PDA

View Full Version : Snowdon to Ben Nevis via Scafell - route help?

cheesysalesman
23-03-10, 20:43
Me and a few mates are travelling doing the three peaks starting on Good Friday and because we are muppets, we are doing it on our bikes - sadly not ones with engines!! We are doing it for Help for Heroes.

I am in charge of planning the route and have need a bit of help? I don't suppose that anybody has a non motorway route that takes in the three peaks and does so via Arran (to avoid glasgow).

My basic plan is leave the Pen y Gwryd hotel and ride to the Faenol Fawr Country House (St Asaph).

From St Asaph to Garstang - day 2

Garstang to Wasdale Head - Lancaster - day 3

Longtown to Ardrossen - day 4

7 am ferry to Arran ride across to Newton. Ferry to Callonaig. Then ride to Oba, staying at The Lancaster.

I have a Zumo 550 that our support driver can have in the van, so does anybody have any nice routes for our various legs?

Once we're north of the border, any outriders are most welcome!

Would be a much better trip on my proper bike, but less of a challenge!!

Popeye
24-03-10, 11:58
This any good for you.

Mapsource 2010.30 using cycle preferences and shortest route. Can't say whether it's particularly scenic or not. If you want it tweaked let me know.

If you run this on a Zumo the timings will be out :blast

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m243/brewster_r1/cheesysalesmanmap.jpg

Envy you the walking but definately not the pedalling.

Good luck with the venture :clap

Norrie
24-03-10, 14:27
Unless you rely have to do Arran why not use the Gourock -Dunoon ferry from Hunters Quay, there is a newsagent near the ferry where you can buy your tickets for the crossing slightly cheaper than on the ferry it'self, perhaps some of the local lad's may know the name of it

Norrie

best of luck with the challenge

wully
24-03-10, 15:08
Unless you rely have to do Arran why not use the Gourock -Dunoon ferry from Hunters Quay, there is a newsagent near the ferry where you can buy your tickets for the crossing slightly cheaper than on the ferry it'self, perhaps some of the local lad's may know the name of it

Norrie

best of luck with the challenge

Arran is a bit hilly....so I'd avoid it on push bikes. Also I think the Skipness ferry to Arran is still running from Tarbert- you'd need to check.

The ferry you're talking about is Western Ferries (http://www.western-ferries.co.uk/) And it runs between Hunters Quay (Dunoon side) and Gourock.

Norrie
24-03-10, 15:56
Arran is a bit hilly....so I'd avoid it on push bikes. Also I think the Skipness ferry to Arran is still running from Tarbert- you'd need to check.

The ferry you're talking about is Western Ferries (http://www.western-ferries.co.uk/) And it runs between Hunters Quay (Dunoon side) and Gourock.

Thank's Wully

I was led to believe Hunter's Quay was on the Gourock side,but ye can't beat local knowledge :thumb2

Norrie

ricardo
24-03-10, 18:03
Once you get past Oban there seems to be a new cycle path running parallel to the main road. I think parts are on a dis-used railway line.

cheesysalesman
25-03-10, 20:18
for your help guys. Great advise on the cycle track but we are on lightweight races on slicks with 110psi in them - not suitable for cinders.. Ed

ricardo
26-03-10, 17:22
Ed I think it's tarmac - but it looks fairly twisty so you might be right. Good luck with the trip.