Why would my bike be spitting oil from the exhaust?

EricGS

Reaction score
Lads,

Here I am again with the questions. :blast

I serviced my bike today, Oil filter and air filter as it wasn't running the best. Spark plugs where done in Joe Duffy's the other day so no need to do them. She seems to be running fine now. It did make a differance but I noticed today that the wall behind my bike has black spots on it from the exchaust where i start the bike everyday.

I thought I'd check this out and put my hand down to the exchaust and sure enough it ended up with specs of oil on it.

Is this normal or is it a sign of a problem with the engine.

I checked the black dirty oil I removed from the bike for metal fragments but couldn't fine any. The bike was said to be serviced at 10000 miles but with the pugs been burned out and the oil been black not to mension the state of the airfilter I removed I'm starting to think otherwise.

I had topped up the oil the other day but it turned out I had put to much in it. So I decided to do the service to sort that out.

Could the excess oil have gotten into the exchaust system?

Don't want to jump the gun and leave it in to get checked if theres nothing wrong with it but don't want to ride her either in case there is something up.

Anyone got any ideas please let me know.

Thanks,

Eric. :thumb2

you might want to get this moved to a bike specific area of the forum.

what bike is it? does it have a cat?

I've just put an XR250 through its MOT and noticed that its blowing a lot of thick black soot, but its an old single cylinder thumper for theres probably a bit of oil in the head - its not been run in a while.

Over filling with oil shouldnt end up with it being blown out of the exhaust, but you might get it blown into the airbox and possible burnt that way???

Are you sure its oil and not sooty water?

She's a R1150GS.

She's always covered so shouldn't be getting water in and she no longer has a cat. Full Remus system.

If the mods want to move this post to a bike specific area please do. Wasn;t thinking. :blast

Eric It's sooty water

When the Injected BM's are cold they really really enrich the fuel / air mixture

As they get warmer the fuel / air mixture becomes weaker

AS well as that the air is so humid and cold just now the hot gases are condensing on the way out of your exhaust hence the sooting

Just don't run it on the sidestand to warm it up Get on it and ride off !

It will warm up faster that way !

So does my gaarge door, from either my SV650S, 1200GS, Beta, X-Challenge or 990, which if rarely ridden, were often started up in the garage.

So, is it recent or historic? Mine is a round patch of speckles. No idea which bike it came from, most likely the GS.

Edit, there you go, Jaythro has got it IMO.

Side stand all the time.

I alwaya leave mine on the mainstand overnight etc and I'm sure Jay will correct me if I'm wrong here, but it's not really a great idea to leave her on the sidestand all the time Eric. Oil can get past the piston rings and leave her very smoky on startup as she burns the oil off.

Eric It's sooty water

When the Injected BM's are cold they really really enrich the fuel / air mixture

As they get warmer the fuel / air mixture becomes weaker

AS well as that the air is so humid and cold just now the hot gases are condensing on the way out of your exhaust hence the sooting

Just don't run it on the sidestand to warm it up Get on it and ride off !

It will warm up faster that way !

So I've nothing to worry about. Thank God. :aidan

I always warmed her up before I pulled of due to owning Subaru Imprezas for the last few years so no need with the bike. Thanks for your help lads.

I alwaya leave mine on the mainstand overnight etc and I'm sure Jay will correct me here, but it's not really a great idea to leave her on the sidestand all the time Eric. Oil can get past the piston rings and leave her very smoky on startup as she burns the oil off.

That would imply that the level was sufficiently high - that the conrods would smack through the surface on start-up.

boxer_running_wot.gif

I'm sure the leak-path is via the valve stem seals on the left hand cylinder.

Al :)

I alwaya leave mine on the mainstand overnight etc and I'm sure Jay will correct me if I'm wrong here, but it's not really a great idea to leave her on the sidestand all the time Eric. Oil can get past the piston rings and leave her very smoky on startup as she burns the oil off.

The ground where I park her is uneven and I'm afraid she might fall off the centre stand. I'll have a look and see what I can do. Thanks Aidan.

NEver Worry about the sidestand Eric you're talking a teaspoon of oil weeping past over a period of time it just makes big clouds and burns off

My 93,000 mile K100RS didn;t do it at Aidan and Mandies a week or so ago I was well chuffed

Feck that reminds me I must check her for oil :aidan :aidan :aidan

Back
Top Bottom