France & The Pyrenees (camping): 11 days – July 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farrow730

Reaction score
The Grand Plan is...

Depart: Thurs 1/7/10. Early Tunnel crossing, Down through France on A Roads via Rouen, le Mans, Poitiers to the Western Pyrenees (Est. 2.5 longish days – not hanging about, approx 700 miles /20 hours riding time).

Sunday & Monday: Camping in the ‘Parc National Des Pyrenees’ (France), to allow for a bit of exploration of the area, riding some nice bendy roads, good food/wine, or whatever else you like to do.

Tuesday & Wednesday: Move west to a campsite in the Parc Natural del Cadi-Moixero (Spain). Again stopping for couple of nights for a bit of adventuring.

Thursday – Either stay put if it’s nice, or head up back into France toward the Massif Central and camp here the night. (approx 250 miles / 6-7 hours riding).

Friday - Sunday: (If still in Spain get up early and haul arse Northward towards Calais – non motorway route). Or carry on up through the Massif Central and on to Bourges, Orleans & West of Paris to Calais (550 miles / 10 hours riding time). Again staying off the motorways - until we absolutely have to jump on one to make the crossing back. Est. 2.5 longish days – definitely not hanging about.

Sunday – 2pm crossing to give everyone a chance to get home.

(Total 11 days)

Anyone welcome BUT!!! You must...
definately have a Sat Nav & Map (and know how to use them)
• be prepared to do your bit of ‘trail blazing’ at the front (it ain’t a free guided tour).
• come on something that can do 200+ miles on a tank of juice,
• be able to ride a good 7 hour day (to get across France – once we’re down there you can do as much or as little as you like).

As we will be avoiding motorways, the ideal way to cross France quickly, is in a couple groups of 3 or 4 (assuming there’s that much interest in the trip). All riding the same route we can sort out where to meet up for nice leisurely lunches and overnight stops. (In my experience we’ll make better progress if we’re not all strung out in one group over half a mile, all following the leader and having to stop and re-group every time half of us gets caught at traffic lights).

So if you want to combine good (quick) riding, good company, fantastic roads and a bit of French & Spanish scenery and food & wine culture, Let me know.

P.S. Though it will be a fast one down there and back, the emphasis is on riding 'holiday' not endurance test.

The Grand Plan is...

Depart: Thurs 1/7/10. Early Tunnel crossing, Down through France on A Roads via Rouen, le Mans, Poitiers to the Western Pyrenees (Est. 2.5 longish days – not hanging about, approx 700 miles /20 hours riding time).

Sunday & Monday: Camping in the ‘Parc National Des Pyrenees’ (France), to allow for a bit of exploration of the area, riding some nice bendy roads, good food/wine, or whatever else you like to do.

Tuesday & Wednesday: Move west to a campsite in the Parc Natural del Cadi-Moixero (Spain). Again stopping for couple of nights for a bit of adventuring.

Thursday – Either stay put if it’s nice, or head up back into France toward the Massif Central and camp here the night. (approx 250 miles / 6-7 hours riding).

Friday - Sunday: (If still in Spain get up early and haul arse Northward towards Calais – non motorway route). Or carry on up through the Massif Central and on to Bourges, Orleans & West of Paris to Calais (550 miles / 10 hours riding time). Again staying off the motorways - until we absolutely have to jump on one to make the crossing back. Est. 2.5 longish days – definitely not hanging about.

Sunday – 2pm crossing to give everyone a chance to get home.

(Total 11 days)

Anyone welcome BUT!!! You must...
definately have a Sat Nav & Map (and know how to use them)
• be prepared to do your bit of ‘trail blazing’ at the front (it ain’t a free guided tour).
• come on something that can do 200+ miles on a tank of juice,
• be able to ride a good 7 hour day (to get across France – once we’re down there you can do as much or as little as you like).

As we will be avoiding motorways, the ideal way to cross France quickly, is in a couple groups of 3 or 4 (assuming there’s that much interest in the trip). All riding the same route we can sort out where to meet up for nice leisurely lunches and overnight stops. (In my experience we’ll make better progress if we’re not all strung out in one group over half a mile, all following the leader and having to stop and re-group every time half of us gets caught at traffic lights).

So if you want to combine good (quick) riding, good company, fantastic roads and a bit of French & Spanish scenery and food & wine culture, Let me know.

P.S. Though it will be a fast one down there and back, the emphasis is on riding 'holiday' not endurance test.
Farrow, this sounds interesting. Did a trip to Croatia with a number of others from this site last year. A lot of us camped and we did some serious miles on some great roads. I was thinking of doing a trip down through France and into Spain next year so this sounds just right for me.
I'll keep an eye on the post and will make sure one or two of the guys I met last year see it.

Sound's great and if I was a lot younger I would be interested ... Kind of getting on a bit now and Being a bit of a plodder ... The hight speed run down there I don't think I could keep up ... Any way I've posted a trip to Spain in May that you may be interested in ... But if you are booked and ready to roll ... It wont be of much interest ... Any way wish you luck ... Sound's a nice trip ...
John933

A Map (always useful)!!

This is roughly the route I had in mind.

Attachments

• map france.jpg
    map france.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 656
This is roughly the route I had in mind.

Having been several times I'd go Portsmouth to Caen on the FastCat (Brittany Farries), it's not stupidly more money and you get rid of the crap bits up near Calais, the savings in Petrol (and almost a days ride including the return) pays the difference.

Just get the heck out of Caen by fast road, we tried smaler roads and it took us 2 hours to get 'properly out of Caen as the port is next to the town. If your sneaky you can easily wild camp or find a municipal site for peanuts.:thumb2

Having been several times I'd go Portsmouth to Caen on the FastCat (Brittany Farries), it's not stupidly more money and you get rid of the crap bits up near Calais, the savings in Petrol (and almost a days ride including the return) pays the difference.

