Riders RBLR 1000

I'll see you there:thumb2

Myself and SamD are doing the Northern Anti-Clockwise route......

Cool

Why clockwise? I am going to do the northern route too being scottish exiled in wiltshire but thought it might be clockwise for me because I am from aberdeenshire and know that side of the country better for when i am tired.

Why clockwise? I am going to do the northern route too being scottish exiled in wiltshire but thought it might be clockwise for me because I am from aberdeenshire and know that side of the country better for when i am tired.

I've got similar thoughts. My view was that the A1 route is slow a the best of times, and littered with speed cameras. Therefore I'd get that out of the way when I'm alert, leaving the motorway trawl back from Glasgow as the easy bit when I'm most tired.

Im also on the RBLR1000 ride again this year.
Last year i went north anti-clockwise, A1 up was very good and clear the only issue (if you can really call it an issue) was going through Glencoe and all the picturesque side in the dark.

So this year it will be the Northern clockwise route for me.

I'm doing this one as well:bounce1

Nice to know there will be some a few riders to follow who have already worked out the route:D

Northern route - clock or ante?

We chose to do this route clockwise last year, the reason being - an aversion to ride across the M62 into the rising sun - not a good idea.

Even if it were to rain and the sun to be hidden behind a cloud - unusual as that might be in Yorkshire - the M62 is a taxing ride and one best tackled when sharp, not after approx. 18 hours in the saddle.

Whichever route you decide upon, best of luck & all the best, Jim.

RBLR 1000 RIDE

I am doing the run clockwise at the moment,will run up friday night to get an early start,looks like 8am start and signing on half an hour earlier at least to allow you to get going i am riding my GSA1150 02,JUST WAITING TO GET MY HANDS ON AN AIRHAWK!!!

See you all there, I'll be using whichever route SamD has plotted for us:augie

I'll be there approx 2pm on Friday. Briefing is at 6pm, then England v Algeria at 7.30pm.

The landlord will be p**sed off, we'll all be on the Evian :D

Oops, my first and second ride partners have dropped out.

So if you're doing north-clockwise, don't be alarmed to see a black 1150 in your slipstream. It'll just be me, hoping that you know where you're going :augie

Hi all
on the 19th and 20th of June I will be doing 1000 miles in 24hours to raise money for the Poppy appeal please feel free to donate through justgiving
at http://www.justgiving.com/Ian-Sievewright
or go to www.rblr.co.uk for more details oh the more the merier you can sign up to do it there.
thanks Ian

Sorry about your tough luck mate:( next year then:thumb2

North clockwise for me. I'll be there with me tent on the Friday afternoon.

Good to meet you, I hope it went well.

I am doing the run clockwise at the moment,will run up friday night to get an early start,looks like 8am start and signing on half an hour earlier at least to allow you to get going i am riding my GSA1150 02,JUST WAITING TO GET MY HANDS ON AN AIRHAWK!!!

Missed you, again I hope it went well:thumb2

SamD and myself went South, popped our Iron butt cherries and were back by 1am. Northern route for us next year, see you there.

Success!?

Saw my mate Clint off from Squires @ 06:30, having seen the massed throngs depart @ 05:30. Many more riders than last year, and Paddy and his army of stalwarts had utilised their learning from last year's inaugural event to good effect, pre-booking and paperwork meant that 350+ riders left in rapid & good order. having done the official admin the evening/night before.

Clint; a superb rider and blessed with the best forward observation I have had the pleasure of witnessing, was planning on attempting the Iron Butt's "Platinum" award - 1,500 miles in the 24 hour period - having done the 1,000 mile last year. He'd worked out; in meticulous detail as he's that sort of organised chap, that to stand a chance of completing the platinum, that he'd need to be back @ Squires by 22:00. Leaving him the third 500 miles to do in 8.5 hours.

RBLR & Iron Butt UK rules require you not to have broken any traffic laws in the attempt, therefore arrive back @ Squires earlier than 16.5 hours after your departure time and - no award! (my arrival @ 21:50 caused consternation, with several well meaning officials attempting to get me to "go around the block" before they officially noticed my "early arrival" - when I got my helmet off and explained that I was merely a rider's groupie, their relief was palpable)

The first official "finishers" started arriving @ 22:10, some having spent 15 or so minutes in nearby lay-bys making sure that they did not complete the course too early and risk disqualification. Noticeable that a couple of singles were amongst the first across the line, their riders chipper and ready for more!

Clint arrived back @ 22:30 and made the decision not to go for the platinum, as he was not confident of being in a fit enough state towards the later stages of his third 500 mile leg, so off he went home - Moffat, a mere 167 miles away!

So, next year we are going for the platinum, 1,500 miles in 24 hours, and we'll benefit from Clint's "dry run" this year. Clint followed the RBLR northern clockwise loop, and formed the view that to have a reasonable chance of safely completing the challenge, a route composed of more motorway miles is needed - boring, tedious & tyre squaring, yes - but less prone to unexpected hold-ups, tractors & closed petrol stations.

See you there next year?

All the best, Jim.

ps. - Clint rode this year's event on his own, as his father had gone off to Norway, and I was working on both the Saturday & Sunday. (now all I need to do is come up with a plausible excuse for next year!)

Good to meet you, I hope it went well.

Good to meet ya Mort :thumb2

I kept an eye out for that lovely looking bike of yours on Sunday, but couldn't see you anywhere. I stayed for the free lunch and the MotoGP :augie

As for the SS1000 itself, I was battered by the end, and spent most of the last 100 miles down the A9 hallucinating due to sleep deprivation :eek:

I'd do it all again though, and might attempt another IBA ride this summer (either an End-to-End or a BB1500). What I find very refreshing about the IBA crew is an almost total lack of ego, no matter what bike anyone's on or what walk of life they come from.

Makes a nice change from most of the intertubes biker groups, especially.

Big thanks to the organisers, and big congrats to anyone who attempted the ride..

011-2.jpg

Good to meet ya Mort :thumb2

I kept an eye out for that lovely looking bike of yours on Sunday, but couldn't see you anywhere. I stayed for the free lunch and the MotoGP :augie

As for the SS1000 itself, I was battered by the end, and spent most of the last 100 miles down the A9 hallucinating due to sleep deprivation :eek:

I'd do it all again though, and might attempt another IBA ride this summer (either an End-to-End or a BB1500). What I find very refreshing about the IBA crew is an almost total lack of ego, no matter what bike anyone's on or what walk of life they come from.

Makes a nice change from most of the intertubes biker groups, especially.

Big thanks to the organisers, and big congrats to anyone who attempted the ride..

011-2.jpg

Finished the ride, had a cup of coffee and rode home:blast
The bike was in the garage and I was in bed by 3.30am

Back
Top Bottom