Is this the right section.............

Deleted account 211025001

Reaction score
................for a 1974 49cc Mobylette :D

Just picked her up, all sound and present. Runs sweet (when somebody else starts it) and just needs a ticket.

I think she's lovely, a wee bit of work and she'll be as sweet as a sweet thing :)

All I need to work out now is how to start her, I can't pedal 'cos of my leg and I can't get enough oomph into her by using the pedal as a kick start - any clever ideas gratefully received :thumb2

IMG_1731.jpg

IMG_1730.jpg

IMG_1734.jpg

Andres

Wheel it forward with decompressor open, as the engine swings over @ around 4mph just open throttle :thumb

my old puch maxi :D loved a squirt of "easy start" up her chuff:thumb

quarter of a thrust of the pedal was enough!

but then.... a Puch maxi was a rocket ship compared to the Moby!

STD 871 G rip.... the strain was just too much... your rigid back end cracked right thro'

Speedy Teenager Dave:D:D:D

Andres................. why?

hm

Wheel it forward with decompressor open, as the engine swings over @ around 4mph just open throttle :thumb

Gonna have a 'proper' go this evening but neither Amanda nor I could start it last night - the guy I bought it off started it 'first pedal' :confused:

Am I right in thinking that you operate the decompresor by turning the throttle the 'wrong way', turn it over and once spinning then open the throttle?

my old puch maxi :D loved a squirt of "easy start" up her chuff:thumb

quarter of a thrust of the pedal was enough!

but then.... a Puch maxi was a rocket ship compared to the Moby!

Andres................. why?

My first ever bike was a Puch Maxi :) and that's sort of why I bought this, hankering after an old school moped - I actually intend using it as a run around for local shops and stuff...........we'll see how it goes.

Andres

Gonna have a 'proper' go this evening but neither Amanda nor I could start it last night - the guy I bought it off started it 'first pedal' :confused:

Am I right in thinking that you operate the decompresor by turning the throttle the 'wrong way', turn it over and once spinning then open the throttle?

YES but remember to use choke if engine is cold

My first ever bike was a Puch Maxi :) and that's sort of why I bought this, hankering after an old school moped - I actually intend using it as a run around for local shops and stuff...........we'll see how it goes.

Andres

Make sure plug gap is .020 thou NOT .025 thou..
if it has a carb tickler, it'll help instead of choke..:thumb2

I used to give them a couple of kicks without releasing decomp as it still sucks the fuel into the crankcase :thumb2

Make sure plug gap is .020 thou NOT .025 thou..
if it has a carb tickler, it'll help instead of choke..:thumb2

I used to give them a couple of kicks without releasing decomp as it still sucks the fuel into the crankcase :thumb2

Thanks Proff :)

Will report back when I've tried all that.

Andres

Unscrew it and give it a clean,,surprising how much compression can be lost with a tiny bit of cokeing.....should be an adjuster on the cable, should fully close about 12mm of throttle twistgrip circumference before throttle starts opening

Thanks again :)

It seems to be that the decompressor is not operating enough to allow the engine to turn over; if I hold it down with a pointy thing the engine will turn over.

There doesn't, however, seem to be any obvious adjuster either at the engine end or twistgrip end :confused: mind you, I was in a bit of a rush last night - got a spare hour this evening and a full night tomorrow - will get there in the end, it can't be that sodding complicated can it :thumb

Andres

My first bike was a Moby Luxamatic and it was easy to start so do all checks as proff says new fuel ensure carb is clean as oil pools if left for a while as its premix. Once wound up it would do 50mph down hill!!

Attachments

• moby.jpg
    moby.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 100
Off out into the garage again ..................... fingers crossed :)

In the mean time, found this, made me laugh :thumb2

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-lK6fm52Et0&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-lK6fm52Et0&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Andres

It lives!

:JB :JB :JB

Thanks for the advice :thumb2

The decompressor needed adjusting and wasn't decompressing (needs a new cable ultimatly).

Got just over 30 out of her, I do live in a very hilly area mind you :D

Andres

Back
Top Bottom