R1200GS - Matching Key Mystery

Vampire

My panniers arrived 4 weeks after the bike and my dealer was not sure on how to code the ignition key to the panniers. Tried the ignition key anyway and lo and behold, it worked! What luck, I coincidentally got a set of pannier locks that matched my ignition key.
Not used to being lucky, I tried the ignition key of another GS and guess what? It worked too!!!
Now I'm worried - what if any ignition key fits any pannier lock?
Has anyone else tried this?
I have asked my dealer to investigate but so far haven't had a response.
:confused:

Locks....

....I was told that there are some 25000 different lock codes available for the 1200GS.

Looks like you've accidentally got a complete matching set......what are the odds of that happening.............?

The rest of us have to pay £66 (GBP) for the three case locks to match!!!

Cheers:beerjug:

Dutch

Vampire said:
My panniers arrived 4 weeks after the bike and my dealer was not sure on how to code the ignition key to the panniers. Tried the ignition key anyway and lo and behold, it worked! What luck, I coincidentally got a set of pannier locks that matched my ignition key.
Not used to being lucky, I tried the ignition key of another GS and guess what? It worked too!!!
B]

The ignition key is not matched to the pannier locks, it's the other way arround, ie the pannier locks are matched to your ignition key. Since your dealer lacks the know how to do this your pannier locks is not matched to any key at all, and it seems they will fit any key you insert into them.

Re: Re: R1200GS - Matching Key Mystery

Kave said:
The ignition key is not matched to the pannier locks, it's the other way arround, ie the pannier locks are matched to your ignition key. Since your dealer lacks the know how to do this your pannier locks is not matched to any key at all, and it seems they will fit any key you insert into them.

If it helps, on other BeEmms (e.g. the R1100S) the pannier locks are changed so that the ignition key can be used on them.
Basically, the little locks are slipped out of the pannier holders and the pins on the locks are re-set to work with the ignition key. It is easy peasy to do. Any BMW dealer knows this and it is so easy to do that if he says he can't, tell him he is talking out of his arse and ask for some customer service.
Pete.

Coded locks

My dealer didn't know how to code the locks, and as he is over an hours ride each way I don't feel like going back there.

Can I code the locks myself by moving the tumblers around?

Colin

I presume you are talking about the standard 1200 system cases. If so, then yes, you probably could, however, you may not have the correct combination of "bits" to get a full set of 6 "bits" to line up. I had enough trouble getting them to line up correctly, when the top case "bits" fell out, using a dismantled pannier lock as the example to follow :)

When i ordered my top case, my dealer took my VIN no. and sent the order off to BMW in Bracknell, when the case arrived, there were 3 locks ready keyed to my bike, the other 2 are for panniers when i'm ready to order them, couldn't be more simple.

Back
Top Bottom