The Great War Kick-Off Tour 2010

MikeP

UKGSer of 2014 (Dead)
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just an idea at present, no firm dates as yet but expect it to be around August for two reasons: First, it's the time of year of the events and secondly, the local agriculture allows a better view of the ground by August.

At the moment I'm concentrating on the BEF actions in and around Mons on 23rd Agust 1914, the retreat from Mons to the battle of Le Cateau.

I've been studying the two battles in greater detail. In previous years we have camped near Arras and ridden to Mons. Although the campsite used previously is very good, it was primarily chosen for access to the battlefields of Artois and the Somme. It meant that the time spent in Mons was severely restricted by the distance travelled to get there.

I've found a municipal campsite in Mons itself. It gets a good report and is a fifteen minute walk from the centre of the town. This may also allow some visits to the site of some unit engagements along the Conde Canal and the old railway station on foot.

Visiting the Le Cateau battlefield will be a ride along the routes of the retreat.

Some of the sites here and at Mons are accessed via unmade tracks (often very muddy if the weather has been unkind).

This isn't an organised tour where you can expect to be taken straight to all the sites. I've done a fair few of the places before but the object of this trip is to find a lot more, so there's going to be a lot of looking at maps, scratching of heads and trying to compare some 'then' photos with what's there now.

I anticipate one day on foot in Mons, one day on the bikes in the Mons area and maybe two days on the bikes at Le Cateau (to include the routes taken by both BEF Corps in the retreat either side of the forest of Mormal).

Flexibility will be the key. Depending on how successful the 'finding' places is and if anyone has the time/money/inclination, we could move to Artois and do some Somme sites or go to Ypres and the sites there on the way back.

Hi Mike

Very interested. I'll keep an eye on this thread for more details/firm dates but will put some leave aside around this time.

Steve

May well be up for a ride there in Aug, I have some spare time then. Will keep an eye on the thread :thumb

Provisional dates and itinerary:

Meet-up on Saturday 21st August at the Mons camp-site.

Sunday 22nd. Ride north to Waterloo and have a look at the site of Abba's greatest victory (or something like that). It might be useful to have a look at Waterloo because how the battle at Le Cateau was fought (99 years later) has some distinct similarities.

It is on the main road back into Mons that the first engagement between the BEF and von Kluck's First Army occurred on 22nd August 1914.

Monday 23rd. In and around Mons. The actions of II Corps BEF in detail (including the site of the first two VC awards and a visit to St Symphorien cemetery where there are some significant burials). These actions took place on 23rd August 1914, so there may be some official wreath-laying at the same time.

Tuesday 24th. Mons to Le Cateau, following the route of the retreat to where the battle took place to the west of Le Cateau. Detailed look at the actions there.

Wednesday 25th. From here it becomes more flexible. Depending on the success (or not) of the Le Cateau trek, we could de-camp to Arras and visit some of the Somme/Artois sites such as Vimy Ridge, Wellington Quarry, Lochnagar Crater, Newfoundland Park and Thiepval Memorial.

To do them all would need two days, one day if only one or other main location (Somme or Arras) was chosen.

Alternatively, move to Ypres and concentrate on the events there (including the Last Post ceremony one evening).

If the crossing used is Calais, it's possible to visit Agincourt on the way. The field has changed since the events in 1415 but a general appreciation can still be gained.

There's no need for anyone to stay or partake in any of these plans. People can stay or go as they please.

I will be camping only. Anyone who wishes to use hotels can but it's up to them to meet-up each day.

In the past, we've mixed a bit of camp-site self-catering with eating out. The Arras camp-site (if we do stop there) has a nice enough restaurant on-site, Ypres camp-site is within easy ambling distance from the places to eat. I've not used the Mons one before but it's in the town and reported to be a 15 minute walk to the town square.

Unlike Ypres, that is geared to tourists, Mons is an old mining/industrial town so I don't know what the cafe/bar situation will be.

I'll put together a waypoint file in due course.

Mike,
Very interested in this trip your putting together. How firm are the dates quoted? they suit me fine.... Camping ditto, always found the municipal sites to be very good...

I've Visited some of the sites mentioned before, Vimy Ridge Menin Gate
Langermark and Tyne Cot etc. would be good to visit them again.

Never been to Mons so would be interesting to see.

If im able to come, I may well travel via Amsterdam and try to visit Arnham
before meeting up.

Will follow the thread with interest.

Why not, pray?

As he sold his GS some years ago, he's probably concerned that his current ride won't get him there. :p

The start date is as firm as I can make it at this time. Major problems, such as belligerents deciding to have a re-run in the area, might be enough to put me off but hopefully the fact that SHAPE is just outside Mons will mean that some effort will go into defence of the area.

Please put me down as a strong possible.

I was planning to get over to the Ypres area around that time as a distant cousin was killed at Inverness Copse near Ypres on Aug 24, 1917 and I haven't yet been to see the area.

I'm definately interested - mainy as a scouting tour to see how much I can get my Mrs to see. Her Grandfather fought on the western front, with 3 brothers. And all of them returned!

Apologies to all. The unforeseen has become seen. I need to replace my central-heating boiler and this has not only cleared-out my "deep-shit fund" but also what I've been putting aside for this trip.

This is more a postponement than complete cancellation but it's not likely to happen until next year (a Lottery win aside).

I'll leave this open for now in the hope that all who have expressed an interest get to see it.

Once again, my apologies, especially to anyone who has made any plans based around the dates.

Mike.

This is more a postponement than complete cancellation but it's not likely to happen until next year (a Lottery win aside).

Shit happens Mike.....may be able to join you next year...:thumb

Congrats on post count 8000....:D

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear about the boiler..:blast

I've got a weeks leave booked for that week so I have posted another open invite for something similar...

Hope to catch you another time..:thumb

Back
Top Bottom