Third European License Directive - Important

Lord Snooty

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I went to the Motorcycle Expo at the NEC this week and had a chat with Karen Cooke of the Motorcycle Industry Trainers Association about the next directive due to be implemented in 2014.

There is a consultation paper online with 7 motorcycle related questions which can be completed online and it is imperative if you are in the training industry that you complete the questions and have your voice heard by 5th Feb 2010!!

Some of the directive proposals include the following gems:

1. Quads, small trikes to be brought under the umbrella of the moped license. Any accidents on these machines will be included under motorcycle statistics therefore giving the legislators more ammunition to fire at us.

2. Familiarisation Training - This proposes that riders will have access to category A2 and A vehicles (R1s, Blades etc) on a provisional basis, riding unaccompanied on L plates without the inconvenience of taking a test and raises the prospect of the "perpetual learner" who just continues to renew the Familiarisation Training.

I recommend you go here http://www.mcita.co.uk/cmspages/3dld.1037798.2133991.cms for information provided by the MCITA and please click on the link on that page to download the Guidance Notes which give the MCITA recommended responses to the questionnaire and the reasoning why.

You can complete the questionnaire online by going to http://www.dsa.gov.uk/consultation/3D_questionnaire/adv/KeyPointWebform.html

Now is the time to make your voice heard - if you can't be bothered then don't complain when the Brussels Bureaucracy marches all over us in 2013.:rob

No 1 doesn't surprise me at all. Surprised that granny trooies aren't included actually.

No 2 - now that is a surprise. How will you get insured on a Blade without a full pass I wonder? Don't bother would be my guess.

Edit: having had a good read, the 'familiarisation' is an extraordinary move. IMO the 125 limit after CBT is far too low considering both the current traffic conditions and also the size of many CBT candidates (I'm 6'3" and have to demonstrate the U-turn with my leg stuck out like a racer. Some candidates are taller.).

What are they thinking - more stringent (and, I think, better) test pass requirements along with a backdoor so you never need to pass at all.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom