The Loneliest Road US-50- Trip 2011 USA

pnewman

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Currently in the planning stage.

Coast to Coast West to East on US-50 through the following states 3500 miles give or take each way.....

California
Nevada
Utah
Colorado
Kansas
Missouri
Illinois
Indiana
Ohio
West Virginia
Virginia
Maryland

I'm planning on doing this trip next year , 2nd qtr of 2011 on my own currently and was wondering if any one would like to come along , only looking for 1 or 2 companions.

I want to explore old towns , faded and jaded and see some of the surviving old time places and not your commercial Wal Mart crap , Camping and Staying in low cost places , blagging some free nights with friends etc etc , It'll follow the old pony express trail on through from Sacremento up into the sierra navada down to lake tahoe and Nevada , this is known as the loneliest road , into Utah the Great Basin Desert over the Wasatch Front and onto the national park–packed red-rock country of the Colorado Plateau.

Continuing east, you cross the Continental Divide atop the Rockies, then follow the Arkansas River.

Across the Great Plains.

After bisecting Missouri from Kansas City to St. Louis, US-50 crosses the Mississippi River And head into Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio.

Climbing into the Appalachian backwoods of West Virginia, In to Washington DC , then throught to Marylands Eastern Shore for the end...

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated,

Cheers

Paul

Nothing like dredging up an old post:D

But I'm new here and just saw your post - thought I'd reply.

I've been doing cross the USA trips for years and would be glad to help you out with routes, stuff to see, etc. or in any other way ya might need a suggestion.

The Colorado to Ohio portion of the ride will bore you senselesss as it's pretty dull. Unless you're really hung up on Route 50, swinging north might be a better ride.

If you can, try to get into Tennessee, North Carolina and northern Georgia; best riding in the USA by far.

Tennessee, North Carolina and northern Georgia.I can second that.

Tennessee, North Carolina and northern Georgia.I can second that.

Yup, the area is hard to beat....

IMG_5684Large.jpg

IMG_5731Large.jpg

IMG_5735Large.jpg

IMG_5747Large.jpg

Heading down there again this coming weekend.

Western US is much more open, hotter, drier, less vegetation and less twisty roads. Different but still has to be done. Some shots from the Black Canyon area around Route 92 near Maher, Colorado...
IMG_5365Large.jpg

IMG_5366Large.jpg

IMG_5368Large.jpg

IMG_5377Large.jpg

IMG_5391Large.jpg

Route 550 between Ouray and Silverton, Colroado has to be on your "must ride" list. Knownas the Million Dollar Highway, it crosses over Red Mountain and offers a challenging ride as well as great scenery....
IMG_5321Large.jpg

IMG_5322Large.jpg

IMG_5327Large.jpg

Rode it last week and they're paving sections of it that were damaged by rock falls. Should be damned near perfect early next season...
IMG_5288Large.jpg

IMG_5301Large.jpg

Eric - what the hell are you doing in here.....? :D

And....I thought it was known as The Grand Canyon of the Black Gunnison - at least it was when we were there....:nenau

Utah is my favorite place on Earth to ride. Absolutely no traffic, people, cages, (or fuel and food stations - so watch yourself) to bother you on your ride.

Some pics...
IMG_5244Large.jpg

IMG_5254Large.jpg

IMG_9957Large.jpg

IMG_5161Large.jpg

IMG_5162Large.jpg

IMG_5184Large.jpg

Eric - what the hell are you doing in here.....? :D

And....I thought it was known as The Grand Canyon of the Black Gunnison - at least it was when we were there....:nenau

Hola Schtum! I wasn't aware of the UKGSer site untila friend told me about it. Nice site. SO I thought I'd pollute it with a few crappy pics.:D It is a pretty decent Canyon though.

Hola Schtum! I wasn't aware of the UKGSer site untila friend told me about it. Nice site. SO I thought I'd pollute it with a few crappy pics.:D It is a pretty decent Canyon though.

I see we've moved on to pics of Green River, now....:)

Any pics of The Burr Trail? We did that in an F350 camper truck. I really wanted to be on my GS....:blast

Nope- don't have any. These were from a trip last year and I was on the Pan - so we never got off of Route 92 in the black Canyon.:tears
Was in your neighborhood recently - sorry I didn't stop by and say "hello"'...
IMG_3475Large.jpg

IMG_3149Large-1.jpg

IMG_3174Large.jpg

Reviving an old thread but:

A magazine here in the States - which may also be available there -called Road Runner Motorcycle Touring and Travel has a multi-issue story on a guy crossing the USA on Route 50.

Complete with maps, loads of pictures, etc. The story stated with their December '10 issue. See: http://www.roadrunner.travel/wp/

If you can't find copies of it, I can scan it and email to you if you'd like.

Last edited:
I've only just seen your pics above, Eric. You were only about 10 miles away from me, man!

Back
Top Bottom