Why you should NEVER use the rear brake!

Rusape

Reaction score
A buddy of mine recently returned from a weekends Motorcycle control course.. think he did MC1 + MC3??

He came back with a huge grin and hasn't stopped talking about what he'd learnt.

Jumping a fully laden WING over concrete slabs.... with no hands,
emergency stops, centrifugal force, gyroscopic effect balancing, super counter steering, ultra slow speed control etc etc etc..

He then went on to tell me that from what he'd learnt, he will NEVER use his rear brake again....EVER.

When I asked him to explain, he couldn't. He just kept saying "you don't have to if you understand gyroscopes, but I cant remember why, it just works"

So, learned gentlemen/ladies, who can give me the answer... sounds like a loads of old Bollix to me?

Hmmm - I use mine on quite a few occasions, 80% front 20% rear in normal dry riding, 60/40 in the wet, rear only to adjust turning circle and defo when I have a passenger to balance the brake forces and keep the bike stable for both of us. Also slow speed twisty work. To not use it ever seems a bit strong

Even though the GS tends not to dive under braking, using the rear brake certainly spreads the load through the tires to minimise the chance of front wash outs or lock ups

... sounds like a loads of old Bollix to me?

+1 :thumb
Why have major manufacturers link brakes?
How would you control wheelies without a rear brake?
On certain surfaces I hardly touch the front brake at all and gently use the rear.
If you have to scrub some speed off going around a corner for any reason the rear does not make the bike "stand up" so much
blah blah blah

I now standby to be corrected and educated......:augie

Last edited:
Stunt-riding Goldwings.

A local (Cloggy) asked me whether my training included riding over old 'bike tyres at 60mph (ie, laid flat on the ground). It didn't. His did.

Sorry if this a hijack, but it's the 1st time I've come across this type of riding since.

I'll carry on using my back brake.

B.

What a load of old bollix - if he's not going to use it EVER again then tell him to remove it to save weight:augie What brake is he going to use when coming in slowly to a rain and diesel sodden roundabout? If he jabs that front brake on then he is gonna be on his arse :blast - the instructor on his course must have shit for brains if he seriously taught him to ignore the rear brake.

Erm...don't Goldwings have Honda's bizarrely complicated linked brakes?

:nenau

Inever use mine apart from U turns and off road.If you're being really hard on the brakes,the back wheel isn't on the road anyway,so why fight that big lump called an engine that can do lots of braking for you.

Erm...don't Goldwings have Honda's bizarrely complicated linked brakes?

:nenau

Got to be something to do with that. Doesn't the rear pedal operate two and a half front pots and one and five eighths of the rear when there is an R in the month, while the lever operates 83.4% of four fifths of the front and 19/32nds of the rear unless you are carrying a packet of bourbon biscuits in the top box, or something? :nenau

Got to be something to do with that. Doesn't the rear pedal operate two and a half front pots and one and five eighths of the rear when there is an R in the month, while the lever operates 83.4% of four fifths of the front and 19/32nds of the rear unless you are carrying a packet of bourbon biscuits in the top box, or something? :nenau

That's the feckers!

:thumb

A buddy of mine recently returned from a weekends Motorcycle control course.. think he did MC1 + MC3??

He came back with a huge grin and hasn't stopped talking about what he'd learnt.

Jumping a fully laden WING over concrete slabs.... with no hands,
emergency stops, centrifugal force, gyroscopic effect balancing, super counter steering, ultra slow speed control etc etc etc..

He then went on to tell me that from what he'd learnt, he will NEVER use his rear brake again....EVER.

When I asked him to explain, he couldn't. He just kept saying "you don't have to if you understand gyroscopes, but I cant remember why, it just works"

So, learned gentlemen/ladies, who can give me the answer... sounds like a loads of old Bollix to me?
Sounds like he went here:
http://www.i2imca.com/page9.htm

Utter bollox, it's ginger nuts, not bourbons.

Or was it hobnobs? :confused:

And they have to be in the left pannier, not the topbox. If you don't believe me, just look it up in Wikipedia but just leave it five minutes before you check...

Makes you wonder why Mick Doohan bothered with that left thumb operated rear brake. Perhaps he should have done that course, or raced on a Goldwing.

When manouvering slowly in tight spaces, you should only use the throttle, clutch and rear brake

I'm doing MC2 in a few weeks, I'll ask when I'm up there. The i2imca courses seem to be very interesting, I'm planning on doing all of them, really concentrate on machine control.

Back
Top Bottom