What to look for

jimmystewpot

Reaction score
Hi There,

I've been thinking about getting a new "proper" dirt bike.. I currently own and use my R1200GS Adventure offroad but want something a little more nimble for taking out down single tracks etc where the R1200 is just too big.

I've been looking at all the usual suspects like the Honda CRF450X, Husaberg, Husqvarna etc.. I've found some really good value G450X's that seem to be in perfect condition. I'm wondering why there are a handful of 2009 bikes for sale? Are there any items that I should be looking for?

I've done all the usual tech checks and they look to be almost perfect. Some have been raced and they are even cheaper.. I am wondering if its just depreciation at a higher rate than the equiv KTM's for example?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks

Jimmy.

Plenty of dealers had demo bikes, many of which went to 'try-out days', and were milked from new. These are the bikes your seeing on the dealer websites that look mint.
There was a 'recall' for plastics, but I reckon it was a good cover up to allow battered bikes to be given a make-over with all the white plastic being replaced.
There have been folk buying the bike as a trail bike, myself included, and it has been nice to own and use something different and a first of it's breed. Ok, I may take a big hit on it when I sell it, but trail bikes are bottomless pits, so I am not bothered. I have plenty of other trail bikes here, so selling one at a real loss ain't no big deal.
The extortionate service regime has crippled values, and has also cost BMW customers on the new sale front. But, all the new vein of enduo bikes carry similar servicing needs, but without the warranty backing that the GX has.
I have 100 hours on mine now, and the oil has been changed every 10hours, and air filter same as stated in the service schedule. But, the full stripand inspect at 70 hours was not done, the bike has never been to the rev-limiter, nor hammered so this is total overkill on my specific bike. At every ride I look and listen to the engine for signs of approaching failures and that is it..... same as all my other bikes, fix it when it is broken.

If you want the bike buy it, but be careful as there will be some sow's ears dressed as silk purses..... as there is with other second hand brands.....:augie

Timpo.

Hi There,

I've been thinking about getting a new "proper" dirt bike.. I currently own and use my R1200GS Adventure offroad but want something a little more nimble for taking out down single tracks etc where the R1200 is just too big.

I've been looking at all the usual suspects like the Honda CRF450X, Husaberg, Husqvarna etc.. I've found some really good value G450X's that seem to be in perfect condition. I'm wondering why there are a handful of 2009 bikes for sale? Are there any items that I should be looking for?

I've done all the usual tech checks and they look to be almost perfect. Some have been raced and they are even cheaper.. I am wondering if its just depreciation at a higher rate than the equiv KTM's for example?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks

Jimmy.

The G450X is a great bike (I have one) but needs money spending up front to sort it out - as long as you are prepared to do that, it will provide you with a top end bike. IMO softer seat and a revalve of the front shocks are required for starters - £500 there. Another 800 for a fancy akro pipe to raise the power. It can a also be a bit fierce going off throttle, but none of this is unusual for for a comp bike. However if you just want to thrash around off road, for not too much money, I'd suggest starting with something like a Yam WR250F. It's a slightly lighter bike and has more than enough power for a newbie and probably requires just a little less maint. Unless you are into MX specifically, go for an Enduro bike - engines are typically softer making them more trackable and gearing is better for general off road. Huskys, KTM, Husaberg - all great bikes but are highly tuned and all need equivalent attention to the BWM in their own ways.

Plenty of dealers had demo bikes, many of which went to 'try-out days', and were milked from new. These are the bikes your seeing on the dealer websites that look mint.
There was a 'recall' for plastics, but I reckon it was a good cover up to allow battered bikes to be given a make-over with all the white plastic being replaced.
There have been folk buying the bike as a trail bike, myself included, and it has been nice to own and use something different and a first of it's breed. Ok, I may take a big hit on it when I sell it, but trail bikes are bottomless pits, so I am not bothered. I have plenty of other trail bikes here, so selling one at a real loss ain't no big deal.
The extortionate service regime has crippled values, and has also cost BMW customers on the new sale front. But, all the new vein of enduo bikes carry similar servicing needs, but without the warranty backing that the GX has.
I have 100 hours on mine now, and the oil has been changed every 10hours, and air filter same as stated in the service schedule. But, the full stripand inspect at 70 hours was not done, the bike has never been to the rev-limiter, nor hammered so this is total overkill on my specific bike. At every ride I look and listen to the engine for signs of approaching failures and that is it..... same as all my other bikes, fix it when it is broken.

If you want the bike buy it, but be careful as there will be some sow's ears dressed as silk purses..... as there is with other second hand brands.....:augie

Timpo.

Well put that man. :thumb

The 450 is great straight out of the box. The seat is OK you should be standing a lot of the time and seat makes you do this I've found the front of the bike OK, I suppose it depends on your weight:aidan. I've never found any problems with the throttle.

The more I ride the 450 the more I learn how to handle this bike. It out climbs most other bikes and on the fast sections it blows most other bikes out the back. The rear grip is fantastic and you don't need much throttle at all to pull you round very tight step clay corners. I like the front tyre for grip in the muddy corners I'm not sure about the rear yet but seems to be ok.

Back
Top Bottom