Tyre

Wapping

Reaction score
I have just downloaded Tyre to have a play around with.

Are there any specific glitches / oddities when uploading to a Garmin device?

I have spotted the 48 viapoint limit.

Many thanks

Richard

I've been playing with Tyre in the last couple of days too. I used it to convert TT itinerary files into .gpx format.

When the gpx file is opened in Mapsource you get a track log of the route, and a 'route' with all the waypoints but the route itself needs to be 'recalculated' to lock onto the roads. I had to do a bit of tweaking to get the calculated route to follow the track log.

I copied the final gpx file onto the SD card of my 550, imported the routes and all looks fine in the preview screen. The 550 did a recalc as it imported. The only PITA is that the route preview screen is plastered with brown flags showing all the waypoints.

I also imported the track logs created by Tyre in the gpx file, and interestingly these appear in the list of routes on the 550. I haven't explored yet whether they are truly routable.

Thank you Tomcat. :thumb2

I am only fooling around with the thing at the moment, mostly as some bods contact me for routes in TomTom suitable formats, when I use Mapsource.

Hi Wapping, I've recently had a chance to use the routes generated by Tyre. I was sent an .itn file which I saved as a .gpx in Tyre. Open in Mapsource and you find a route with waypoints (which has to be recalculated by Mapsource to follow the roads) and a track file (or files) which follows the roads. The track files can't be joined together by Mapsource - the option is grayed out.

Load the .gpx file onto the 550 SD card (file copy) and then let the Zumo import. The route file is fine, but has brown flags at all waypoints. The 'next turn' distance can be the distance to the next waypoint which is a minor irritation.

I also imported the Tyre tracklog file (user data, track log) into the 550 where it appears in the list of routes. Not only is it routable, it isn't plastered with waypoints :clap. So I'd be inclined in future to use the track log for this reason. One minor hiccup which I didn't resolve - on the last day the 550 froze whilst running a Tyre route from the track log. I didn't have this problem the previous day when running a "track log route" so it might just be coincidence.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom