anyones zumo 660 jumped out of the cradle ???

rossi46

Reaction score
just bought the zumo 660 and was suprissed to see there is no security device to stop the mechanism from opening whilst riding. my previous zumo 550 had the small fiddly screw. i am know considering the touratech lockable mount as it locks the zumo into the cradle. question is, do i really need one or is the unit likely to jump out of the cradle if i hit a pothole or go over a speed hump a little too quick ???

I've taken mine along some unfriendly tracks and even fallen over a couple of times and not had an issue. As long as it click's in, it's pretty secure. The downside is that i'm paranoid at petrol stations as it's easy to take off, but i'd prefer the easy on/off than have to fiddle around with a screw...

400 miles off road round the Pyrennees last year and it was fine. Even still, it doesn't instill confidence does it? :)

Same as above with being paranoid to even leave it for "petrol paying" so tend to whip it off into a pocket.

cheers

Markie

yes :(
first day i had it.
i now have the locking TT one. :thumb

Had my 660 since end of May first fitted to my XJR1300 done 3k on that one before getting the GS and now on 2800+ miles with no problems at all with the 660 jumping out of the cradle :thumb

Bought mine last summer and have had no problems but as it is so quick and easy to remove always took it off when refuelling etc/ Recently bought a TT just for the extra anti-theft protection.

I'm just cosidering getting my first sat nav on a bike, and this was one of the issues that was concerning me.

I don't want it falling out, or stolen....but don't want the hassle of undoing locks every time I do want to remove it.

I've not actually seen, or looked into, how much hassle the lockagle ones are....but I did wonder if a strip of heavy duty velcro on the back of the Zumo cradle might be sufficient, and add extra re-assurance, and be a good compramise?

:thumb

I don't want it falling out, or stolen....but don't want the hassle of undoing locks every time I do want to remove it.
This is where the supplied mount is acceptable IMO. There is not a solution which allows easy removal without it not also being easily stealable. I've seen someone with a lockable mount, where the mount is secured to the bike with a thumb screw :blast

...I did wonder if a strip of heavy duty velcro on the back of the Zumo cradle might be sufficient, and add extra re-assurance, and be a good compramise?
I think this will be counter-productive and is likely to make it not fit into the mount and therefore fall out. The mount is very snug - so adding some padding is likely to make the unit not engage in the mount. :augie

Divelandy, just what I was about to post :beerjug:

This thread is counter productive, as people like Dainese Brave are now afraid it will jump out, even though the mount is 100% secure.

Dainese Brave, it takes less than 1 second to remove the 660 from the mount, so I just take it out and slip it into my inside pocket everytime I get off the bike, simple. The big downside of the 550 was it was so bulky it made this difficult in slim leathers IMHO.

So forget all this rubbish about it not being secure, buy it and enjoy it :aidan

Thanks guys :thumb2

It seems there is very little risk of it falling out it seems........probably much higher risk of me of not taking it off at a petrol station :augie

:beerjug:

:idea I think you've helped identify the need for my zumo keyring. You'd not get any insurance if you left the key on the bike and therefore not leave the Zumo if it's attached to your keys.

I'm envisioning something stainless and over engineered.

:pirate

The only problem i have taking it off the mount is that Johnny Cash starts to play through the speaker at the back :blast

Back
Top Bottom