GPS Anti-Theft Tracker Systems

redexile

Having had my GS nicked for the second time time in 3 years, am seriously considering getting a tracker installed on the new one. They are bit pricey, but then again my insurance is now up to £450+, and I don't want to think about what it would go up to if the new one goes in the near future. Anyone got one or experienced the theft of a bike fitted with one? Do they work? All advice appreciated.

I bought one of these and yes it does work. You can also disable the engine by text message. Plus you can setup a Geo-fence so that if the vehicle moves outside the set location it will send a text message to your phone. It has a 2 or 3 hour internal battery backup if someone disconnects the main vehicle battery and it will send you a text, to let you know. You can also send a text message to it and it will reply with the current location. There is a software CD in the box with a program to install on a PC for live-time tracking.

I paid £55 for mine, but the one below is £68.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GSM-GPRS-GPS-...ics_GPSSystems_GPSSystems?hash=item335bf14ddf

Here is another (cheaper) one on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GSM-GPRS-GPS-...ics_GPSSystems_GPSSystems?hash=item4aa029d3f0

Thanks for that, that really is cheap compared to the 'bike specific' examples I looked at, and no monthly subscription. Looks quite bulky, did you manage to get yours installed ok?

Thanks for that, that really is cheap compared to the 'bike specific' examples I looked at, and no monthly subscription. Looks quite bulky, did you manage to get yours installed ok?

The unit measures 83x54x26mm but there are a lot of wires coming from it, some of which are not needed for bike specific application. Why would you want a panic button or be able to listen to audio?

There are slightly cheaper units on eBay, for personal asset tracking, but I've no experiance of these.

Maybe this is what you want:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Real-GSM-GPRS...ZViewItemQQptZGPS_Devices?hash=item4aa0216ac1

Blue sweeper; I've been thinking of getting something like this for a while. My concerns are, how accurate is the track position? If stolen, and you or police went looking could they be in an adjoining street? If the stolen bike was in a back garden or garage, would you be able to pin point it accurately to say it was in that garden or garage without sight?:nenau

Blue sweeper; I've been thinking of getting something like this for a while. My concerns are, how accurate is the track position? If stolen, and you or police went looking could they be in an adjoining street? If the stolen bike was in a back garden or garage, would you be able to pin point it accurately to say it was in that garden or garage without sight?:nenau

It's accurate to within 5 or 6 metres, but typically to about 2 or 3 depending on how many GPS signals it can receive. It's got the SIRF3 Chip set in it, so even works without clear view of the sky. The plot of land that my house sits on is 35 metres from front to back and I can tell if my unit is in the front garden or back, so you should be able to find any bike with the device attached! :thumb

does the ebay type actually get a discount with insurance companies?

Look at your problem through the other end of the telescope, perhaps?

Without the device you / plod are probably not going to come within 100 kilometers of finding your bike. Within a few meters from a GPS guidance gizzmo will seem like millimetres in comparison.

The questions to ask yourself are:

Will it stop my bike being stolen? No.

Will it replace other security? Definitely no.

Might it help to locate it if it is stolen? Maybe, yes.

Do I want / need one? Who knows.

Have sent off for one - it appears to include a way of turning off the bike's electrics and fuel pump by text message. Now that could come in handy, given how easily the 1100GS (I have one) can be hot-wired. £58, post-free, from China.

Have obtained my GPS tracker , and am now wrestling with the manual. The device needs a SIM card. In the exact words of the manual "Load a GSM SIM card into the tracker and subscribe the GPRS service". Will an ordinary pay-as-you go SIM card do this job? Have tried ringing a couple a mobile phone companies to talk to their techies, but they invariably connect me to a salesperson who appears to have no clue as to what this means. As ever, any advice gratefully received.

Have obtained my GPS tracker , and am now wrestling with the manual. The device needs a SIM card. In the exact words of the manual "Load a GSM SIM card into the tracker and subscribe the GPRS service". Will an ordinary pay-as-you go SIM card do this job? Have tried ringing a couple a mobile phone companies to talk to their techies, but they invariably connect me to a salesperson who appears to have no clue as to what this means. As ever, any advice gratefully received.

If all you want to do is find the device and not track, any SIM card will do, as all it does is send a text to your phone with the LAT/LONG and some other message in the text depending on what triggered it. In this case forget about the GPRS service.

It's a good idea to get a pay-as-you-go SIM and load it up with about £10. Make sure the credit won't be deleted if it's not used for some time though.

What you do is setup an admin number in the device, which is your own mobile phone number. Then when you phone the device, the call gets dropped after a few rings and then it will text you with the co-ordinates. If you've got a PDA or similar, there is also a website within the text of the SMS message that you can click on, then it will bring up google maps to show you the location.

Simple and neat. :thumb

thanks, that's really useful. After being bounced around by various call-centre operatives, an incredibly helpful bloke at Virgin told me something similar - apparently their pay-as-you go SIMS are G3 enabled, and so I can use it for GPRS as well. I will have to take the SIM out and make a call with it every six months, but seems a really cheap and useful bit of kit.

Back
Top Bottom