Update failed "system software missing"

GS Bloke

Reaction score
Just got a new 660, ran web updater which failed, now the Zumo says "system software missing" and won't boot.
I have tried holding down the pwr button but nothing.
Any ideas?

I am on hold with garmin as I am typing this.

It's what they called "fucked" in the Garmin technical circle.

Drop it off at Garmin and I am sure they will send you a replacement or fix it for you. Their customer service is good. Helped me when I had a minor tech problem with my device.

Not a good start but...

Try and persevere.. I had a Quest for about 4 years and now a 660 for going on a year.. Both have served me well. Sure, you get glitches now and again but at the end of the day they are computers, and we know how unpredictable computers can be...

Neither of mine ever let me down when it has really mattered...

Hope your replacement works ok :)

I wouldn't mind so much if I had owned it for longer than 1.5hrs!

The chap from Garmin said that my t'internet connection must have dropped whilst the update was running - I can't imagine that anyone would write software so badly that it updated from Garmin's server directly onto the zumo.
The right way would be to:
  • Download the software to my PC
  • Check the download is correct using checksums
  • Backup the 660 firmware
  • Apply the new update
  • Check the new update has applied correctly
  • Activate the update.
I have a 550 and never had this problem.
Oh well - it is now on is merry way back to Garmin, wot with the weather etc I dunno when we will meet again.... :nenau

It's also a good idea when you get it sorted to back-up the Garmin folder on the Zumo. When you connect your pc to the Zumo double click the Garmin drive icon and copy the Garmin folder to a safe location. The folder is quite large, about 2GB+ and may take a while. If the Garmin file on the Zumo ever gets corrupted or damage you can restore the back-up and away you go. I usually back mine up before up-dates in case of corrupted downloads.:aidan

yea I did that with my 550, the problem with my 660 is once it was busted it didn't even appear in the drive list on my PC so I wouldn't be able to copy any files back to it.

They generally send you a complete new kit so recommend you take the battery out before you send it back and keep as a spare.......

Got my replacement unit yesterday :thumb2
Not only did they send me a new unit, but is was fully boxed with all the cables, mounts, CD's etc... :thumb2:thumb2

So now I have 2 of everything, apart from the 660 unit, which is great as I have 2 bikes and 2 cars - nice one Garmin.

Back
Top Bottom