Pro Rallye 3 suit

Ollie GBR

Reaction score
Thought I'd put up a few words as I've purchased the Pro Rallye 3 suit from BMW yesterday.

I had the Rallye 2, but found it uncomfortable when worn with the liners attached in the trousers. (Didn't work this out for some time as was messing about with different seats).
I even looked into having the Gortex liner adjusted, but it was too much hassle and too expensive. Only really using my bike in the summer months, I just put it down to a costly life experience.

The Rallye3 has a flexible system in place to address this issue.
Both Gortex liners enjoy this new update.
The suit when worn with the liners attached feels less restrictive than it's predecessor, and lighter too.
The velcro collar is longer on the jacket and therefore able to join its counterpart even when worn with a buffy or the like.

The suit stands out less, (I think), looks more run of the mill textile suits.
The trouser Gortex liners are longer, and cover more of your boots, (great if they're not waterproof).
The back protector covers a larger portion of your back. Gone is the additional liner in the jacket to house the shoulder/elbow protectors. This is incorporated into the main jacket.

I've yet to use it, (as it's raining outside:augie), but will add an update as when.

Cheers
Ollie

How much for the Pro 3 Ollie if it's not too rude to ask?

The trouser Gortex liners are longer, and cover more of your boots, (great if they're not waterproof).

My Daniese goretex pants had this feature and lasted three month, as boots quickly destroy goretex fabric - or are you saying that BMW have protected the goretex from rubbing? If not, you'll end up with wet feet. :rob

Road tested for a week

I too bought the Rallye 3 suit and took it down to Spain for a week 2 weeks ago.

Comments:

Waterproof, didn't get wet though we had heavy rain a couple of days.

Comfortable, the stretch panels in the goretex liners seem to work well though the liners seemed to stick out of the bottom of the trousers a bit!

Pockets, plenty of pockets and the bottom 2 on the jacket appear to be waterproof though I didn't keep anything in them when it rained. Not so keen on the closure of the pockets as it's a fold-over type design with velcro closures. Easy to get in though I did worry about losing stuff, didn't happen though! The higher pockets are zipped though.

Protection, bloody hell, there is loads of it, huge back protector, and massive elbow and knee protectors, I felt like Iron Man wearing this lot! I guess it would look after you well in a spill.

All in all, well made, typical BMW quality though pricey.

My Daniese goretex pants had this feature and lasted three month, as boots quickly destroy goretex fabric - or are you saying that BMW have protected the goretex from rubbing? If not, you'll end up with wet feet. :rob

I brought this to the attention of the parts manager at the store.
Your right, boots rub through the inside layer of the Gortex liners.
There's no additional protection in this area for the Rallye 3, and is something that BMW have missed. Most people will wear this suit with buckled boots, and these 'sharp' edges will quickly wear the liners out.

Looks good Ollie. Cheers for the post!

Is the Rallye 3 definitely Gore-Tex, only there was talk on the web of BMW not using Gore-Tex for Rallye 3 and opting for an alternate "C.A.R.E" membrane instead?

Is that membrane as good? Have you been out in any wild wet weather this week? Would love to know!

Ollie
I had a brief look at this suit yesterday at my local dealer and I really like it.
I was looking for Rallye 2 but there isn't anything around in my size and after looking at Rallye 3 I think I need to start saving.:augie

Could you post when you have had more use of it and let me know your thoughts.
As you've had Rallye 2 you could give me a good insight as to whether the new one is all that they say.:thumb

Cheers
JJ

I've only used the suit once so far, for about three hours.
It feels warmer that it's predecessor, I need to wear less layers underneath the jacket for this time of year.
The jacket itself is lighter and less restrictive.
I like the idea of the waterproof pockets at the front of the jacket, but they should have been the other way around. ie the zipped pockets should be waterproof and the flap pockets should not be. I use the flap pockets when I'm off the bike.
The cargo pocket on the leg is ideal for a mobile, you normally remove the jacket when off the bike and it's always good to have your mobile at your finger tips at all times, (in my job it is).
The Gortex liner is longer in the leg, and I believe it's too long for the trousers, that is, it sticks out of the bottom a few inches or so. There's probably a good reason for this but I end up having to stuff it back up the trouser leg.

That's about it for now, when I use it more I'll post more.

Ollie

Hi Ollie,

I'm interested to hear further from you especially after your heavy rain ride if you ever get a chance to do so! I am still dithering between Pro Ralley 3 suit and ComfortShell for hot weather riding abroad. I found my Streetguard 3 excellent in everything except for hot weather riding above 30 deg C but perfect for UK climate all year round. I've just come back home from skiing in France and Streetguard 3 functioned brilliantly on ski slopes (with back protector and knee protectors removed of course!).

Mike

I'm off to the US next week, (Arizona), for work and have planned a little weekend excursion:augie
I've hired a 1200GS for the weekend and plan to ride up to Sedona and the Grand Canyon:JB
Now, the weather in Arizona averages at 100F this time of year, however the canyon appears to have its own micro climate and can be snowy/rainy and ~10-20C

I'm bringing my suit with me so will get a good change to test in extreme heat as well as the potential for some rain and colder weather.

I'll post some pictures and more insight into the suit when I get back.

Happy Days
Ollie

I'm off to the US next week, (Arizona), for work and have planned a little weekend excursion:augie
I've hired a 1200GS for the weekend and plan to ride up to Sedona and the Grand Canyon:JB
Now, the weather in Arizona averages at 100F this time of year, however the canyon appears to have its own micro climate and can be snowy/rainy and ~10-20C

I'm bringing my suit with me so will get a good change to test in extreme heat as well as the potential for some rain and colder weather.

I'll post some pictures and more insight into the suit when I get back.

Happy Days
Ollie

Ollie - try and get out to Red Rock Canyon. Was riding out there last year. Very hot but amazing. Enjoy yourself. :thumb2

You lucky so and so
Not that I'm jealous or anything :augie

Good luck mate and enjoy.
Look forward to the pics.

:beerjug:
JJ

Hi Ollie,

I'm interested to hear further from you especially after your heavy rain ride if you ever get a chance to do so! I am still dithering between Pro Ralley 3 suit and ComfortShell for hot weather riding abroad. I found my Streetguard 3 excellent in everything except for hot weather riding above 30 deg C but perfect for UK climate all year round. I've just come back home from skiing in France and Streetguard 3 functioned brilliantly on ski slopes (with back protector and knee protectors removed of course!).

Mike

I have the ComfortShell jacket ( used to have a PR2 suit ) since last year ,purchased just before I went to South of France . Performance is excellent , waterproof, very well ventended ( I had 38C temperatures ) lots of protection .

Cons:under 5C I need to put on a windstopper jacket or my heated jacket, the fabric is still very stiff ( hence I am not to keen for the trousers) and was bloody expensive even after 25% discount.

ComfortShell v PR3

I have the ComfortShell jacket ( used to have a PR2 suit ) since last year ,purchased just before I went to South of France . Performance is excellent , waterproof, very well ventended ( I had 38C temperatures ) lots of protection .

Cons:under 5C I need to put on a windstopper jacket or my heated jacket, the fabric is still very stiff ( hence I am not to keen for the trousers) and was bloody expensive even after 25% discount.

Hi Zoltan, did you ever feel a bit stuffy in your ComfortShell in hot weather (38C or better)? With my Streetguard 3, I sometimes felt too hot and had to leave my jacket front zip open half way down my chest whilst riding in South France and Italy last August. I had to ride without gloves so that some air went into my arm sleeves with wrist storm cuffs folded inside.

How well did your vents on front and back work? Did the air actually go through your body considering GSA's superior front shield weather protection? And through arm sleeves with wrist velcro straps loosened?

Reason I'm more inclined towards ComfortShell than PR3 is that it is more simple, perhaps lighter and don't need goretex inserts.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Back
Top Bottom