Stripping down a Tenere after Moroccan river crossing

Tim Cullis

Scotland lover
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Putney, London and the Altiplano de Granada
This is boniyam's Jan 2010 trip, a Belgian Tenere rider.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ecU2om1DxeU&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ecU2om1DxeU&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
YouTube photos of the piste and river crossing

Slideshow of the Tenere being taken apart at BikersHome in Ouarzazate

Great vid....there's a moral there somewhere:D

I saw a mates KTM400 EXC throw a rod through it's case from "hydraulicing" from being run under water a few years ago. Belgian chappie here was fairly lucky if you can call it that, just to strip some teeth.:rob

He reckons there wasn't any water ingress to the engine, but I can't imagine what else would have caused it. Someone else commented that it was first gear that was stripped. Anyway the parts are on order from Japan.

I'd have thought walking the river essential, just like walking through long grass etc when 4x4'ing. If you don't know what's there, you could end up underwater in a hole.

Did a lot of that in Zimbabwe a few years ago. Actually I tended to let the girlfriend walk ahead pointing out the ruts and holes and me driving as she couldn't get the hang of the 1964 landy, no adjustable seat and she couldn't easily reach the pedals or get the gear lever over far enough for first without standing up :)

He should have used the proper tool for the job... :aidan

Michael_Martin_and_the_BMW_1200_GS.jpg

I'd have thought walking the river essential, just like walking through long grass etc when 4x4'ing. If you don't know what's there, you could end up underwater in a hole.

Did a lot of that in Zimbabwe a few years ago. Actually I tended to let the girlfriend walk ahead pointing out the ruts and holes and me driving as she couldn't get the hang of the 1964 landy, no adjustable seat and she couldn't easily reach the pedals or get the gear lever over far enough for first without standing up :)

Could you show us how you welded that Landy seat in a fixed position..? :augie

That's a really great tip...!! :D

He reckons there wasn't any water ingress to the engine, but I can't imagine what else would have caused it. Someone else commented that it was first gear that was stripped. Anyway the parts are on order from Japan.

Normally when an engine draws in water it bends the rods ,could the damage have been done by giving it the death in first gear trying to get out of the rut it had dug itself into ??stripped its teeth that way ??

Back
Top Bottom