French Alps -August advice please?

rocks

Reaction score
My self and a friend are hoping to organise a last minute trip to the French Alps in august, probably the first or second weekend.
I have only recently bought the GS, and we both have never been to france before. Infact this will be the longest journey I have ever done on a bike.

Firstly. We were looking at a 4 day trip, a days each way, and two days riding around. Our initial destination being cretes.

I have heard of some nice routes etc in that part, but if anyone with experience of the area has any advice etc, i would greatly appreciate it.

Our current thought is to expand the trip by a day, so we have a day there, a day back and 3 days to ride about.

If any one actually fancies tagging along, i will shortly be checking ferry and tunnel prices. It will be myself (GS) and my mate and his missus (thunderace).

Cheer John aka rocks..

French Alps August

Can't find cretes on my autoroute but if you are talking about the French Alps proper, in the Haut Rhone region then its a long days ride there and back. Plus you will at that time be grappling with most of France who go on holiday in August - all seemingly at the same time. Roads in the area are terrific and the weather likely to be good but book now if you want accommodation. Many smaller hotels close up, cos the owners go away and others, particularly in the popular regions, get very full. Even camp sites can get very crowded.

As its your first time have you thought about the Ardennes region? Great roads, excellent food and can be reached in about 3 to 4 hours riding from calais area.

Mike

alps trip

Good idea ,but I agree with Mike. The beginning of August is not the best time to go and to get down there in 1 day from north Wales is going to be a very long day. I have been a few times and roads are pretty good in most of France . Maybe if you change the date I could tag along

rocks said:
Our initial destination being cretes.

Do you mean `Route des Cretes` The part that runs from Col de Bonhomme to Colmar is apparently well worth a ride through.

Dave got it..

Dave thats the place i mean or at least the region.

The plan was.. for me to head down on the wednesday night and stay at my friends, then set out early form his house in South wales at the end of the M4.. for dover.. then ( Now looking at the tunnel as its £85, not £130)..

I would like, if possible to get to see some of the lovely alpine passess that i have seen people post piccy's of, but i admit the timing is not great.. ie leaving it last minute to organise etc..

I am submitting my thesis in September so would like to get out there and back with some time free at the end of august for any last minute complications.

But i can switch to the next weekend as it were..
I am hoping to get settle on a route and fix accomodation be the end of the month.

Am i being too ambitous for the first trip?? I have no idea what the riding tim from calais to that region will be, not having driven french roads before.

ALPS

Rocks,
Giving yourself just four days is not really worth it,you are just going to be flat out the whole time.It's ok getting there asap,But as soon as you get there you have basically got to turn round and come home,whats the point in that:confused: You will have to use motorways all the way given your time limit and that time of year they will jammed.If I was you I would put it off until you have more time to take in the sights and awesome roads down there,sorry to be a bit negative,but I would not even consider going to the alps for two days,It would be a sore arse for nothing.Andy

Have to agree with the others. Bit ambitious to do it all in five days.
I'm going to the German/ Austrian Alps in 3 weeks. Planning on 2 days down, 5 days to play & 2 days back. If Im going that far I want to at least take some of it in.
Theres some cracking roads to try out which are a lot closer in the Eiffel.

Baz

Cheers guys

Thanks one and all.. it does sadly look like we were planning to chew off more than we could manage.
I am going to look at the Ardennes, always fancied having a look around there and the places from the Battle of the bulge..

But that even may still be pushing.
I think i may settle for a proofing trip too Scotland to get used to th bike and the whole travelling experience and see about france later in the year depending if i get a job at the end of the thesis..

Thanks for the advice, these boards have proved their worth once more..

Re: Cheers guys

rocks said:
Thanks one and all.. it does sadly look like we were planning to chew off more than we could manage.
I am going to look at the Ardennes, always fancied having a look around there and the places from the Battle of the bulge..

The Ardennes is really nice. I like the bit on the other side of Bastogne down to Echternach and Ettelbruch.
I like the road from the Mosel near Trier (N10 I think) that follows the river up to Vianden...all very loverly with twisty roads...watch out for other bikers, I had a crazed Walloon nearly take me out when he got a sharp one all wrong coming the other way.

Re: Re: Cheers guys

Dave Hall said:
The Ardennes is really nice. I like the bit on the other side of Bastogne down to Echternach and Ettelbruch.
I like the road from the Mosel near Trier (N10 I think) that follows the river up to Vianden...all very loverly with twisty roads...watch out for other bikers, I had a crazed Walloon nearly take me out when he got a sharp one all wrong coming the other way.

I like Trier. Really nice city. I've made a note of that road as it is one I have not been on before. I looked it up on a map. There are 2 roads running parallel, one in Germany the other in Luxembourg as the river is the border.

Trier is just 300 miles from Calais so is as close to Cardiff as Fort William!

Re: Re: Re: Cheers guys

wessie said:
I like Trier. Really nice city. I've made a note of that road as it is one I have not been on before. I looked it up on a map. There are 2 roads running parallel, one in Germany the other in Luxembourg as the river is the border.

The Luxembourg side is better

Getting there through Southern Belgium looks good too. The D1/D31 from Rocroi follows the River and gets a green border from Michellin.

Back
Top Bottom