changing zumo 550 for 660

rossi46

Reaction score
i have a zumo 550 mounted on the windscreen support bar on my 09 gsa. it is on the aluminium bracket supplied by nippy normans and is wired direct into the socket at the back of the oil cooler. i am thinking of putting the 550 on flebay and buying a new 660. is the aluminium bracket and the power lead the same or will i need to replace those aswell ???

The 660 cradle has the power supply attached, so just disconnect the 550 at the power source and reconnect the power cables from the 660.

Not sure what you mean by "the aluminum bracket" but I suspect (and would bet a pint) that the 4 hole cradle on your 550 can come off to be replaced by the 4 hole cradle of the 660. Unless the "aluminum bracket" is some sort of Touratech cradle, in which case there might be some jiggling to do with the bracketery that comes with the 660.

cheers

Markie

thanks for the reply. so the power cable for the 660 is attached to the cradle and doesn't remove ??? sounds like i would have to solder the bmw plug onto the end of it ??? the bracket i have is the black aluminium block with 4 threaded holes in it which mounts to the screen support, i suppose a better question would be are the 4 holes in the zumo 660 motorcycle bracket the same spacings as the 4 holes in the zumo 550 motorcycle bracket ???

How much for the 550 buddy? iv posted in the wanted section so im interested if your selling.........:Motomartin

ok

Well im interested so give me a deffo price for it when you want to sell and let me know what comes with it etc and we can do a deal buddy....:Motomartin

email - smwhiteside (at) btinternet.com. i'm home now so computer is on

just had my dinner and went to check the box.
i bought it new in february 2009, everything is in the box : unused ram mount, unused usb cable, unused power cable, loads of other bits & pieces, 2 x cd's, carry bag, the zumo itself and the motorcycle mount.
i have replaced the fidly security screw with the stainless steel one from the bloke in holland (???). would you want the bmw power socket lead ???
email me and we'll see where we end up !!!
thanks
steve

thanks for the reply. so the power cable for the 660 is attached to the cradle and doesn't remove ??? sounds like i would have to solder the bmw plug onto the end of it ??? the bracket i have is the black aluminium block with 4 threaded holes in it which mounts to the screen support, i suppose a better question would be are the 4 holes in the zumo 660 motorcycle bracket the same spacings as the 4 holes in the zumo 550 motorcycle bracket ???

Hi

there is a standard that sets the hole sizes and spacing so pretty sure it'll be the same.

Yes the cables for the 660 are connected direct to the cradle, so you'll need to attach the plug as you describe,unless you can some how connect the bare wires to how the existing socket is powered.

Good luck!

cheers

Markie

Just be a little careful - if the "aluminium" mount is a touratech it will not fit the 660 - there is a special mount just released for the 660. The locking system is very different as the 660 locking mount is wider to accept the wider body and the top locking flap has pre drilled holes to accept a bolt that stops the "trigger" to release the 660 from its mount from being depressed.

I have some pictures if you need them.

Rik

it is not the touratech mount. it is basicly an aluminium block which bolts to the screen brace bar, the block has 4 x threaded holes in the accept the mount which comes with the gps unit. i believe the spacing of the 4 holes is standard so it should fit.
thanks
steve

Back
Top Bottom