Kuwait-Scotland in 2010

MadJock

Reaction score
I'm currently planning a ride from Kuwait to Aberdeen after my work contract ends in March next year. Present routing looks like Kuwait, Saudi, Jordan, Syria (possibly a side step into Lebanon), Turkey, Bulgaria, Greece, then up through the Balkans (if stable, or a hop on a ferry to Italy if not), Macedonia, Albania, Montenegro, Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia, Italy, France and into UK. Any advice or hints and tips gratefully received, particularly on things/places on such a route 'not to be missed'. I'm also looking for buddies to join part/all of the trip although there are a couple of Kuwaitis who may well be coming along at least to Lebanon/Syria.
Cheers,
Dave

www.LifeIsJoy.nl

Hi dave,
Perhaps fun to watch our videos and read some storys from our travels around the world: www.LifeIsJoy.nl
Enjoy!

Dave,

March is still too close to winter in europe still, it is a trip I am contemplating for next year as well from Saudi to UK but March is too early for me having just returned from Xmas vacation.

Never been through Syria so, was wondering if it is possible to buy a transit visa and insurance at the border crossing from Jordan!

Was thinking of going via Italy from Cesme' to Brindisi on the ferry in Turkey.
Also, where could I buy insurance for europe on a bike with export plates?

I am only 200kms from Q8 city and fancy a trip up to get the bike serviced at Tristar.

Steve
1150GSA

Bear in mind that Turkey can still be quite cold in March, particularly the east. So don't expect to be riding into med weather. You will need to have all your papers in order to cross into Turkey, and remember to keep to the speed limits unless you want to get stopped to pay fines on the way out. I've a feeling that the ferries to Italy, from Cesme, only operates between June and September, but I could be wrong....check to confirm. Igoumenitsa in Greece to Italy might be a better bet.

Drop me a PM if there's specific you need to know. If you are coming I can put together a short "must see" list of places you can stop at on your way through.

Dave,

March is still too close to winter in europe still, it is a trip I am contemplating for next year as well from Saudi to UK but March is too early for me having just returned from Xmas vacation.

Never been through Syria so, was wondering if it is possible to buy a transit visa and insurance at the border crossing from Jordan!

Was thinking of going via Italy from Cesme' to Brindisi on the ferry in Turkey.
Also, where could I buy insurance for europe on a bike with export plates?

I am only 200kms from Q8 city and fancy a trip up to get the bike serviced at Tristar.

Steve
1150GSA

Steve - I know what you mean about timing, it's damn cold here in Kuwait at the moment anytime after 4:00 pm! I'm finishing here at end of March but haven't quite decided yet if I'm heading straight off on the bike or taking the company paid flight home then returning to Kuwait to cancel residency and all that stuff, which would mean I'll be on the road later in April or May.
For Syria you need to apply for a visa in advance (like Saudi) and since I aim to dip into Lebanon, I'm going for a multiple entry one. Insurance I've yet to suss. Likewise for Europe riding on export plates, but I believe it's do-able.
I've now plotted a notional route up through the Balkans as contact with other trippers (mainly on on Advrider) has convinced me it's unmissable. I'll post a Googlemaps link when it's finalised.
Let me know if you are coming up this way and we could meet up for a drink (hah, if only!) to compare notes and plans. Cheers, Dave.

Bear in mind that Turkey can still be quite cold in March, particularly the east. So don't expect to be riding into med weather. You will need to have all your papers in order to cross into Turkey, and remember to keep to the speed limits unless you want to get stopped to pay fines on the way out. I've a feeling that the ferries to Italy, from Cesme, only operates between June and September, but I could be wrong....check to confirm. Igoumenitsa in Greece to Italy might be a better bet.

Drop me a PM if there's specific you need to know. If you are coming I can put together a short "must see" list of places you can stop at on your way through.

