anyone gone from a 11XXGS to a Ten?

Steve the Kiwi

Reaction score
the Netherlands...Hiding behind the dykes...
I'm up for a change. I've a 1100GS now but have been eyeing up a Tenere or a 950 Adventure.
My main concern is that it ill be used 90% on the road (i live in Holland:blast) but want to do more rough exploring in Belguim etc. What is the poke of the Tenere on the road? yes it's got half the engine of a boxer but in the twisties are you left wanting?

And the second angle is.. 950 adv v's Tenere... the 950 weigh's LESS than the Tenere - and the 950 has twice the poke and it's twin.

I have a horn on for both the 950 Adv and the ten but hhmm..

experiences please

I have one of the older 3YF Teneres which has a few bhp less than the new model.
It is brilliant fun to ride, more `fun` than my 1100GS and handles superbly on the Distanzia tyres I have fitted. It all depends what you want to do with them.
For fast A roads or motorways the KTM would be best as the Tenere will feel a bit `busy` at cruising speeds above 75mph, but on bumpier B roads the Tenere will be brilliant.
If you want to do any distance with a pillion definately choose the KTM.
I have four bikes and enjoy my XTZ660 most of all.

Ive got a new tenere and an 1150 adv. The ten is a great solo bike, it feels so much lighter than the 1150. It will do motorways, but is best on back roads, easier to handle of road, but the seat can restrict you if you want to move around. The oe tyres are ok but I will be pleased when Ive worn them out. Typical single, a bit vibey, but part of the feel. If your doing alot of 2 up the better of with the KTM........ Enjoy the shopping around.

I indirectly moved to a current Yam 660z Ten from an 1150GSA via a ktm950Adv and a few ducatis plus odds and sods like a ktm640Duke. The current ten is a lot more nimble than either the 1150GSA or the Ktm950A though it does lack the the top end of the Ktm and doesnt quite have the grunt of the bimmer. That said it will cruise at 80+ indicated where legal, it just lacks a bit of umph for short gap overtakes. Offroad its a better bike than I'm a rider and I think its more limited by the size of your crystals once its fitted with more offroad focused tyres. As to big single vibes its no worse than my Duke was and has reasonable weather protection though it can be buffety?/noisy for some riders.
PS the Ten is a hoot in the twisties and can lead you into backend squealing temptation if you're that way inclined , on the stock Siracs which seem to have bags of grip in the dry and nice and controllable in the wet (care taken).

Hi Mate, Ive just switched from an 1150GS to a new Ten, £5850 OTR, pick it up next week.
Its an '09 model in black. I've ridden one a few times and apart from the awful seat love it.
looking round for a better seat, hot grips and hand guards, otherwise its great right out of the box.
Best of luck in your search.

Hi Mate, Ive just switched from an 1150GS to a new Ten, £5850 OTR, pick it up next week.
Its an '09 model in black. I've ridden one a few times and apart from the awful seat love it.
looking round for a better seat, hot grips and hand guards, otherwise its great right out of the box.

Congrats on the new bike:beerjug:
My search for a new bike has been back burner'ed with the buying of a house:blast

Were abouts in the south west are you, I had the hump trimmed off on my seat

Were abouts in the south west are you, I had the hump trimmed off on my seat

I was with you and the gang on your ride out ages a go, was very impressed with your Ten and now I've got mine, love it, seat is not good but bike is great.
Im in Bath. when is your next ride? The last on e was great even though the weather was shit.

I was with you and the gang on your ride out ages a go, was very impressed with your Ten and now I've got mine, love it, seat is not good but bike is great.
Im in Bath. when is your next ride? The last on e was great even though the weather was shit.

You just missed the last one which was about middle of May. I am off the France at the end of June (800 miles off roading). I will be doing another one later on, keep an eye out in the south west section.:beerjug:

If you need more info on your bike then get your self over to xt660.com, loads of info :thumb

You just missed the last one which was about middle of May. I am off the France at the end of June (800 miles off roading). I will be doing another one later on, keep an eye out in the south west section.:beerjug:

If you need more info on your bike then get your self over to xt660.com, loads of info :thumb

Have great time in France! Ha ve subscribed to XT660.com, good site.

See ya soon, ride safe! :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom