660 loading POI

andy14049

Reaction score
Hi there,
For you that know this may seem an easy to answer question but how do you load the gdb files that so much great info is stored on this site into my garmin 660, I’ve spent an afternoon trying with out any joy. Any help much appreciated...

Regards Andy :nenau

I use a 550 not the 660 but I'd guess the method is the same - you need Garmin's POI Loader program which makes everything easy. You'll find it on the Garmin site to download.

Thanks for your reply Tomcat.
I've tried using the garmin POI loader but it tells me that the files I’m trying to load are not compatible, so I'm wondering if I missing something you have to do with these gdb files first?

Regards Andy

I may be wrong but..............

.........Don't POI files have a .gpx extension and not .gdb?? :nenau

I've just tried running POILoader on my PC, saving the POIs to a folder on the PC. It creates a file 'poi.gpi'. The POI format loaded was .CSV (a speed camera database) but I've got other POIs in .gdb and .gpx format.

I'm not sure why it won't work for you - the only thing I can think of is that there are (I think) two versions of .gdb file (v2 and v3) and perhas POILoader only works with the later version. You can change from one to the other by opening the file in Mapsource and then going to File, Save As.

HTH

Thanks Tomcat, I gave what you mentioned a try but it doesn't seem to work the same for me, must be my lack of computer skills, thanks very for trying it for me though.

Regards Andy

Back
Top Bottom