Extra storage space (on the cheap!)

MarkShelley

Very similar to Paolo Maldini
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have seen posts regarding tool tubes/rolls and it got me thinking (what is it about the GS that has made me obsessed with nailing things to it?) about something similar to keep waterproofs etc. in. I have givi panniers and I reckon I can put tubes 100mm dia. x 400mm long on both sides of the bike fixed to the insides of the pannier frames. This will give me a total volume of just over 6 litres.
I thought about using either ally or stainless tube but I want them to be as discreet as possible so to save having to paint them I have decided to use 4" dia. black `builders` soil pipe. You can buy screw top capping pieces so it should be pretty straight forward and cheap. Anyone ever attempted this? I will take pics.

Storage tubes

I bought apair of connected tubes that are used to house Mortar shells from a Army surplus store. The only picture I can find is the one I took after my accident. You can just see them behind the Pannier Rails where the Exhaust would normally go.

Attachments

• IMG_0270 [800x600].jpg
    IMG_0270 [800x600].jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 443
I bought apair of connected tubes that are used to house Mortar shells from a Army surplus store. The only picture I can find is the one I took after my accident. You can just see them behind the Pannier Rails where the Exhaust would normally go.

Along with many other tradesmen I have used the soil pipe dodge on my vans for years, very sucessful and indestructable and CHEAP!!!. Buy a length and several people can be supplied. Dunno if it's in any colour but grey,
Dave GS.

Along with many other tradesmen I have used the soil pipe dodge on my vans for years, very sucessful and indestructable and CHEAP!!!. Buy a length and several people can be supplied. Dunno if it's in any colour but grey,
Dave GS.

White, black and brown are available.

How do they fare with the exhaust?

My ally pannier box on the zorst side is burned......on both bikes. Adv still has stand pipe on her.

To be honest I am dumping the soil pipe idea. I had a look round the local builders merchants yesterday and it seems all the threaded `access caps` are made to fit in the widened socket which you get at one end of a soil pipe. This would look a bit naff I reckon. I am now looking into using 100mm ally tube with 1.6mm wall thickness which can be picked up pretty cheap on ebay already cut to length. My only problem then will be working out how to cap one end and make a lid for the other.

Back
Top Bottom