Replacing a 2610 with Zumo 660?

Charlie

After several months of intermittent faults my old 2610 has finally given up the ghost (last time out tried to tell me I was several miles off the South East coast of Iceland - funny could have sworn road sign said Elephant and Castle)

Can't really afford it but have decided to bite the bullet and go for a new Zumo 660 but a bit unsure what to do because those really nice guys from Autocom fitted the 2610 to the bike (a 2005 gs) along with my Active Plus. Since then, of course, I've seen the threads about their demise so I guess that means I try fitting it myself - unless I want to pay BMW prices , which I don't/can't. And anyway, I like to learn.

I was really happy with the way they had done it and so want to keep the same configuration if I can-
*wired to work when ingition was on so I couldn't leave it by mistake and drain bike battery (I think the 660 comes with it's own rechargeable battery but I prefer to run from the bike if poss)
*worked perfectly with my Autocom Active Plus - I used it for the GPS and rider to pillion intercom

Question(s) is(are):-
*Do I need anything else (cables etc) other than what comes in the box?
*Is it a job that a reasonably intelligent ludite can do themselves or am I asking for trouble?

I tend to be able to work most things out providing visual learning aids/instruction is available.

Any help/advice welcome

Charlie

I came from a "2610 and Autocom" setup and bought a 660 last year. I basically swapped the switched live feed from the 2610 to the 660 (the cradle comes with power wires red/black), and used a cable to plug it into the Autocom (I forget which bit of the Autocom and which cable[1]) but it is very easy. Obviously you don't need to change anything on the Autocom, as if it works now, will with the 660.
cheers

Markie

[1] I "think" I used my mp3 music cable that I used with the 2610 to run from the 660 to the Autocom, but cannot honestly remember (was last June time).

Markie

Thanks for that mate.

May be a few weeks before I can get it (money tight) but may come back to you if I run into difficulties if that's okay?

Sure - I'm in the Fleet area and see you are in Hampshire so if we need to meet up, feel free to reach out.

cheers

Markie

To solder or not to solder, that is the question?

Hi,

Threw caution (and credit card) to the wind and purchased the Zumo 660. Looking to try fitting at weekend. The question is, will I need to solder the wires or simply connect well and perhaps use heat shrink tubing to protect?

Back
Top Bottom