Tragedy on Mini Tossers Tour

Greg Masters

'Don't mess with me' Member
Mod Squad
Reaction score
For those who weren't aware, a small group of GSers left the main Eastern Block party after the Auschwitz visit to tour southern Europe.

I have just received the following communiqué from my correspondent which is reproduced in full:

"ever see a gs ride over a deer? it aint pretty - lucy ok bike almost ok bambi dead what a day!"

:reaper

Greg

stuff bambi

is Lucy OK???
Let me know Vern/greg or anybody who knows

Just rang Paul, They are just outside Paris, looking for a hotel.

Jucys bike went down the road, 40 meters she slid off hit her head, they patched up bike, rode from Barcelona today, thats what I thought he said.

Hopeing to be back tommorrow.

Burbidges Bakery sticker on Lucys Pannier now says B%^&%$££%^&

Re: Re: Tragedy on Mini Tossers Tour

Greg Masters said:
For goodness sake, read the words!

My Heart sank:( Pleased to hear that Lucy OK and on her way home:)

Thats two sore heads she has had in two weeks now !!

I was only responsable for one though:beer: :beer:

If aanybody speaks to them send our best

matt & sharron

thanks in advance

No need to worry leddies an gents..........Lucy's absolutely fine.......amazingly so after the spectacular tumble she took.

We were doing about 40ish up a gorge road out of Les Guillaumes....BHT up front, Lucy in the middle and me at the back......Paul scared a Chamois out from behind a rock in the cliff to our right.......the little bugger bolted for it, right under Lucy's front wheel.......she had absolutely no chance of avoiding it whatsoever......

It went under the wheel, bounced around a bit under the bike and then as the rear went over it, Lucy went down to her right......the bike skidded around 50 feet, Lucy slightly less.....but watching her slide was a bloody scary long moment....particularly when her head bashed into the cliff face.

Luckily the three of us had fallen into a good safe positioning/distance habit over the previous few thousand miles well over 2k covered since we waved the lightweights off) and i pulled up in plenty of time, parked up, hazards on as Lucy stood up.

If it hadn't have been so close to being seriously tragic, it actually would have been funny watching her tap her two legs and arms and count to four...i kid you not....but all were present and correct, pointing in the right directions and she suffered no damage herself apart from some bruising on her foot that she discovered that night.

We picked up the bike.......that's a bit more of a sorry tale I'm afraid......broken fairing, badly scratched piston cover, big scuff in the pannier (It reads Burbia's Bakery now 'cos the d, g and e are gone) and a second broken indicator.

We fixed up the indicator with a splint and a couple of cable ties on either side like we had the last one (that's a different story.....you'll have to ask Lucy ;) ) and looked for Bambi......first off I found its broken antlers...these were proudly mounted over the broken fairing with duct tape and Lucy's going to keep them there as a good luck thing....(have photos will post tommorrow)

The deer was well and truly dead......it had managed to scramble over the low wall alongside the left side of the road and had then fallen about 100 foot down the ravine......I don't know if the fall or the impact of a third of a tonne of GS and Lucy did it, but looking at it from up on the cliff it turned out it was really quite a large beasty.

That's about it......apart from I've got to say what a top top girl Lucy is......after she'd checked herself and we'd picked up the bike, she was asking about the deer in case it was injured.....she was remarkably cool about the whole thing.....way more than i would have been.....and we rode some seriously twisty switchbacks to get to Barcelonette last night and Paul and I had to persuade her that we were stoppping there rather than further North beacause of ther shock she'd had........cool and cucumber don't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Lucy :thumb :bow

I have to pick up my car tommorrow and do some stuff so I made a home run from mid-france and BHT and Lucy are just east of Paris.... (blaaaaargh I make it 815 miles today.....i should have sorted out some iron butt witnesses and gone once round to m25 to get a nice certificate!) and will probably be back Late Saturday......be prepared to be very bored with photos though....i took the laptop and downloaded loads of shots every night......i perfected the one hand shooting the camera whilst steering round the twistys technique and there are some good ones.

Thanks for the update Bill - pleased to see all is well with Lucy - 'bike will fix!

Looking forward to seeing the pics (He trully is the master of 1 x handed photography whilst accelerating at 100mph!)

:beerjug: :beerjug: :beerjug:

Bikes can be repaired, we take a bit longer.

Really pleased to hear Lucy is ok, and back on the bike straight off, know plenty of people(Blokes) that won't have done that and contiuned late into the day.

A TOP PERSON!!, must be PC!!, well done Lucy.

Brings home how we all ride together, my friend had a big off overtaking a white van on a blind lefthander and wrote off a Volvo V70, RT could still be ridden!!.

But his mate behind on a CBR was too close and ended up worst and a written off bike.

Glad to hear you all had a good time, lucky bu****s, back to work and grind this week and the trip seems a million miles away, well in fact 3007 mls to be precise.

Had a fantastic 8 days, hope to see you all at the Hogroast in July.

And Jim I WON'T be last!!.

Gary.

Fanum said:
The deer was well and truly dead......it had managed to scramble over the low wall alongside the left side of the road and had then fallen about 100 foot down the ravine......

Glad that Lucy's OK - the above line had my sides hurting ("Phew, made it! AAARGH!) - sorry - it's a long time since I saw Bambi...

Mike:D

I killed Bambi

Hi Everyone,

Back home safely, just...?!?! It has been the most fantastic holiday, one I shall never forget, thanks to everyone especially Paul and Bill for taking such good care of me, even though I think the sight of seeing me sliding down the road scared them more than me.

I look forward to meeting everyone again soon.

Love Lucy xxx

respect....

like i said in the text.....
i can only manage a chicken...you take out Bambi...serious respect girl...
if we ride out together again...you're definately in front xxxxxx

get some Arnica for that foot......

Miss Cucumber on the steed.......remnants of Bambi proudly mounted......you can't quite see Burbia's bakery add on the pannier or Bambi's hair stuck on the front axle stubs but that'd be dwelling on the morbid (and will be in my full ride report ;) ) however it kind of sums up the event........

PS this was taken on site....the rocks to the right were what Lucy bashed her head on and wrote her helmet off on......the visor is scratched to buggery and she has a ho9le in her Dainese jacket, but it could have been a whole lot worse......

Attachments

• bambi1.jpg
    bambi1.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 1,772
Just been catching up on this thread..:eek:

Glad you came out the winner Lucy :)

Regards

Tim

timmy said:
Oh, Stuff the pannier sticker.

Is Lucy ok?

:p

Well i spose that's a matter of opinion.......she scrubs up fairly nicely and she holds her drink well (as long as it's not mixed with Vodka ;) ) but she can be a bit moody and sometimes suffers from flatulence when she giggles.......

:D :D :D :D

Yup, Lucy's very much O.K :thumb :thumb :thumb

(Sorry Lucy...couldn't resist...just can't believe how smoothly things are going ;) :D )

Fanum said:
Well i spose that's a matter of opinion.......she scrubs up fairly nicely and she holds her drink well (as long as it's not mixed with Vodka ;) ) but she can be a bit moody and sometimes suffers from flatulence when she giggles.......

:D :D :D :D

Yup, Lucy's very much O.K :thumb :thumb :thumb

(Sorry Lucy...couldn't resist...just can't believe how smoothly things are going ;) :D )

Bill, Whats going so smoothly :confused:

Bryn said:
Bill, Whats going so smoothly :confused:

I'd love to be able to tell you Bryn but i'd have to put you in a bag and bury you in cement afterwards......

I just can't belieeeeeeve how smoothly it's all going ;)

Back
Top Bottom