2008 Adventure corrosion

silvermint

Reaction score
Hey all...I have an '08 Adventure which has started to corrode quite badly in places. The worst being the hollow tube in the centre of the back wheel. I brought it to Kearys to get it checked. I was informed that BMW are refusing to cover corrosion despite having another 8 months of warranty. I took the case up directly with BMW Ireland and they have decided that the corrosion was caused by me and not them!! :nenau They said that something was left sitting in the hollow for an extended period of time. :confused: The bike is washed and dried after every use and is stored in an insulated heated garage. I am disappointed with their response and was wondering if I'm the first case of this?

Here we go

Aw.jpg

Sorry......................:blast

Corrosion issue

hiya

yeah I have a 08 GSA also purchased in Kearys. same issue.. I have a rust patch inside the hollow of the rear wheel, the front engine cover was falling apart. all the black frame had mottled rust everywhere. Particularly bad was the center stand area, and around the luggage rack.

my bike was the same as yours, covered or garaged. I approached BMW Ireland who told me to bog off in no uncertain terms. I got a letter from the head of BMW engineering Ireland, who said the corrosion was in no way a manafacturing defect (never mind the EWS, fuel pump, and final drive failures)

in the end due to advancing corrosion damage to the main bolts and fastening nuts in the subframe which compromised the structure of the bike, I had to get the entire frame replaced. (BMW were not happy about that)

there are others on this forum had the same issue
see this link
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186313

there is to my knowledge about 8 riders who have brought this up with Kearys, who are very helpful and will assist you with your complaint, one of which is going to court ( I can give you the guys name in a PM if you need it)
this chap in question has been told like you that it is not a fault even though he is in warranty, but BMW told him to bog off as well. So he is going to court to try and get them to stand by the warranty on a all terrain adventure bike which rusts in the rain...

He has got has a solicitor and vehicle inspector who gave him a letter stating this is a metal issue and nothing to do with storage.

but you really need to fight this one

I have since coated my new frame in ACF-50 to stop this happening again

but best of luck with your issue

corrosion

I had the final drive unit and the tank filler replaced under warranty on an '05 RT due to corrosion. Oh and the "chrome" exhausts also as far as the silencer.

one component rusting.......possible defect ? :nenau

several components rusting..........generally is caused by what you clean the bike with, and not rinsing or completely washing the detergent off. most are corrosive with some form salt and solvents. :eek:

i use soc 100 or castrol greentec or auto glym bike wash and fully wash off all residue. i use the bike every day, even on gritted roads and my bike has no corrosion whatsoever. (20,000km on it, 18 months)

no i dont wash it every week, its washed every three or four months. had bandits, tiger 900, gs 1150 and currently 1200gs and never had corrosion issues.
my tuppence worth :augie

I wash the bike after every use with warm water and take it for a run to dry it before storage. I rarely use detergent. No more than twice a year. My other bikes havent rusted so Im convinced its a fault with the bike as opposed to anything I've done.

I am sure I read that you shouldn't wash the bike using warm water in areas where salt is used on the roads during the winter? I believe the warm water somehow increases the power of the salt to corrode and that you should rinse off with cold water only...I have some corrosion on the centre hub of the rear wheel where the paint seems to have bubbled.There is also paint bubbling around the final drive.It appeared around this time last year after a trip to Donegal/Derry to do the photo rally.The bike is a late 08.I lashed on a load of ACF and the corrosion has not gotten any worse. Doesn't really bother me tbh...

I am sure I read that you shouldn't wash the bike using warm water in areas where salt is used on the roads during the winter? I believe the warm water somehow increases the power of the salt to corrode and that you should rinse off with cold water only...I have some corrosion on the centre hub of the rear wheel where the paint seems to have bubbled.There is also paint bubbling around the final drive.It appeared around this time last year after a trip to Donegal/Derry to do the photo rally.The bike is a late 08.I lashed on a load of ACF and the corrosion has not gotten any worse. Doesn't really bother me tbh...

thats correct warm water dissolves the salt only letting it penetrate into areas that it may not be or cannot be removed from

Back
Top Bottom