Trail Ride Sunday 14th March

Spout

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
9.00am Texaco/Somerfield in Marple.

Let me know if you're coming. Ta.

I'll be on my Beta - so probably not "twin" friendly ;)

This Sunday

Spout,

I'd like to tag along if I may!

Will be first outing on DRZ400E - will be coming from Chesterfield, so whereabouts is the Texaco?

My number is 07989 364 080, just in case.

See you Sunday

Cheers

John

John,

Texaco Garage/Somerfield in Marple (junction where A626 heads off to Glossop). Map ref SJ955887. SK6 6DQ. Toilets/food/hot drinks available.

See you there :thumb

Spout,

I'd like to tag along if I may!

Will be first outing on DRZ400E - will be coming from Chesterfield, so whereabouts is the Texaco?

See you Sunday

Cheers

John

John, I was in Chesterfield yesterday picking up a set of 400E wheels, the guy was out but his missus opened up the garage & he had a red GS.
Wasn't yours was it? (said his name was Mike though) :blast

Small world if it is or if you know him.

Have fun tomorrow, bit too far for me to ride to from The Wirral on my 400E. Spout's one of the good guys & will look after you. :thumb

Hi Spout,

I can't make this one tomorrow, although it would have been good. I did go for a ride today, went and had a look at Chapelgate. It is still pretty snowy (didnt do it as it didnt look any fun, not much grip) and so went down Roych instead that still has some snow, is very wet and slippy at the top, especially for getting up that steep step. (I dropped my bike trying and gave up as couldn't get any traction with a worn out tyre). Not sure if you were intending to go that way or not just thought I would give you up to date info.

Did tenterhills as well and that was wet and a bit slippy but fine to do.

All the other lanes I went on were either nice and muddy or nice and dry.

I will come out next time all being well.

Mat

Spout's Tour

Spout

Thanks for a superb day out - only limited by my lack of fitness!

We were unexpectedly joined by a big fella on a KTM 250, who ended up with a puncture, but had a similarly great time.

Excellent choice of trails (Roych uphill....:augie), mix of tracks and road and secenery. Will definitely be out again.

Beer Hunter - no was not me flogging DRZ wheels - my 1150 is blue and white. First trip out on the 10 year old DRZE today (ex Big Den bike), and despite its age, did not disappoint :clap. Spout was an excellent guide and host. I'm glad I don't live in London any more!

A good days trail riding.:thumb

My original plan was to meet up with Vince and John in Marple and then miss out most of the local trails, hot foot it over to Wildboarclough, Three Shires and revisit an old favourite Tenterhills and then test my memory and map reading skills to try and retrace a route that I was led on two weeks ago with the TRF towards the Ashbourne area (I also wanted to see if I still struggled with 15psi rather than 33psi I’d been using in my tyres).

A text from Vince on Saturday night (he’d forgotten it was Mothers Day so couldn’t come) meant it was going to be just the two of us, and as John had come all the way over from Chesterfield I changed my plans regarding the local trails.

We started on the BOAT off Smithy Lane and headed to Mellor Cross where we stopped to admire the view and were joined by Stu on his KTM250. He’d recently passed his test and we invited him to ride with us so he could learn the legal routes.

I knew the TRF had organised a ride, and would be coming up The Banks (Donkey Track) and I didn’t want to bump into them as we came down, but the tyre tracks at Mellor Cross suggested they’d already passed through. Of course Sods Law came into play and the two groups met half way up/down. :blast

We then headed down Linnet Clough along Strines and then over New Mills Golf Course and across the tops to Buxworth. Confidence levels of the two “newbies” :D had increased (Stu used to ride motocross as a youngster) so I thought I’d treat then to Royche Clough where we had our first spill (some snow catching out John). :clap

The steep rock step section caused some problems being partly snow filled, but as we arrived there at the same time as another group also having problems there were plenty of hands to haul all the bikes through. It appears that part of the wall on the high side has either collapsed or been pulled down (to be used for grip?) and will need repairing. It also looks like 4x4s have been missing the section out by travelling along the lower fence line (a route I had to use once on my SP370 and sidecar), there’s some rutting and damage to the grass but should repair itself if no longer used.

Further sections of snow have caused riders/drivers to stray off the trail, but luckily mostly towards the fence/wall side. It all looks a bit messy in places at the moment but not real damage. It is now possible to stay on route, although it was obvious that some riders are occasionally still taking the easier option.:mmmm

Your Royche Clough cherry is now well and truly popped John. :clap

Stu needed fuel so we headed down to Chapel and then over Combes where he picked up a front puncture. As he’d told his missus he was only “popping out” for 5 minutes he elected to slowly ride home before it went completely flat rather than attempt a repair.

The two of us continued via the Goyt Valley trails and then tarmac to Wildboarclough (which has recently reopened) and a welcome “Rolo break” at Three Shires Head.
We passed a group of young walkers and it was nice to hear their leader/teacher remind them that they were walking on a road and not a footpath and the sight of a DRZ lying on its side should be expected :D (sorry John). A couple of further near tumbles from John showed that he was getting tired and it was time to call it a day before any damage (to bike or body) was done, and so after another couple of trails we headed down to Buxton where he treated me to a late lunch. Thank you. :bow

There was a guy in the café complaining about the police targeting trail riders. His bike had a number plate that I’d need my reading glasses to see – we don’t do ourselves any favours do we!:confused:

A somewhat shorter day than planned (we finished where I was originally going to start!), but thoroughly relaxed and enjoyable. Are you up for Part 2 John?

:thumb2

Spout,

Yes, I'm up for Part 2!

Matt, this Saturday could be tricky, as it's St Pat's Weekend, plus Ireland will be winning the Triple Crown on Saturday :aidan

Back
Top Bottom