Bash guard for DR-Z400S

muppix

Reaction score
Heyho - can anyone recommend somewhere I can get a decent ally engine sump guard for my S? The OE Enduro model one looks OK but in my experience you can usually buy much nicer aftermarket stuff for Suzuki prices.

Cheers!

m.

Heyho - can anyone recommend somewhere I can get a decent ally engine sump guard for my S? The OE Enduro model one looks OK but in my experience you can usually buy much nicer aftermarket stuff for Suzuki prices.

Cheers!

m.

I think there is a GiT one on the Adventure Spec site that looks quite nice... need to get one for my DRZ too...

Cheers San, found it. Shame it doesn't say if it uses the original mounting holes or not, will have to look closer or contact them ...

M.

Good point. I can only go on previous GiT items I have bought (the crash bars and luggage plate on my 800GS), but they have used the standard mounting points in both cases. Hopefully they have carried through this philosophy on this product too.

Let me know if you manage to find out :thumb

I have a CRD on my E.

http://www.crd-international.co.uk/

Aluminium AG3 (anodised).
Thickness: 4 mm. Weight: 1300 g (45,85 oz)
Welding: TIG.
Installation: Easy.
Instructions and all necessary hardware included.
No motorcycle modification is required.

21Jan2010.jpg

Cheers San, found it. Shame it doesn't say if it uses the original mounting holes or not, will have to look closer or contact them ...

M.

The GiT unit does use the standard frame lugs, and is a very good fit.
This is a very strong device and the price is very reasonable, and it's made in the UK.:thumb2

T.

The GiT unit does use the standard frame lugs, and is a very good fit.
This is a very strong device and the price is very reasonable, and it's made in the UK

Any idea where I can buy one Timpo? Googling "GiT DR-Z Guard" reels in this very thread as the first result. :nenau

m.

:postpics:
Easy to fit?

Dunno, it only arrived this morning and they won't let me work on the bike in the office ...:nenau

Attachments

• IMG_3047.JPG
    IMG_3047.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3048.JPG
    IMG_3048.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3049.JPG
    IMG_3049.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3050.JPG
    IMG_3050.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3051.JPG
    IMG_3051.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 47
Dunno, it only arrived this morning and they won't let me work on the bike in the office ...:nenau

Looks like a nicely made piece of kit to me, then again all of the other stuff I've had from them has been so I shouldn't be surprised :thumb

Will be very interested to know how the fitting goes :beerjug:

Will be very interested to know how the fitting goes

Well, it would have been a fair bit easier if the holes in the guard had matched up better with the ones in the frame, but as it was I spent a happy hour attempting to fasten 4 countersunk screws, inventing a number of new swearwords in the process. But back to the beginning...

The original skid-plate came off easily enough via its four screws, and when I offered up the GiT guard it was clear that the two OEM plastic side guards needed to come off too. In fact, the clearance was so tight that I couldn't even leave the side guards' screws in their holes, which I sealed up with silicone instead to stop water ingress.

Normally I'd fit this kind of thing by doing all screws up finger-tight, then nipping them up when everything was aligned. But when the front and back screws were loosely in place, the two middle ones were about 3-4mm out and there just wasn't enough play in the guard to get those in. And, although they weren't yet tight, the right-hand side of the guard was already firmly resting on one of the case screws. Not great.

I took the front and back screws out again and fitted the two center ones instead, which gave me half a mm clearance over the cover bolt and only let me get the rear screw in once the middle two were at their loosest, barely 2 threads catching. The front one was nowhere near the hole in the frame by this point, but with the now redundant mounting holes for the OEM side guard filled with silicone and a ride planned for Sunday I was in no mood to try and reverse the operation.

I'll have a go at elongating the holes in the GiT guard once it comes off for cleaning and I've got more time, but for now I'll just grumble at the unhppy mix of Japanese and British engineering that's made such a pig's ear out of the relatively simple task of making 4 holes meet up. Thought for the day: the more I fiddle with other bikes the more I appreciate my Beemer.

m.

Attachments

• IMG_3052.JPG
    IMG_3052.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3055.JPG
    IMG_3055.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3059.JPG
    IMG_3059.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3061.JPG