follow the coast down through bulgaria to istambul for a few days
istamul to greek port
ferry to italy
the ride home
in 16 days annual holiday
going on 1 bike with a female friend

any information i can get about
safety
the road taxes for all countrys (got done in austria €65:augie)
best routes
ferry crossings & costs
border crossings
road conditions

i am thinking of going to romania in august 2010
i was thinking of going to visit
draculas castle at bran
transfargan highway
borgo pass
then over to paddle in the black sea
road conditions

from transylvania to black sea you have to pay only one tax (2 Euro) for bridge over danube (cernavoda or harsova)

romaniaaaaa

hi panman...i'm looking at a west/east yoop bash summer '10.maybe ukraine? but bulg,into turkey (instanbul),west to
greece,and up west coasts thru all those mad places alb/maca/croatia,and into italian/french alps.chamonix/geneva/annacy......lol..time?who knows?..looks fun eh.just researching the eastern bit,re visa's,motels etc.like to follow me nose/maps!....tyke

Several castles sell themselves as Dracula's. There's a spectacular one at Hunedoara (Hunyad Castle). Shame it's in the middle of a steelworks.

Attachments

• Dracula (600 x 439).jpg
    Dracula (600 x 439).jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 764
See

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209194

and then feel free to PM me for any additional advice as you think fit. My suggestion: in terms of planning, safety etc. regard Romsania and Bulgaria as you would any other EU Member States.

You will not be disappointed.

Dave

draculas castle at bran
transfargan highway
borgo pass
istamul to greek port
ferry to italy
the ride home

safety
best routes
ferry crossings & costs
border crossings
road conditions

Stay away from the "BAD LANDS" at night:eek:

They carry big guns , hookers stare at you.:augie
There are big trucks all over the mountains 24 hrs.
Deep ditches on sides of roads.
The driving is psycho....:eek:

Apart from that , ye will be fine:thumb2
loverly scenery, and cheap food, watch out for pot holes tho:(

The main road to constanta is very good motorway surface:thumb2

Then you ride through "mangalia" , yer not far away from the coast road to varna Bulgaria wich is a loverly ride :thumb

Good luck

ugg

watch out for the brand new and pristine motorways and highways. You will be zipping along marveling at how empty they are and without warning you will round a bend and the pristine road suddenly stops and you are back on the potholed 50 year old version. I did this once :eek: and kept an eye out thereafter. Going from 70mph to pot holes is interesting :augie

Oh I'm so jealous, we went last year it was fantastic. Bran castle is so cute I could live in it, but Vlad Dracul only visited it for a weekend in 1470-something. You can however have dinner in his house, in a charming little citadel at Sighisoara. We loved it so much we ended up staying 9 days. There are tons of places to stay. Have fun (but I think it'll be blooming hot when you go!) :thumb2

hi Panman, sorry for late reply.

why don't you post here your entry and exit point in Romania. i'm sure there will be few guys who can suggest you some routes.

enjoy your trip!
Bogo

watch out for the brand new and pristine motorways and highways. You will be zipping along marveling at how empty they are and without warning you will round a bend and the pristine road suddenly stops and you are back on the potholed 50 year old version. I did this once :eek: and kept an eye out thereafter. Going from 70mph to pot holes is interesting :augie

looks like i took the same road as you then:D

The only campsite I found in the entire country was here! About a 20 minute ride from "Bran" castle.
I don't think they're really geared up for tourism in Romania. Great country and friendly people... I think the potholes have already been mentioned. :augie

The only campsite I found in the entire country was here! About a 20 minute ride from "Bran" castle.
I don't think they're really geared up for tourism in Romania. Great country and friendly people... I think the potholes have already been mentioned. :augie

plenty of camping, just ask the locals,
this http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe/romania/camping-international-117102/ is the other end (timasoara) but a good enroute site,if your heading hungary/serbia way, take a bungalow at the site, just a few euro,s more
the main prob is a lot of sites are no longer where they say they are on maps, and theres a lot of new uns,
i just pulled local bikers over and asked, most even took me to the sites

draculas castle at bran
transfargan highway
borgo pass
istamul to greek port
ferry to italy
the ride home

safety
best routes
ferry crossings & costs
border crossings
road conditions

I'm looking to do this in July/Aug then on via croatia etc to Italy, so pooling routes and stuff would be good if you dont mind:D

hi panman...i'm looking at a west/east yoop bash summer '10.maybe ukraine? but bulg,into turkey (instanbul),west to
greece,and up west coasts thru all those mad places alb/maca/croatia,and into italian/french alps.chamonix/geneva/annacy......lol..time?who knows?..looks fun eh.just researching the eastern bit,re visa's,motels etc.like to follow me nose/maps!....tyke

This is roughly what I'm looking to do, some hotels some camping.
See

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209194

and then feel free to PM me for any additional advice as you think fit. My suggestion: in terms of planning, safety etc. regard Romsania and Bulgaria as you would any other EU Member States.

You will not be disappointed.

Dave

Dave, read youre trip report last year, excellent, this set me off. You have sent me you're trip log so looking to down load to my 660 once I've got it up and going on new bike. can I also jump in on tips etc:augie

where are the badlands ?

Please do tell:rob

badlands, up in the mountains somewhere, i went through em, just dont stop,
pm gavin bell for info on rumania, he lives there

An International Touring Club that I belong to are having a meeting in Romania in July 2010. If you want, I can get our local man in Romania to contact you if you want any local info

Back
Top Bottom