Off Road training in my area???

snerkler

Reaction score
Hi,

My wife wants to buy me an off road training day for my birthday, but cannot afford the BMW one. She has been looking at other off road training centres but they are all down south. Does anyone know where there is an off road training centre around Derbyshire or Yorkshire? (Not trial bikes though)

Cheers

yeah, Yamaha have a training centre up in North Wales dont they and I think KTM have centres around the country...

these guys run courses with REME down south, but I thought they had a main centre up north somewhere...
http://www.yamaha-offroad-experience.co.uk/courses.htm I've been on a couple of the REME days and they are really good instructors. The day was broken down into different sections, which was great for me as I found that some instructors were easier to learn from than others. Interestingly on the second day I did it was different instructors again that I picked new bits up from.

I've never been on an Ady Smith day, but they seem to come highly recommended...
http://www.adysmith.co.uk/schools/

If you can get your ass south though (a long way too) this is one lady that I'd definately recommend
http://www.adventureridingacademy.com/
Patsy's a real start and a genuinly nice person, their operation is (or seems to be) a lot smaller than others and I think benefits from that

Ive used these guys in North Yorkshire, good kit and good bikes.

http://www.i2imca.com/

Good price on that too!

One of the first "events" I did was with Husky Sports, they had a have ago day for about the same price, all kit, insurance, bike included... its not really training, more have ago but you'll start to pick up a lot from it.

have a look for main dealers up there small stuff not BM, you might find they also run similar days. The Husky one gave a discount if you booked over 4 or 5 places, so get some mates together it could be a good laugh

edit : btw, that the hell is that in your avatar?

Another one for you to try Overlander Trail Tours; much closer to you. They are based in Longnor, Satffs - but MapSource says Longnor is in Derbyshire:nenau

They have had good write ups in Trail Bike Magazine; also turns out it is run by a long lost aquaintance of ours. Having exchanged a large number of emails, we will be up there for 6 and 7 April...

Another one for you to try Overlander Trail Tours; much closer to you. They are based in Longnor, Satffs - but MapSource says Longnor is in Derbyshire:nenau

They have had good write ups in Trail Bike Magazine; also turns out it is run by a long lost aquaintance of ours. Having exchanged a large number of emails, we will be up there for 6 and 7 April...

This looks very interesting indeed, probably more along the lines of what I want, it sounds like a mini 'Ewan and Charlie' adventure rather than just going round and round the same track :thumb2

With regards to the location, looking at the map it does look like it's in Derbyshire, but I'm not sure exactly where the borders are. Buxton is in Derbyshire and this has SK postcode also. Anyway, it's only about 45 minutes from me :D

I saw that artticle in TBM for Overlander. I'll probably be having a day out with them asap, on the DRZ 400E (my 1150 is too heavy off road, after recovering from broken ankle :augie),

I think they're on the cusp of Derbyshire / Staffs, but not far from the Chesvegas.

Will do quick write up if I manage to do it in March!

Done a day out with Boyd at Overlander... you get taken on trails all over the area .. as challenging as you want them to be
well worth it

I posted this in the 1200 section already but I thought I'd just post a brief section on here as well.

Did the OTT 1-2-1 on sunday. Enjoyed it, but it could have been better. A lot of trails were far too tricky for a novice, even some more experienced riders we bumped into said how tricky some of the trails were.

I did ask to do some easier stuff, which we did for about 3 trails, and then went back to the hard stuff. I must admit I got very frustrated and dispondant at one point.

The equipment had seen better days, and he didn't have anything too suitable for a 6'4" rider. I ended up having to wear my own bike trousers.

The bike kept braking down.

Overall though I enjoyed it, and Boyd was a nice guy, I just don't think it was suitable for an absolute beginner.

Back
Top Bottom