Galway and Kerry

davyg

Reaction score
I have a friend visiting from Scotland for the NW200. On the following day we want to go South returning on Tuesday night or Wednesday morning,

I have in mind to go to Galway on Sunday and Killarney on Monday, any suggestions for routes, accomodation etc would be greatly appreciated.

I have a friend visiting from Scotland for the NW200. On the following day we want to go South returning on Tuesday night or Wednesday morning,

I have in mind to go to Galway on Sunday and Killarney on Monday, any suggestions for routes, accomodation etc would be greatly appreciated.

Davy.............. you might have better luck if you post in the Ireland section further down the page:aidan

Davy.............. you might have better luck if you post in the Ireland section further down the page:aidan

Moved for you Davy. :thumb2

I'll have a wee go at something for you later this evening. If you have a Garmin GPS I will post it on this thread for you. :)

Here are a souple of quick suggestions for you to consider Davy, but they would make for an interesting enough ride.

Portrush to Galway across country through the Sperrins and on through Fermanagh and Leitrim. Roughly 200 miles.

PtoG.jpg

Attachments

• Portrush to Galway.gdb
    120.8 KB · Views: 20
Leaving Galway and riding along the Clare coast through Lahinch and taking the Killimer to Tarbert ferry across the mouth of the Shannon. About 130 miles.

GtoK.jpg

Attachments

• Galway to Killarney.gdb
    108.7 KB · Views: 21
A blast up through the middle of the country from Killarney to Larne for your mates ferry home. Round about 290 miles.

KtoL.jpg

That should fill a couple of days for you I hope. :thumb

Edit: The last Mapsource file is too large to attach here, but I can send them all by e-mail if you need. :)

davy - that second route of aidan's via lehinch would be great. you'd love that one. check out my ride report from this weekend past and you'll see some of that route on it :thumb2

Thanks to Aidan

Thanks for the suggestions. The second one is close to what I had imagined but the first and third are different to what I would have done so thanks I'll give them all a go.

Is the Ring of Kerry worth a look?

Is the Ring of Kerry worth a look?

It is, if you have the time. I can't remember which way the tour buses go, clockwise or anti, but it is better to be meeting them rather than trying to pass them. GerryC or some of the local lads there will confirm their direction of travel.

There are some gems near Killarney too, like the Gap of Dunloe and Ballaghabeama Gap. A run over to the Priests Leap and Barley Lake would also be worthwhile.

Attachments

• Priests Leap.gdb
    164 bytes · Views: 20
  • Barley Lake.gdb
    174 bytes · Views: 22
GerryC or some of the local lads there will confirm their direction of travel.

There are some gems near Killarney too, like the Gap of Dunloe and Ballaghabeama Gap. A run over to the Priests Leap and Barley Lake would also be worthwhile.

The buses go anti clockwise so clockwise is yer maun. There are nice bits on the ring of Kerry but frankly there are nicer less crowded bits on the ring of Beara and nicer but occasionally crowded spots on the Dingle peninsula. Ballaghabema & the Priest's leap as you suggest are the "real deal"

Aidan,

Me and a friend are planning on coming across to Ireland at the start of Aug Fri to Tues via the Larne ferry if you could e-mail me the routes mentioned below that would be great !!;)

Or if anyone has anyother suggestions :augie

Looking at doing a run hugging the West coast run down the country then back up more central country as per your maps below

Any info on biker friendly B+B 's along the route would be would also be appreciated:aidan

Cheers

Phil

Drop me a PM Phil with your details and I will put a few routes together for you tonight. :thumb2

The buses go anti clockwise so clockwise is yer maun. There are nice bits on the ring of Kerry but frankly there are nicer less crowded bits on the ring of Beara and nicer but occasionally crowded spots on the Dingle peninsula. Ballaghabema & the Priest's leap as you suggest are the "real deal"

Well said that man, funnily enough I met Pablo666 in the bar last night as I gave him a route for the South West, I missed out the RoK completely this morning he has the Healey Pass, Gap of Dunloe and then off to Dingle...

I am happy to post up a few Mapsource files for the South West also, I suppose there is a sticky somewhere?

Back
Top Bottom