ROSPA

MerrickCampbell

Reaction score
Returned to riding; done some training at World of BMW in wales (very good I have to say and all on a brand new 10 reg 1200) confidence now much improved. BUT I would like to do some more formal training and get to know a local ROSPA group? I live at Wycombe and Chalfonts/Rickmansworth are very much my local stamping grounds. My bike 1200GSA is from SBW Hertford so that area is not too far for me nor would be Marlow in the opposite direction. If anybody can give me some ideas it will be much appreciated :thumb2

Returned to riding; done some training at World of BMW in wales (very good I have to say and all on a brand new 10 reg 1200) confidence now much improved. BUT I would like to do some more formal training and get to know a local ROSPA group? I live at Wycombe and Chalfonts/Rickmansworth are very much my local stamping grounds. My bike 1200GSA is from SBW Hertford so that area is not too far for me nor would be Marlow in the opposite direction. If anybody can give me some ideas it will be much appreciated :thumb2

Hi Merrick,

I did my RoSPA 2 years ago and found the instructor via the RoSPA web site. His name is David Carter and I found him here:
http://www.roadar.org/groups/index.htm
after downloading the approved instructors list. He covers the whole of the Thames Valley area as well as doing the Bike Safe courses from the Ace Cafe. I'm not part of any group and only went out on 1 observed ride prior to putting in for my test. It so happened that he was also the examiner for my test. Got the result I wanted (Gold award):D and now looking to re-sit and get the same result next year.:thumb2

Good luck with it.

Ride safe:thumb2

Chris.

Got the result I wanted (Gold award):D and now looking to re-sit and get the same result next year.:thumb2
QUOTE]

I thought the Gold pass was good for 3 years, only bronze that you have to retake each year.

Out of interest how many rides did you do with this guy? Do you think you ride much better know or was there only a few things you needed to improve on?

Tried to get out with Rospa a few years ago and to be honest was left with the same bad feeling as I was 10 years ago. I take it this guy charges for his time?

Hugh.

Ooops, just reread and noticed your 3 years will be up next year, doh:)

Got the result I wanted (Gold award):D and now looking to re-sit and get the same result next year.:thumb2
QUOTE]

I thought the Gold pass was good for 3 years, only bronze that you have to retake each year.

Out of interest how many rides did you do with this guy? Do you think you ride much better know or was there only a few things you needed to improve on?

Tried to get out with Rospa a few years ago and to be honest was left with the same bad feeling as I was 10 years ago. I take it this guy charges for his time?

Hugh.

Ooops, just reread and noticed your 3 years will be up next year, doh:)

Only 1 assessed ride with him, the cost - £30.00. I already knew the techniques to safe advanced riding after fully reading "Roadcraft". A number of years back I completed a Defensive / Evasive driving course which used used all the Roadcraft principles. I just adapted them to bike riding over the years.... I wouldn't suggest I ride much better after receiving my gold award but I do recognise that my thought process when riding is very different to that of a few years back. .....

IAM?

Have you considered the IAM?

Thames Vale Advanced Motorcyclists (TVAM) is a very active club with over 1,000 members.

They meet the third sunday of every month at St Crispin's school in Wokingham.

They also have a wide programme of rides, events, training, etc held throughout the year.

You can just turn up on a 3rd sunday and go out for a ride with an observer who will provide feedback for you. This is free of charge! If you like what you see, you can then decide to join.

:comfort

TVAM

Have you considered the IAM?

Thames Vale Advanced Motorcyclists (TVAM) is a very active club with over 1,000 members.

They meet the third sunday of every month at St Crispin's school in Wokingham.

They also have a wide programme of rides, events, training, etc held throughout the year.

You can just turn up on a 3rd sunday and go out for a ride with an observer who will provide feedback for you. This is free of charge! If you like what you see, you can then decide to join.

:comfort

Thanks, I will ride over Sunday am. Is it 9.00 start?

Thanks, I will ride over Sunday am. Is it 9.00 start?

Yes 09:00 will be fine.

There are people on the door who meet and greet visitors. :comfort

You will be able to grab a cuppa and I think a guy also does bacon rolls now.

:beerjug:

Yes 09:00 will be fine.

There are people on the door who meet and greet visitors. :comfort

You will be able to grab a cuppa and I think a guy also does bacon rolls now.

:beerjug:

Thanks for pointing me towards TVAM. I had a good meet up there with a rideout etc, etc. I think I will go that route as RoSPA training seems a little thin on ground in my area. Tanks again for your suggestion.:)

Thanks for pointing me towards TVAM. I had a good meet up there with a rideout etc, etc. I think I will go that route as RoSPA training seems a little thin on ground in my area. Tanks again for your suggestion.:)

I'm glad it went well for you! I hope you join as I am sure you will enjoy the advanced training.

Cheers :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom