Enjoying Off Roading.........again now!!!!

JohnnyBoxer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After a 15 year lay-off from Trials Riding (Trail Riding in the interim).....I returned to Club Trials again and entered my first event last Bank Holiday Monday.

The event was an 'Easy Trial' and I ended up 21st out of 46.........so not too bad ........and dropped marks on the easy sections (not concentrating, DOH).....

So now I'll be riding Trials as often as possible (whilst fitting in GS riding and all other interests/duties).....

Also it's something that Jo can come along to and watch (whereas Trail riding is generally a male occupation)

The main reasons I gave up Trail riding were similar to a lot of people...........

Too much hype from main bike press........leading to 'all and sundry' taking it up and riding everywhere.........mainly illegally

Large groups of fast riders 'blatting across the Yorkshire Dales and Moors'..........spoiling my and others enjoyment

All the proposed legislation and the threat of a Ban on motorised vehicles on Trails (which I hope won't happen..........but at present it's looking pretty inevitable..........which will lead to more illegal riding)

However if you fancy a bit of technical off-roading for fun and sport, with generally a very social day out...........take a look at Trials Riding...........it's the cheapest form of Motorsport.......

Here's a pic at the start with a clean bike

Attachments

• pickering trial start 3-5-2004_web.jpg
    pickering trial start 3-5-2004_web.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 335
Easy does it on the loose shale.........

Attachments

• pickering trial 3 -5 -2004 section 3_web.jpg
    pickering trial 3 -5 -2004 section 3_web.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 318
Steeper than it looks and bumpy.............the hardest section on the whole trial.........the descent was preceded by a steep climb with zero run - up (after a tight turn)

Attachments

• pickering trial 3-5-2004 descending section 6_web.jpg
    pickering trial 3-5-2004 descending section 6_web.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 304
Out of the section ends cards.........

Attachments

• pickering trial 3-5-2004 exiting section 2_web.jpg
    pickering trial 3-5-2004 exiting section 2_web.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 294
Another........

Attachments

• pickering trial 3-5-2004 on section 7_web.jpg
    pickering trial 3-5-2004 on section 7_web.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 271
Another

Attachments

• pickering trial 3-5-2004 on section 8_web.jpg
    pickering trial 3-5-2004 on section 8_web.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 267
The net result...................a very muddy new bike and a knackered......but happy rider.
It all helps with road riding skills though...........it's a question of balance .........??

Attachments

• pickering trial 3-5-2004 muddy bike after the trial_web.jpg
    pickering trial 3-5-2004 muddy bike after the trial_web.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 274
Nice one JB. Glad to hear you are well balanced.

Not ridden my XR280 for 13 months now!! Although I did start it up today. :eek:

A few rocky, muddy lanes on GSPD this afternoon got me back in the mood though. :)

Tim

What would the initial cost be to enter this sport? i.e. Cheapish bike , club fee's etc. Have always been intrigued by trail riding but thought it was an expensive sport. Had a look around at prices on oldish trail bikes and could not find anything under £1500 to start out with.

Can you participate in this sport anywhere around England or is it limited to certain sections?

Cheers
:gringo

....Johnny .. are you 'avin to stand up cos someone stole the seat?:eek:

...looks a pricy bit of kit ..fancy frame an all......got any details?

....regards Charlie...:driving

Johnny. I see you've a Montessa... nice bikes, Honda engine etc.
I've got a Beta Rev3 which also hangs together fairly well.

Maverick.. cost of entry into trials, well that varies.
reasonable secondhand bike for maybe £1200 to £1500 or more depending on budget. Sold my Beta Techno (1997) earlier this year for about £1100 and it was good bike.
New bike £3300 to £3500 or maybe lss if you get into the import game. Get Trials and Motorcross Newspaper (TMX) out every Friday. Loads of bike adverst in it... modern and pre-65 type bikes.
Helmet
Boots
Gloves.
decent trousers - Hebo, Clice etc worth getting.
Transport for bike.. bumper rack.. , don't know the price now, maybe £100
or trailer.. can be picked up quite cheaply secondhand say £150.

ACU license £10/year
club membership.. Say £10 to £15/year.
Trial entry... £10 to £15 per event.
Fuel
Consumables... chains and sprockets, brake pads..
breakages... depends how often you fall off :D

Johnny.. does that sound abot right to you??

Being a useless fekker...

...I too have 'gone back' to trials....only thing is I went back to same era of bikes too!
Now doing 'twinshock'...much easier sections.... no action shots but this is my little Beamish....just like getting together with yer old girlfriend from skool...!

Attachments

• 110-1019_img.jpg
    110-1019_img.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 177
maverick said:
What would the initial cost be to enter this sport? i.e. Cheapish bike , club fee's etc. Have always been intrigued by trail riding but thought it was an expensive sport. Had a look around at prices on oldish trail bikes and could not find anything under £1500 to start out with.

Can you participate in this sport anywhere around England or is it limited to certain sections?

Cheers
:gringo

Masterdabber has summed it up superbly..............it's the cheapest form of Motorsport.............you can get a bike from £500 to £3500 for a new one.........but a £1000 - £1500 will get you going and after that all you need is a ACU licence, helmet, boots and some transport............
Events are held all over UK, however it more prolific in some areas than others.......

charlie batty said:
....Johnny .. are you 'avin to stand up cos someone stole the seat?:eek:

...looks a pricy bit of kit ..fancy frame an all......got any details?

....regards Charlie...:driving

No seats on those type of bikes..........Charlie.........you'll have to grin and bear it...........but it improves your bike control........all that standing up........
As masterdabber says........it's a 2004 HRC (Honda) Montesa 315R .......actually 250cc and although a bit heavier than some other Trials bikes by 3-4kg it's got a bullet proof Honda 2 stroke engine and reeks of honda build quality...with all that alloy and HRC parts..........the damage about £3500....but it's a work of art.......not just a bike........

As with the GS.........I've added some trick parts.....

Big tank - to increase fuel capacity from 2.5 litres to a whopping 4.5 litres.......!!!!!!!!
Carbon Fork guards
Red plastics from pre 2004 models
Domino slow action throttle
Removed the lighting kit
That's about it...........it's competition ready straight from the crate

Re: Being a useless fekker...

Harv said:
...I too have 'gone back' to trials....only thing is I went back to same era of bikes too!
Now doing 'twinshock'...much easier sections.... no action shots but this is my little Beamish....just like getting together with yer old girlfriend from skool...!

You can't beat a Twinshock..........this is my Yamaha Majesty ..........for easy summer Trials.........

Attachments

• yamaha majesty left side - dec 20031.jpg
    yamaha majesty left side - dec 20031.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 157
Nice RL Beamish.........Harv.
Another shot of the Majesty Yamaha

Attachments

• yamaha majesty right side - dec 20031.jpg
    yamaha majesty right side - dec 20031.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 145
What a good Idea

Off to buy TMX in the morning

Must be able to trial the Canam

Trials Universal Tyres already, soft engined twin-shock.

What do you think, would it get round a novice course

G..

Attachments

• canam.jpg
    canam.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 78
Re: What a good Idea

needlongerlegs said:
Off to buy TMX in the morning

Must be able to trial the Canam

Trials Universal Tyres already, soft engined twin-shock.

What do you think, would it get round a novice course

G..

Nope.............not a prayer...........it'll be all blood........sweat and tears.........
I doubt you be able to do Trailbike route in a trial (rare) or a LDT with that............it's only suite to Enduro's or Trail Bike Rallies

Sections can still be enjoyed without the correct bike:

Attachments

• faggin it 67.jpg
    faggin it 67.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 43

Back
Top Bottom