Canbus on BMW R1200GSA '07 problem since fitting 660

GS Bloke

Reaction score
Hi
BMW R1200GSA '07
I have upgraded from a 550 to 660 and wired it in the same way, from the canbus point at the headstock.
The odd problem is, when the 660 is in the mount the canbus system does not pwr down after 1 minute, it stays on, if I remove the 660 then it pwr's down after 1 minute.

Anyone else come across this?

Waiting on my new headstock cable to arrive but here's my theory:
As far as I know the Canbus charger tricks the system to stay live so it can keep charging so is it possible the batery in the Zumo is "charging" the bike battery.
Maybe a diode inline might solve the problem:nenau

Yea, I though it maybe something along those lines, as if the Zumo battery is feeding back into the canbus, but not all GS's of my model do this so it must be a ECU software issue.

I have spoken with my dealer (bike..;)) and they have emailed BMW asking if they are aware of anything.

My main concern is that no damage is being done....

Odd...

Just been for a ride into central London and when I switched the bike off the canbus behaved perfectly, and again when I got home.. so no problem any more.
Maybe the battery was a bit low so the canbus stayed on thinking that the 660 was charging it, but once I had been on a run the battery was good so the canbus shuts down fine - just a guess :nenau

Normal behavior

This is normal behavior.
It's because the canbus is charging the navi.
You will notice that if the garmin is already fully charged, the
canbus will power off far sooner then when the garmin is not
fully charged. So it's a feature, not an error :beerjug:

Maybe the battery was a bit low so the canbus stayed on thinking that the 660 was charging it, but once I had been on a run the battery was good so the canbus shuts down fine - just a guess :nenau

Makes sense to me

This is normal behavior.
It's because the canbus is charging the navi.
You will notice that if the garmin is already fully charged, the canbus will power off far sooner then when the garmin is not fully charged. So it's a feature, not an error :beerjug:

Doesn't make sense to me:nenau
If the power socket is designed to power off after 60 secs what feature would be designed to allow the bike battery to be drained by an accessory running indefinitely?

Slightly different I know, but I had problems with my 550 running the headstock cable, coupled with the alarm system. When you set the alarm, the canbus wakes up for a few seconds and this triggers the Zumo to power up and then run on internal battery. The same thing will happen when unsetting the alarm. I'm always forgetting to wait and turn it off manually and coming back to find the Zumo powered up on the bike (makes it real obvious it's there!) or completely flat. I was then having problems getting the zumo to power up on a flat battery, requiring removal of the battery for some unknown reason.

Having upgraded my lights, horns etc, I fitted a fusebox and a new power cable to the Zumo from this and now problem solved. I can now refuel the bike without having to press buttons on the Zumo, while having both hands on the filler hose. I prefer having the option to run on internally batteries as soon as I switch the ignition off.

makes sense or not

Padge, doesn't the quote that makes sense to you, in a way state the same as the quote that didn't make sense?

It (the canbus power) doesn't however stay on indefinitely, it shuts down after arround 20 minutes. I took a measurement on my bike and it ran a bit longer.

I did read about this in a document i got from my dealer when i was about to buy one. I've looked for such a document on the net and found this one:

http://www.balderston.net/Navigator.htm

It calls this a function;

• Run-on time after ignition is switched off (Navigator IV remains ON):

− With Navigator battery fully charged: 1 minute.
− If Navigator battery not fully charged: 20 minutes (the Navigator IV is recharged during this time, without the risk of running the motorcycle's battery flat).

I don't know how they do it, but it works for me :eek:)

This is weird. Today my Garmin 660 wasn't fully charged because it was in my car (and can't find the bloody power cable) and I noticed that when I put it back on the bike - the bike kept on longer than it does normally after I turned off the ignition. I removed the Garmin and left my aux lights on that are wired into a relay. It turned itself after a minute. But if the 660 is plugged in it keeps everything on the bike going if the 660 doesn't have a full battery. I agree not really a feature... but how often do you have a Garmin on low battery running on the bike especially if the 660 is bike powered? My bike is a 2010 GS.

Anyone else had this happen?

Back
Top Bottom