Lean Running

jimacre

Did a 450 mile round trip from Pontypridd to Todmoreden last week and noticed that when riding at speeds 0f 90 plus for more than 3 miles the temp display would rise to 6 bars. Oil level is good. What suggestions can I offer to my dealer so that I dont look like a complete imbecile?

Mine does that....

...assumed it was due to the engine working harder, therefore a little hotter, unless anyone knows different.....

MikeO:confused:

My 2002 GS1150 normally runs on 5 Bars all the time , however last week in Europe the following variations occured -
a) Munich 75 F in rush hour traffic, in a tunnel - 8 Bars . HOT
b) On the German Autobahn @ 80 mph - 5 Bars as normal , then a massive rainstorm and slow down to 60mph and look at temp guage , now showing 1 Bar . PANIC. Look down at 'pots' and it looks like somebody is pouring continuous buckets of water over each cylinder. A-Ha , now an 'Oilhead' with involuntary watercooling.
b) Top of Glossglockner Pass, Austria (3000 m or 10,000 ft ) Sun , cloudless blue skies. Couldn't get temp guage to run at anything over 3 Bars , even though bike was working hard , with hairpin after hairpin and climb/descent.
So in my book it's best to accept a little variation - although it should run about 5 Bars in normal riding.

Mine always runs 5 bars unless I'm stuck in traffic and it'll ease up to 6 until I get moving again.
And, yeah, I've noticed in the rain oilheads will run a lot cooler. As was said, "water cooling".
:D

Lean running

I was in the Alps this summer and it was real hot most of the time.I got lost in Salzberg in Austria while looking for a Harley dealer(long story).The 1150 got so hot in traffic ,I had to pull over and stop for 10mins till she cooled down a bit.It happened on a number of occasions.
The general opinion seems to be that the 1150 runs a bit hotter than the older 1100.Its to do with the cat and BMW's neverending quest to cut emissions and noise.
A y piece and a re-map should let it run slightly cooler.

No, mine's got a Y piece.....

....I think the bike runs at the 'top end' of 5 bars and any extra work (higher speed, stuck in traffic) tends to push it up into the 6 bar area. The only time I've had more than 6 bars was when I was on the Nurburgring on a pretty hot day - even then it just went up to 7.

MikeO:)

Lean running

Mines went to 8 on a few occasions in Europe before I bottled it and turned her off.Over here,it has never risen above 6 even in traffic or at lights.

Lean Running?

Thank you for your collective wisdom thus so far.
Its just that my 1100 has only juyst started doing this during prolonged periods running at 5000- 5500 revs in top.
Iam suprised to hear of this being a feature of the 1150 when one considers the extra gear.
In summarry during my 10 months of ownership and 10000 miles of riding temperature increase has only become feature at high revs recently and I do a high speed dash up the A470 to Merthyr Tydfil and back 5 times a week and in the space of that journey the engine temp has begun to rise when I give it the bullet though I admit never more than 6.
Time for a chill pill.

If its only just started,change the oil and filter and then carefully clean the oilcooler fins fron leaves,dead wasps etc.
The ignition and injection timing,how lean or rich can also affect cooling

The big boxer is effectively an air-cooled beast despite the addition of a rad for the oil. It's bound to fluctuate in temp under different riding conditions and different ambient temperatures and atmospheric pressures. I'm amazed it's as consistently 5 or 6 bars under "normal" conditions. However, 8 bars and I'd be looking to stop and switch off or seek a convenient river crossing.

We would if we could have Simon , but in a hot 4 lane tunnel - stuck solid with traffic , with an ambient air temp of around 25c, there was no way out - just a bit of deft filtering to get onto the expressway.

Back
Top Bottom