Lat Long....conversion re my Garmin

team duvet

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

Can anybody please convert below re Garmin type co-ordinates.

Its for a hotel in Spian re next years trip!
:D

Cheers,

TD

X: 70 80 84.29 LAT : 42” 35’ 8,23” N
Y: 47 18 001.81 LONG : 0” 27’ 51,27” W

hotel co ordinates

TD

I. think you have enough there. Use the north and west co ordinates only. Copy and paste the co ordinates into new way point in map source. The ones you have shown look like the ones google earth use, and for some reason google reads mapsource, but mapsource wont read the google without slight alteration. Look at the way mapsource presents its co-ordinates and alter ie The N is at the beginning not the end, and then take out the signs for degrees mins and seconds, leaving a space between every thing except where the seconds are split to the decimal point. I tried it and the hotel is just west of Jaca.
Hope this helps, but if anyone has a faster way let me know, as I have being messing about creating a route where mapsource shows no roads, but google earth shows trails which look well used. This seems to be the only way to create an off road trail, a waypoint before and after each turn. There may already be a discussion on this but havent found it yet.---

Bill

Conversions

Hi all,

Can anybody please convert below re Garmin type co-ordinates.

Its for a hotel in Spian re next years trip!
:D

Cheers,

TD

X: 70 80 84.29 LAT : 42” 35’ 8,23” N
Y: 47 18 001.81 LONG : 0” 27’ 51,27” W

I presume the answer you are looking for is N42 35.137 E000 27.855
You may find you can do this type of conversion on your GPS, online or by a free download prmg, Google is your friend:rob

PS The location you gave appears to be a little off for a hotel (no road) when I checked it in CN Europe NT2010.2 - so double check this

PPS If you like to have an easy xl solution this may work

Attachments

• Geo-gps.xls
    21 KB · Views: 81
Same answer as above As long as you set your preferences are set right to start with - see example:

dialog.jpg

coords N42 35 8.23 W0 27 51.27 use Lat/Lon Hddd mm'ss.s"
coords N42.58562 W0.46424 use Lat/Lon Hdd.ddddd*

Datum should be set to WGS 84 both sets put your hotel here:

bb.jpg

Not so fast

I presume the answer you are looking for is N42 35.137 E000 27.855
You may find you can do this type of conversion on your GPS, online or by a free download prmg, Google is your friend:rob

PS The location you gave appears to be a little off for a hotel (no road) when I checked it in CN Europe NT2010.2 - so double check this

PPS If you like to have an easy xl solution this may work

Sorry, about a small easy to make, but non the less fatal error in my previous post. Such a conversion will not make West become East... The answer you are looking for is N42 35.137 W000 27.855 :D

As RR pointed out the conversion can also be done via Mapsource itself.

"Thanks" to all.........Bikers rest, see you in September! :beerjug:

TD
:type

TD

Hope this helps, but if anyone has a faster way let me know, as I have being messing about creating a route where mapsource shows no roads, but google earth shows trails which look well used. This seems to be the only way to create an off road trail, a waypoint before and after each turn. There may already be a discussion on this but havent found it yet.---

Bill

hi Bill, if you can get a copy of the Toppo Maps for the area(s) you want to go to they drill down really well and make trail riding via a GPS so much easier.

for instance.

France Topo 01 Alps
France Topo 02 Pyrenees +Sud Oest
France Topo 07 Massif Central

will give you the equivelent of a 1:25,000 routable map, showing all the contours, heights, features and routable tracks.

co-ordinates

Hi everyone,

In addition to what I said re co ordinates I forgot to say that the commas inbetween the decimal should be replaced with a decimal point. Mapsource then accepts them and takes you to the place RR has shown. Paul, the spreadsheet is a great idea, I think I will alter it to keep the format which TD has enquired about as this looks like the google format, so you can follow trails easy by copy convert and paste to mapsource. Hope I havent confused anyone but I never looked at this before, i've only planned routes in mapsource itself previously. Thanks for the help.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom