BMW Road Training worth the travel and expense?

Hamslay

Hey all

I'm currently riding an F800S, but the only thing stopping me switching to a 1200GS is the thoughts of having trouble with low speed handing (30" inside leg!). So, I thought I'd book 2 or 3 days training, 1 just to build up low speed confidence and then do a little road training.

World of BMW looks great, and I could also hire a GS for one of the days to get some experience, but I'm 5 hours from Wales. To do 3 days of training I'd need 3 or 4 nights of accommodation on top. It's got to the point now that the wife has turned it into a holiday in Wales, with the kid, the dog and the kitchen sink! Also, the whole family going means it has to be in half-term, and then the accommodation costs more...

So I was just wondering, is the BMW training worth it, or am I going to be better off doing a few days more locally (Herts/Beds) and just leaving Wales for the inevitable off-roading days further down the line? It's turning into quite a faff for 3 days training, but I'll go through it if the training is the best in the country.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Hey all

I'm currently riding an F800S, but the only thing stopping me switching to a 1200GS is the thoughts of having trouble with low speed handing (30" inside leg!). So, I thought I'd book 2 or 3 days training, 1 just to build up low speed confidence and then do a little road training.

World of BMW looks great, and I could also hire a GS for one of the days to get some experience, but I'm 5 hours from Wales. To do 3 days of training I'd need 3 or 4 nights of accommodation on top. It's got to the point now that the wife has turned it into a holiday in Wales, with the kid, the dog and the kitchen sink! Also, the whole family going means it has to be in half-term, and then the accommodation costs more...

So I was just wondering, is the BMW training worth it, or am I going to be better off doing a few days more locally (Herts/Beds) and just leaving Wales for the inevitable off-roading days further down the line? It's turning into quite a faff for 3 days training, but I'll go through it if the training is the best in the country.

NO!

I still can't do U turns on my 12GSA. I just don't turn round :D
Seriously you figure a way once you own the bike. Either you don't turn round (which means not following people) or you take a little time over it.

Holiday in Scotland last year with some experienced riders. Missed the campsite by a bit so had to U turn on an uphill incline with camber going away from you on both sides. Let just say it took me a while to get to the campsite :p

Hey all

Theres been lots of info on inside leg measurements here, 30" is more than some!!
I stepped off a small 500cc honda, any manouvering including U turns (sods law went down a cul de sac in my excitement), seemed easier with the wider bars.

Training is great if you think you need some but youre really there already!

I've a 30" inside leg and that has nothing to do with my ability to do U turns!

Buy the low seat, save yourself some cash and practise in an empty car park. It's all about self belief and practise. And practise. Did I mention practise?

I

Buy the low seat, save yourself some cash and practise in an empty car park. It's all about self belief and practise. And practise. Did I mention practise?

+1 and oh yeah and dont forget to practice.

Ps get cyclinder head protectors...good ones like what Steptoe sells.

i have 34" leg and i have dropped the bike a few times in slow manouvers:blast

OK, so let me get this straight. Rather than comparing BMW training to others, you're all of the opinion that all training is a waste of time, and it's much better to buy a new bike, figure out low speed manoeuvers through trial and error, and spend the money saved on training repairing any drop damage? :eek:

Not the answer I was expecting but I shall give it due consideration. :D

OK, so let me get this straight. Rather than comparing BMW training to others, you're all of the opinion that all training is a waste of time, and it's much better to buy a new bike, figure out low speed manoeuvers through trial and error, and spend the money saved on training repairing any drop damage? :eek:

Ignore him.................he's crap at low speed and falls off regularly

Sorry, Tom:D....................only ridden with you once and you fell off in a Vineyard and no sign of a U Turn

I learnt to ride with BMW Rider Training having done my CBT near to home in advance. I have to say the quality of the training was in a different league - where the local people had the 'can't really be bothered to teach you if you don't already know' attitude, BMW RT had a very helpful set of excellent teachers.

I plan to go back for some advanced road training with them this year, not least because they have some of the most fantastic biking roads on their doorstep.

I've regularly met up with the BMW RT people at shows and stuff since and it's like meeting up with old friends :thumb

2/3 days training is OTT to develop low speed skills. Book a half days training with a local school; do some research to find out those with a good reputation and give them a call. A 15 minute chat with an instructor will soon tell you all you need to know regarding their attitude to customers; if you are satisfied they can give you what you want then book it and save yourself a shedful of money going to BMW in Wales. :thumb

you want to do some rider training do a RoSPA.

You can ride a bike, it's a matter of adjusting to the size and weight, that'll come in the 1st 50miles if you ride some nice mixed roads, as for the slow stuff, a carpark. there is a method to picking up a heavy bike. it is on youtube and been posted here a few times...why splash out on a bm course.

if you have good head guards, the scratches will be cred:thumb

may i?... just my 2 cents;

i train from total Novice to RoSPA Exam prep.
i'm constantly amazed at how little training is given to most people in low speed skills.
(not a boast - but it is true)

i've improved peoples cornering ability apart from anything else - HUGELY by spending an hour or two in a car park JUST working on handling the Bike in circles, figure 8's and slaloms.... and U Turns :p

the point being;
feck it up in a car park at walking pace / you fall over / get embarrassed.
feck it up at 60mph on a twisty B road and yer in a ditch, at best - in the morgue at worst!

the Bike behaves the same (with obvious provisos :rolleyes: ) in both cases - but the consequences are much much "bigger" at speed.

when i change Bikes i always spend some time teaching/familiarising myself with the Bike to avoid these consequences.

pay me airfare - i'll come over and Train ya!
:D

Last edited:
I would recommend i2i training here in Yorkshire

People say that they are......................very,very good

Prices offer VFM too:thumb

Hamslay

I bought my GS about 6 months ago and it had low seat as I'm also 30" leg and it's not a problem.
As others have said a carpark is a great place to learn, I have a Morrisons near me and the far end is always deserted so I can play as much as I want and it really does help.
Also use the parking bays as markers for turning in and out, after a while you'll be surprised how much tighter you can get your turns.:thumb

As everyone says, practice practice practice

Cheers
JJ

Hamslay,

If the standard of BMW road training is anything like as high as that at the BMW ORS then it will be money well spent.

Would you be using their bikes or your own? Obvious advantage being that you can practice your low speed handling and drop THEIR bikes.

Or consider doing the Level 1 basic off road course. That will REALLY improve your low speed handling, increase your general handling skills and confidence and you'll see that the inside leg measurement is not an issue. It's just a case of learning the right technique for the seat height.

Best of luck whichever way you decide to go.

I did a one day on road introduction day prior to an offroad skills level 1 course. The road instructor was very competent and professional and the bikes were nearly new. I rented an f650. There were two of us to one instructor. Spent the first part of the morning on a carpark going around cones - very useful, I think this is partly to assess your skill level. Then a bit in classroom then off through Wales with radio instruction. Stopped for lunch in a cafe then off again all afternoon.

It would be a really good way to try the 1200 but would you need three days?

Back
Top Bottom