Taking a GS to USA - and staying there

AlanB

I'm pondering a work transfer to Houston, Texas, which will keep me there 3 years. Most of the threads on this board relate to temporary travel to the US, but what about semi-permanent? Presumably there's a whole new set of rules - emission controls, etc. Is it worth it? A work colleague who made the same journey last year and tried to take his beloved Aprilia with him was scared off by the potential cost of modifications. Are the same likely to apply to a UK spec GS?

Does anybody out there have experience of taking the bike to the US and not coming back?!

Alan

Hi Alan,
Sounds like taking coal to Newcastle, bikes are cheaper in the USA.
Probably better to get a bike there and ship it back when you return home. there would be no import duty, its a transfer of residence in your case.
Shipping is easy if you are near a port. when I returned i delivered my crated bike direct to the docks in SF with a pickup truck. That was years ago but i dont think its changed much.
And good luck in the USA

Alan

It's basically a no/no. Our American cousins will not import any used vehicle except on a 12 month temporary import certificate.

My cousin in SF is currently trying to import his beloved 1964 T120 Bonnie but keeps coming up against brick walls. If we get anywhere with this, I'll let you know.

As Patzx12 said, you are better off buying out there and importing back to the UK. Houston is easy because there are ro/ro services from Galveston directly back to Southampton. Much cheaper than flying:thumb

Bikes are about the same price at the moment as you pay a huge sales tax out there and the £ is pretty weak against the $ but this is your best option.

what's cost to ship a bike stateside and back?

The cost to ship there and back is around £1300 seafreight to the East Coast including all your customs costs. Airfreight is at least double that but only takes a couple of days:thumb

I'm pondering a work transfer to Houston, Texas, which will keep me there 3 years. Most of the threads on this board relate to temporary travel to the US, but what about semi-permanent?

There was a GSer , Nick, uses the board name of commuter, he went to work in boston for a couple of years, i think he left his GS here and bought one out there.

PM him he'll give you some advice. ps i think he now works in burma so don't expect an instant reply. :D

what's cost to ship a bike stateside and back?

I was asking about this when I bought my GSA last month,
was in communication with a bloke called Giles Ernsting at www.jamescargobikes.com
This is what they quoted me......
£985 LHR to Boston + $50 for paperwork at other end.
I'm sure that's one-way but I didn't pursue it any further as some toe rags nicked the bike
(a whole other post :mad: )
There must be plenty of other companies but that may be a benchmark price to start with

good luck
Mike

Mike

James Cargo are 1st class and that will be a one way price. I can ship a bike out to Baltimore on a ro/ro ferry for £575 each way at the moment.

Transt time is 8 days but you will be without your pride and joy for around 3 weeks.

I was asking about this when I bought my GSA last month,
was in communication with a bloke called Giles Ernsting at www.jamescargobikes.com
This is what they quoted me......
£985 LHR to Boston + $50 for paperwork at other end.
I'm sure that's one-way but I didn't pursue it any further as some toe rags nicked the bike
(a whole other post :mad: )
There must be plenty of other companies but that may be a benchmark price to start with

good luck
Mike

Keep in mind that every state has different regulations for emissions and inspections. Even registering an out-of-state bike can be a headache.

Given the length of your stay I'd recommend purchasing a used bike in the states. Craigslist or ADVrider are great sources, and if it's a bike like the GS you can do an inexpensive fly-n-ride somewhere to pick one up (in California, Nevada, Arizona, NM).

If you go the shipping route, I had a great experience in 2005 with air-freight via motorcycleexpress. I shipped a GS from Vancouver to Frankfurt as "dangerous goods" which allowed me to keep up to a gallon of fuel in the tank. About $800 one-way at the time. Finding a gas station, buying a gas can, and getting around an airport can be a nightmare, much easier if you can simply ride off from the shipping area.

Good luck!
-Sasha in Oakland, CA

Back
Top Bottom