Just get the heck out of Caen by fast road, we tried smaler roads and it took us 2 hours to get 'properly out of Caen as the port is next to the town. If your sneaky you can easily wild camp or find a municipal site for peanuts.:thumb2
Having traveled both routes on a few occasions I would agree that getting rid of the 'crap' bits round Calais is well worth a thought.
Had a look at distances, prices and times: Currently for £125 return including seat on the ferry we could catch the 8.15 (gets in to Caen at 1500 hrs) going and the high speed return at 12.15 which gets in at 3 ish.
Travel from the East of England is only about 30 miles more to Portsmouth.

Better sstill.... Avoid half of the truly crap French roads by geting the overnight ferry down to santander... Do the Picos, then go across and do the whole length of the pyrenees.... I would never ride down through france... it's just too boring.

Cherbourg V Calais

Crossing to Cherbourge will save about 120 miles (on Calais), but costs £100 more. Caen or St Malo saves more miles - but there's no fast crossing, so it's pricey (not even looking at Santander as I'm still too young to go on a cruise!:toungincheek)

The plus on the Tunnel is you can get an earlier crossing (Portmouth- Cherbourge arrives a 3pm + unloading), so landing earlier means I'm on holiday sooner + getting a shifty on will get us further into France. On the other hand, I've not crossed to Normandy before so it's a part of France I'd be happy to take a look at - so either/or as far as I'm concerened.

Forgot to add...

Do we have any real interested travellers yet?

Last edited:
Crossing to Cherbourge will save about 120 miles (on Calais), but costs £100 more. Caen or St Malo saves more miles - but there's no fast crossing, so it's pricey (not even looking at Santander as I'm still too young to go on a cruise!:toungincheek)

The plus on the Tunnel is you can get an earlier crossing (Portmouth- Cherbourge arrives a 3pm + unloading), so landing earlier means I'm on holiday sooner + getting a shifty on will get us further into France. On the other hand, I've not crossed to Normandy before so it's a part of France I'd be happy to take a look at - so either/or as far as I'm concerened.

There is a fast crossing to both ports, one does a Friday the other a Monday, we're going this way in April. As for saving time, yes the tunnel is quick but I'd rather skip that nasty bit of France 'op north'.

As for the D-Day sites, they would need a good few days to do properly, but there are a couple of places to have a quick (and free!) flavour, such as 'Pointe Du Hoc'

800px-Moderndaypointeduhoc.jpg

But it'll suck the time from getting south.....:blast

Love to come, but I'm heading for the U-Boat pens (St Nazaire) in April and Norway in July/August.

Forgot to add...

Do we have any real interested travellers yet?
Yup. And I haven't any fixed ideas about where - though France to Spain is where I'd planned to go. Just want to ride some nice roads, eat some nice food, camp preferably but hotel is good too. Good company and chilling out is the order of the day.:jager

Better sstill.... Avoid half of the truly crap French roads by geting the overnight ferry down to santander... Do the Picos, then go across and do the whole length of the pyrenees.... I would never ride down through france... it's just too boring.

I agree,even if you get the ferry one way down to spain,then travel
across france on the way back.

I tend to agree too, it drops you right there after drinking beer and eating food and sleeping rather than having to force yourself down through france. Saves probably 3 days travelling and you`re not knackered when you get there.

I tend to agree too, it drops you right there after drinking beer and eating food and sleeping rather than having to force yourself down through france. Saves probably 3 days travelling and you`re not knackered when you get there.

If I came off at Santander there is better riding in Spain or even head down to Portugal, in fact you on for Morocco! France is worth the ride (like most places) if you stay off the Autoroutes, but hey one man's meat is another's poison...

I'd agree with taking a route either home or to via Santander, I'd come back to give a 24 hour rest at the end of the trip not when your itching to go!

Yup. And I haven't any fixed ideas about where - though France to Spain is where I'd planned to go. Just want to ride some nice roads, eat some nice food, camp preferably but hotel is good too. Good company and chilling out is the order of the day.:jager

I thought the thunder & lighting we had in prague,put you off
camping peter. Take some earplugs with you just in case.

I thought the thunder & lighting we had in prague,put you off
camping peter. Take some earplugs with you just in case.

Wasn't the thunder & lightning - just got a bit grumpy after walking about five miles round the outskirts of Prague to find a Hotel that was right in the centre! Why didn't we just catch a taxi? Would have been about one euro each. Caught one back to the camsite - no hassle.
Must meet up for a beer sometime and you can tell me where you're riding to this year.

I could be interested in joining in your little foray down south, if you have room for one more?
Any major changes to what is already planned?
Have tried to PM Farrow730 but for some reason it won't go through?

thanks

Hi All :thumb2
We (3 off us on GS's :rolleyes:) will be doing the same trip a day later than you, LD lines now have a fast cat between Portsmouth and Le Harve. Phoned up and booked over night (Fri) with a bunk :ymca and fast cat back (following Sat) all for £102 ea :JB
Why 2.5 day to get down there? :nenau We avoid all the toll roads :augie and play on the back roads :green gri :augie :drool

I could be interested in joining in your little foray down south, if you have room for one more?
Any major changes to what is already planned?
Have tried to PM Farrow730 but for some reason it won't go through?

thanks
Hi Snow White, I've been having a problem getting in contact with Farrow730 too. However I'm still interested in this trip and he was the last time we were in contact. You'd be very welcome. As to changes to the route, I guess we have a talk about that nearer the time and go with what we're all happiest with. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom