MICRO SD-Does it need to be removed?

Martin S

Reaction score
Just got a Zumo 660 and everything loaded etc. but I don't understand why the SD card needs to be removed to load music/pictures etc.

On my computer when I link the Zumo it comes up as drive K and L. L seems to be the SD card , so opening a new window why not just copy and paste?

Does the manual for the Zumo 660 say that you have to remove the card to load data onto it?

The manual for my BMW Navigator IV - a Zumo 660 in a posh frock - says that you should load data onto the card in just the way that you've described. That's what I'd expect and without reading the manual is what I'd have done.

OK, I have probably misunderstood.

I thought I'd read on here that one of the disadvantages of a 660 was that it was difficult to take out the Micro SD card. I assumed that the card was being taken out to save data on it.:hide

OK, I have probably misunderstood.

I thought I'd read on here that one of the disadvantages of a 660 was that it was difficult to take out the Micro SD card. I assumed that the card was being taken out to save data on it.:hide

So is this an admission that you didn't RTFM.....? :augie

Yes, the Micro SD is a bit of pain to remove in that you have to open the battery compartment and remove the battery to get at the card. However, if you buy a large card, you're not going to need to remove it to change it for another one too often. I believe that Micro SDHC cards of up to 16GB are supported.

I put a 8GB in when I got mine, not been out since - I just download to the drive that pops up. Created a "MP3" folder and then org everything in there.

cheers

Markie

XX GB

So is this an admission that you didn't RTFM.....? :augie

Yes, the Micro SD is a bit of pain to remove in that you have to open the battery compartment and remove the battery to get at the card. However, if you buy a large card, you're not going to need to remove it to change it for another one too often. I believe that Micro SDHC cards of up to 16GB are supported.

I have had a 16 GB in my 660 since day one (2009-06-13). Garmin does not reccomend the use of double digit GB cards, (but that appears to have more to do with the loading/start up time for the unit and the like, than with any thing else). They did confirm it should work how ever, and it has:)

The SD card doesnt need to be removed to load up music. I did however find it faster to have the SD card plugged directly into the PC.
As an aside, if you are using Itunes as your main music source before moving the music ont the SD card I used the Genre column to rename the music into playlists. Now , on a 8gb card, I have a series of playlists that can be seen/accessed through the Genre option on the Garmin. Great for those long rides.

The sole reason to remove the Micro-SD card is to share routes, waypoints etc with another Zumo user when you are on the road, not near a PC & USB cable. :)

You can share with a 550 user too, as long as you have a standard SD card adapter.

Back
Top Bottom