Hi Expat, thanks for the good steer re. climate in the early part of the year. As in my reply to Steve above, I'm seriously thinking about leaving the start date till a little later.
I've been reading a lot about riding in Turkey and am really looking forward to it (traffic cops aside!). So far, after entering from Syria, I aim to mainly follow the Med coast round to Fethiye, then up to Izmir-Balikesir-Bursa-Istanbul, then Edirne and over the border to Bulgaria. I'll pm you my notional route when it's ready and will be very grateful for any advice - I've seen quite a few of your posts on here and respect the quality of your advice to others. Thanks again, Dave

Salam Madjock,
I have just been for a ride down to Al-Hasa with the HOG boys; and besides getting an earache from too many open pipes, it was cold when the sun is not up. Getting back after dark left me shivering (must be getting soft :comfort).

I hope to come to Kuwait City Feb 11-13 and get the bike serviced and meet up with some other riders for Friday bikers breakfast at the Radisson (we are not talking the sandwich van on the A6). I am only 250kms away south on the east coast.

i will sometime this year change from my normal work schedule of 5x2 days off to 6x3 weeks off, working offshore. Therefore, the need to take the bike back home (or sell it); and the thought of a long ride during a 3 week break would be more rewarding than air freighting it.

I had thought of Jordan, Syria, Turkey (Ces'me) and ferry to Brindisi in Italy and the Eurozone. From there it is just to follow the Roman road to London and all points North.

Met another Beemer rider 'KuwaitKeith' on the Gabfesters site and hope to meet him while there for a chat.

Steve in Saudi :hide

Up trough the balkans

up through the Balkans (if stable, or a hop on a ferry to Italy if not),

Hi Madjock,

It's peaceful and stable in the Balkans for many years now, you can ride it
easily, and countries are beautiful. If you will ride slowly, also the weather will
be warmer on the way north.In Slovenia in April we can ride normally,but it's also possible that there will be a lot of rain.

Regards,

Sebastjan

Salam Madjock,
I have just been for a ride down to Al-Hasa with the HOG boys; and besides getting an earache from too many open pipes, it was cold when the sun is not up. Getting back after dark left me shivering (must be getting soft :comfort).

I hope to come to Kuwait City Feb 11-13 and get the bike serviced and meet up with some other riders for Friday bikers breakfast at the Radisson (we are not talking the sandwich van on the A6). I am only 250kms away south on the east coast.

i will sometime this year change from my normal work schedule of 5x2 days off to 6x3 weeks off, working offshore. Therefore, the need to take the bike back home (or sell it); and the thought of a long ride during a 3 week break would be more rewarding than air freighting it.

I had thought of Jordan, Syria, Turkey (Ces'me) and ferry to Brindisi in Italy and the Eurozone. From there it is just to follow the Roman road to London and all points North.

Met another Beemer rider 'KuwaitKeith' on the Gabfesters site and hope to meet him while there for a chat.

Steve in Saudi :hide

wa alaykum as salaam Rugged, sounds like breakfast at the SAS on Feb 12 then! I might also have a better idea by then when I'm likely to be hitting the road, but it's already looking like later (April/May) rather than the end of March.

up through the Balkans (if stable, or a hop on a ferry to Italy if not),

Hi Madjock,

It's peaceful and stable in the Balkans for many years now, you can ride it
easily, and countries are beautiful. If you will ride slowly, also the weather will
be warmer on the way north.In Slovenia in April we can ride normally,but it's also possible that there will be a lot of rain.

Regards,

Sebastjan

Thanks seba 1, other replies above and on another site have convinced me that the Balkan countries are unmissable so I've plotted a notional course to take in the sights from Albania through to Slovenia. Rain? Who cares...
Thanks again. MJ

MadJock,
Riding to Q8 on Thursday and booked the bike in for a service Saturday morning at Tristar workshop.
I can only use txt messaging out of the Kingdom on my mobile and can be contaacted on 00966 50 827 1119.

There is another two UK expats who ride Beemers that I know of also in the Kuwait.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom