Driving Speeds

ballistic

I ain't got no stinkin' visa!
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
In MapSource, you can alter the default driving speeds.
Is there any way of doing this on the 660? :nenau
When the 660 imports a route from MapSource, and re-calculates it, the route timings are different to that calculated in MapSource... the non-default speed settings don't seem to be included in the data sent to the 660.

Any assistance will be much appreciated and rewarded with beer... providing you're in The Star Inn, Tallybont-on-Usk tomorrow night :D

I wondered about this, but I don't think you can change them.

I think you're supposed to adjust you riding style to Garmin, rather than vice versa:D

So that....

Bugger :mad: What's the point of being able to change the default values in MapSource then?

the software can work out an estimated time it would take for you to complete your route, where as the GPS in conjunction with the satelites work out the time to complete your route by the actual speed you are moving across the ground.

So setting speeds in your GPS would be of no use to the system what so ever.....:D

the software can work out an estimated time it would take for you to complete your route, where as the GPS in conjunction with the satelites work out the time to complete your route by the actual speed you are moving across the ground.

OK, I think I see where you're coming from... the actual "Arrival Time" displayed on the 660 will adjust according to your progress along the designated route, but, it has to assume certain speeds to calculate this figure in the first place. If these speeds are not obtained from the route which you have downloaded from MapSource, then they must be built into the 660... and they may not be the speeds at which you wish to travel, in which case, the 660 will give a false estimation of the "Arrival Time" which, of course, corrects itself the nearer you get to the end of your route. That's no good if you want to know your estimated arrival time when you're near the beginning of the route... even I could give you an accurate estimation of arrival time if there was only 1 mile left to go :nenau

I think stolzy may be correct... you have to ride "Garmin Style" :blast

Yes it seems....

OK, I think I see where you're coming from... the actual "Arrival Time" displayed on the 660 will adjust according to your progress along the designated route, but, it has to assume certain speeds to calculate this figure in the first place. If these speeds are not obtained from the route which you have downloaded from MapSource, then they must be built into the 660... and they may not be the speeds at which you wish to travel, in which case, the 660 will give a false estimation of the "Arrival Time" which, of course, corrects itself the nearer you get to the end of your route. That's no good if you want to know your estimated arrival time when you're near the beginning of the route... even I could give you an accurate estimation of arrival time if there was only 1 mile left to go :nenau

I think stolzy may be correct... you have to ride "Garmin Style" :blast

that, after a bit of research, not sure of the accuracy of this, but the GPS uses the default settings as used by the Mapsource software for its initial calculation then adjusts according to your actaul speed when you start moving.....:D So when you start moving your ETA will be pretty accurate..

the GPS uses the default settings as used by the Mapsource software for its initial calculation then adjusts according to your actaul speed when you start moving.....:D So when you start moving your ETA will be pretty accurate..

Yes.. it uses the default settings, and herein lies the problem...
Over the last 15 years, or so, I have ridden with a couple of Tossers off this forum and have become accostomed to their riding stlye, and vice versa. It just so happens that the standard speed settings in MapSource (and the StreetPilot III, 2720, and now 660) matched our riding speeds perfectly... so no problems.
On a recent trip to the Czech republic, I was travelling with a couple of "new" companions, and it transpired that our pace was quite a bit less than I was used to. The planned ETAs turned out to be "a little optomistic" to say the least. The routes that, previously, I would have expected to take 8-hours turned out to be nearer 10 or 11 hours, due to the slower pace.
So... adjusting the speeds in MapSource to take this into account, gives routes of, say, 8-hours duration. When recalculated by the 660, it reduces the exact same route to 6-hours duration, which then takes 8-hours... annoying :mad:

I see...

what you mean, just compared a route on my Mapsource and GPS, the time was 3hrs 5minutes on Mapsource and 2hrs 39 minutes on the GPS, that was using default settings.

In my experience the 550 consistently underestimates the duration of the trip. Adjusting the speeds in Mapsource doesn't seem to help.

For reasons I don't understand the arrival times in my 2610 seemed to be spot on most of the time

I would love to adjust the speed. Its fine when it's used on the bike but I really like to know how long a journey would take when my speed is limited to 50 (ish) mph when towing 3 tons on the trailer. That way i could leave and arrive at the corrected times rather than having to guess (badly):nenau

In my experience the 550 consistently underestimates the duration of the trip. Adjusting the speeds in Mapsource doesn't seem to help.

For reasons I don't understand the arrival times in my 2610 seemed to be spot on most of the time

That's cos your 2610 is cleverer than he 550, believe it or not. There was a thead on this on the Zumo forums.

The 2610 "learns" your driving style, so the longer you own/use it, the more accurate it is in calculating arrival times and quickest routes, based on the speeds you ride/drive at on known classes of roads, ie you always do 80mph on motorways (hypothetically officer :augie)

The 550 on the other hand :)mad:) bases all its' calculations on road speed limits and assumes you drive at those speeds when on those roads, ie 30mph on surburban roads, 70mph on motorways, etc etc.

I regularly drive from the bottom of the M40 to near Junc 8 of the M27. 'Cos it's at oh-dark hundred, I also go at captain slow speed with cruise control on. At the start the 550 tells me it'll take 1hr 10mins. Yet having done the journey literally hundreds of times, I know it takes 1hr 36min minimum.......

This, and the removal of the pop up screen for next turn are the two biggest annoyances I have with the 550 - they dumbed the unit down, but I reckon the ability to have it do it is still there.

Anyone know if the 660 does this too?

Back
Top Bottom