What Spares to carry

BOB UK

Reaction score
I’m starting to put together a kit of parts to carry on my R100GS Airhead when I go touring so far Iv got clutch and throttle cables spark plugs a HT lead Iv got a coil on its way but was thinking of carrying an ignition module to this end does any one know a unipart or Lucas part no for this as im in the motor trade that will be a lot cheaper than a B.M.W. part also what do you carry????
Apart from an R.A.C. card

Bob,

It's always good to carry a spare carb diaphragm, also a bulb set if your travelling on the continent, tubless tyre repair kit, or pre fill your tyres with that green "slime" sealant. Maybe a carrier pigeon, and some gaffer tape.

Stu

Always carry half a dozen nuts various sizes and cable ties, set of cables,coil a good idea,plugs a must. I carry a spare litre of petrol for the guys you meet at the side of the road run out! Just about everything else can be posted to you in europe if your'e touring so keep the phone numbers in your tool kit.

BOB UK said:
I’m starting to put together a kit of parts to carry on my R100GS Airhead when I go touring so far Iv got clutch and throttle cables spark plugs a HT lead Iv got a coil on its way but was thinking of carrying an ignition module

The hall effect sensors fail MUCH more frequently than the ignition modcule.

Frok oil seals.

Another thing to carry is the alternator rotor. With the tool to pull it.

moto bins

Speak to steve at moto bins

He suggested that I take...

replacement rotor (and fit voltmeter for diagnosis)
carb diaphram
black box
rocker cover gasket
cables
a 10mm barrel thing for cables(?) easily lost but cheap and important
the 3 gear box selector mechanism springs
lamps/fuses

Very helpful chap!

Where are you going?

If you going to deepest Africa or somewhere similar, take all that was suggested and more, as you'll be realy on your own.
But a trip to Europe?
Almost the same you'll take to a trip to lands' end, and a conversation guide to the relevant language. There's nothing in these bike a reasnable mechanic and auto electrician cant handle, and you'll find them anywhere in the western world.

Puncture kit
Spare bulbs
Ties, fuses, spare length of electric wire, steel wire
Tools - the BMW kit plus a wisegrip and big screwdriver
torch, a flashing cycle led torch for night emergency stop.
A towing rope. Metal epoxy.

That is what I take even to the desert, as I'll prefer phoning a tow service than open the gearbox or whatever in the middle of nowhere. And to the desert I'll go with at least another bike.

Miky

quick steel
cable ties
electricians tape
gaffer tape
bulbs (MUST HAVE IN EU)
siphon pipe
alu tape
condoms
dirty mags...
snot rags
emmmm pants ...emm,,,,

in EU take NOTHING except your credit card

Tin bath, so you can clean up after you've fixed the bike.

:)

Plastic film canisters of grease & Copperslip. I also take a colour photocopy of the wiring diagram & an A4 page listing the torque settings/clearances etc & the tools I've found best suited for the job for various service procedures - can e-mail you a copy of this list if you want?

As mentioned earlier, cable ties, insulting tape & a selection of commonly used fasteners are valuable but don't take up much space. Pencil type pressure guage is good, avaoid a digital one unless it's well protected against vibes (talking from experience:( )

Steve

My 2p....

From my RTW trip prep list (which has been used as a basis by others apparently)

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/tstories/kelly/TripPreparation.html

BTW you can fit stacks of stuff under the starter motor cover and cable tie things like levers in all sorts of places.

Spares...

Tubes front and rear for emergency
Head lamp bulb
Stop tail bulb
Selection of fuses
Spark plugs
Oil cooler bypass
Secondhand rotor
Alternator brush and spring set
Speedo cable
Rubber exhaust mount bush
Spare clutch lever
Spare brake lever
Crush washer and 'O' ring kit
Fuel filters
Oil filters and o rings
Oil filter gaskets
Sundry crush washers (oil cooler, brake line) Drain plug
Valve cover gaskets
Brake pads
Coil
CDI
Front and rear spokes and nipples
Valve cores
Carb diaphragms
Fork seals
Sundry nuts and bolts
Clutch cable
Throttle cables
Oil for top ups
Regulator
1m petrol pipe
Split pins
Spare keys hidden on bike
Spare pannier mounts

Spares to consider...
Driveshaft
Pushrod seals
Fork seals
Base gaskets
Relays
Diode board (not needed on later paralever GS with factory solid mounts)

Steptoe said:
Tin bath, so you can clean up after you've fixed the bike.

Nar .. rubber gloves mate.. pink ones so you old farts can find 'em. The bellstafs are good coveralls and need the reoil to keep the water out.

'Ere yer need a spare 'firefly' - the things you have on the end of your valve stems .. they light up to counter act forces using the light photons. Yer need a spare incase one fails. Fitted to all the better collector vehicles.

Araldite & cotton wool ; mix the two together and they cover and seal/support any type of hole or damage. I temporarely fixed a hole in my rocker cover while abroad, it lasted six years before i got around to replacing the cover, not because it started leaking, but because i got another cover at a good price.

;) ;)

Just get on the bike with lot's of faith and pray it will make it. Worked for me most of the time.

Cables, they go you don't go - clutch & throttle
A can of that self inlfating stuff I think it is called Tyreweld.
Fuses
Wallet
Mobile phone
Water & peanuts or chocies (The wait can be long)
RAC/AA card.

maverick said:
Mobile phone
Water & peanuts or chocies (The wait can be long)
RAC/AA card.

In my Guzzi-riding previous life, a good book.
"What am I doing here?" by Bruce Chatwin seemed an ironic (or precient) choice as I, the non-motive Convert and a large pool of smoking ATF awaited the recovery service...

Personally, I'd buy a different bike to do any serious touring. Oh, I did.
My experience is that every other trip I did on my 100GS it broke down in some way and I had to curtail the holiday and limp home. These bikes are getting old now and getting break down cover is sometimes difficult.
I retired my GS to the UK only trips where I'm covered by RAC.

Strap a second bike to the one your riding, just in case!. Yes the R100's and R80's are getting old but they will do the miles and can be sorted just about anywhere on the planet, no plug in diagnostic facilities in most of the non developed world. Part of the fun is phoning Motorworks/Motobins/Sherlocks and giving an exotic address for delivery. If you prep the bike no worries.

Back
Top Bottom