Mobile SIM for Argentina/Bolivia/Peru/N.Chile

tonkatoy

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm off to BsAs in April touring the above countries. I want to get at least some mobile coverage but I'm thinking that a local SIM will work out cheaper than roaming charges on a UK phone, especially if I'm calling local people. Has anyone bought or can recommend either a suitable SIM or a supplier in BsAs ?

Ideally I'd prefer one SIM for all the countries but that's just to make it easier. If the answer is, buy a SIM in each country because it's cheaper, works better then that's fine. What I need is the local expertise.

Do any of the countries have 3G / mobile data in any form or is it all strictly mobile voice only (I'm guessing BsAs potentially will but..... ?).

Any idea of coverage would be helpful although less important. I'm half expecting that there will be lots of places where there is no coverage but I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

And of course any other info you may have on the subject would be useful

Cheers

Dave

... Hi Mate,

... You'll probably be better off buying a SIM in each country if you plan on making lot's of calls. If you only want the phone for emergencies then you can just get one and bung $20 worth of credit on it. But...

... My Argentine 'Claro' SIM doesn't work in Chile. My Chilean 'Entel PCS' SIM seems to work everywhere, but that's feck all use if you're arriving in BsAs.

... Check Movistar, they have good coverage in all countries so maybe you can get away with just one chip. There are phone dealers on every street so there's no problem getting hold of chips. Obviously make sure you unblock your phone before setting out.

... You will need to learn how to buy 'credit' and load the phone in Spanish, but normally the credit vendor can do that for you if you're unsure.

... Coverage does get patchy in the mountains, on very remote highways and if you go into the jungle in Peru or desert in Chile. But it's improving all the time.

... Hope this helps :thumb

... And another thing :rob

... Inside Argentina calling a BsAs cell number the code is '15' XXXX XXXX

... Calling from outside Argentina the code is '+54 911' XXXX XXXX

... For roaming, Argentines will still call you on the '15' code, everyone else has to use the '+54 911' format

... Oh and yet another thing :rob

... When buying a SIM in Lat-Am, the word is 'Chip'

... For the authentic experience, paste on your finest 'Viva Zapata' moustache and say 'Cheep' :D

Back
Top Bottom