Long weekends in the Alps - come along!

rin_sun

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Whele and I have decided that while we are living in Southern Germany (in the Schwabian Alps) we would like to go on one weekend trip a month through the summer. We are saving Garmisch-Partenkirchen until the snow has receded and the pass is open, about June, and we have some more lovely roads to try, Schwarzwaldhochstrasse included. We'd love to share them.

The loose plan is this:
We plan a route for Saturday and Sunday, staying at a guest house overnight (or 2 depending on how much time people have). Anyone who wants to come and stay over at our house before and/after for a night to gather themselves, especially if they ride over is welcome. It's a nice ride to here in itself. We can sleep 3-5 in proper beds (2 double one single, depends on how well you know each other, with space on floors if necessary).
The road quality here is wonderful, despite the snow only disappearing now, the temperatures have risen to 16 degrees in the daytime. The driving standards are high and the roads pretty empty. It feels deserted after the M25!

So if you fancy a long weekend, and a ride on some beautiful roads in company, let us know. We plan one for April, May, June, July August and September. Any preferences which road?
Whele and his Garmin are ready!

Catherine.

Me, me, me!

I'd be up for this - I live partly in France (Besancon) not a zillion miles from the land of the swabes.

Schwarzwald is close to me and if you'd like to explore Alsace and the Vosges, I'd be pleased to exchange hospitality.

Working on the first one …

And I forgot to say we have a large bike garage suitable for many bikes, about 8 big twins I think. (Of course there are 2 in there already, but we are v creative).

Long weekends in the Alps

Interesting post, the image of nice roads and scenary (B500?) sounds great. 3 of us on GS's are planning a weeks trip to somewhere down your way in middle June date TBC, any thoughts on what weekend your looking at?

Pete :JB

the Alp's ! horrible place

Lol Ash, just sat here totally unplanned for the last hour or so reading your scribes, it does indeed look horrible and has totally put me off going now ffs.

On a half serious note, brill rendition of your trip, cant friggin wait to get off on a trip now,I might even look at you intinary as a model lol, have you any more planned and did you pre-book the hotels you stayed at? I have never bothered in the past, maybe its getting more popular so maybe I should.

Regards to you

Peter
:beerjug:

Lol Ash, just sat here totally unplanned for the last hour or so reading your scribes, it does indeed look horrible and has totally put me off going now ffs.

On a half serious note, brill rendition of your trip, cant friggin wait to get off on a trip now,I might even look at you intinary as a model lol, have you any more planned and did you pre-book the hotels you stayed at? I have never bothered in the past, maybe its getting more popular so maybe I should.

Regards to you

Peter
:beerjug:
:thumb
just sorting out R1200GS.
as soon as it's sorted and the sun comes out i will venture to Spain [picos].
i think.
i never pre booked any hotels although i have the F1 / Accor hotels hotel location booklet.
Mrs garmin 660 found any hotel i needed other than the one in Andermatt as i had stayed there before.
cannot recommend the Alps enough whether you are experienced euro traveller or not
:bow :bow the warm weather helped of course. :beerjug:

Thinking about date in June

Sorry not got that far yet. Will discuss.
Catherine.

A few dates now

Hi
We're off tomorrow to Schwarzwaldhochstrasse and Baden Baden now. We were planning to go to Garmisch Partenkirchen but the weather is not cooperating so we're going in the other direction!
Just for the day. Anyone who is about please contact we'll be happy to meet up.

The first week of June we are planning a few days to Italy and perhaps Slovenia.
The first week of July also, but destination TBC.
Then in August we're planning a couple of weeks, but don't know dates yet.

Get in touch if you fancy coming over from England and going out in a group. We've found some lovely maps from local hotels with routes through local biking heaven.

Catherine.
07742 404920 or PM me

Test rode the , Schwarzwaldhochstrasse

Yes I can spell it. We did a bit yesterday tho the weather still tried to dampen our spirits. It didn't work. We had a lovely ride along another section and whetted our appetite to return. Super road along the ridge wide and sweeping bends, good visibility. I did feel the cars were a bit out of place on what felt like a track … but at least they were polite and stayed out of our way.
So the reason for telling you all of this is that we plan to go back for a few days and stay during the week of 31st May to June 4th. If anyone can make it get in touch.
We will post up about dates in July soon.

The proviso is that we may go in another direction if the weather is better at Garmisch Partenkirchen say, we plan a trip there too, maybe the one after.

Last year we arrived at this time of year and the weather was blistering hot and sunny. We're hopeful that it will be again soon.

I fear that may not fit in with Peter C but we can always do a couple of days at another weekend too.

Catherine

Back
Top Bottom