CRD exhaust is too loud - do / should they have a baffle?

squid

Reaction score
Have a CRD exhaust but I don't like how loud it is. Wondering if the stuffing has gone or if a baffle can be added?

Know little about these, are they supposed to make the bike faster or something:blast:D

I see the end section is riveted on so could be removed to check inside.

It looks good quality and very neat so would like to keep it on if possible.

Have a CRD exhaust but I don't like how loud it is. Wondering if the stuffing has gone or if a baffle can be added?

Know little about these, are they supposed to make the bike faster or something:blast:D

I see the end section is riveted on so could be removed to check inside.

It looks good quality and very neat so would like to keep it on if possible.

I had a CRD can on my old DRZ, and i don't think it was offensively loud. It was certainly quieter than the original can that the "E" model came with.

There are aftermarket baffles available if you don't fancy stripping your can- a company called dirt dawg make these cnc'd inserts which are really easy to fit- and cost about £30. I've got a spare one here if your interested??

Nathan

I had a CRD can on my old DRZ, and i don't think it was offensively loud. It was certainly quieter than the original can that the "E" model came with.

There are aftermarket baffles available if you don't fancy stripping your can- a company called dirt dawg make these cnc'd inserts which are really easy to fit- and cost about £30. I've got a spare one here if your interested??

Nathan

Thanks, so if this one is loud could it be the existing material has blown out or did the never have any?

If you have something that will do the job I'm interested:thumb

So how does the insert work? Do you take the end cap off and slide it in?

did you sort this out? I have a very good universal fit db insert in my RACE (loud as fook) Akrapovic TI on my DRZ400S...it makes a massive difference to the noise but no difference to the power or running at all revs and throttle position

noise (or lack of) is very important when I use it for work...hitting the button at 06:20 it has to be quiet :)

Run it with the standard E exhuast for a while and you'll appreciate the relative peace of the CRD system, If I recall correctly, the CRD system was designed to keep it Enduro Legal noise wise.

Shep

Run it with the standard E exhuast for a while and you'll appreciate the relative peace of the CRD system, If I recall correctly, the CRD system was designed to keep it Enduro Legal noise wise.

Shep

Shep there are two CRD systems for the DRZ...one (CRD Absolute Performance) is Enduro legal the other isn't (CRD Absolute power is the noisy one)

racespec catalogue said:
the absolute power system give 5-10% power increase at the rear wheel.
this system is designed more for trail riding and not recommended for enduros. 179.95 pounds

the absolute performance elliptic system complies with enduro noise regulations and has been specially designed to do so with a sonometer reading of 91 decibels and a 10% power increase at the rear wheel this system is designed with compition in mind.

255.95 pounds

Squid may well have the noisy one :nenau

Thanks, so if this one is loud could it be the existing material has blown out or did the never have any?

If you have something that will do the job I'm interested:thumb

So how does the insert work? Do you take the end cap off and slide it in?

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/394/187/Motorcycle-Article/dB-Dawg.aspx

This is what it looks like, basically it slides in the end of your can (no drilling rivets out or anything like that), and tightens up with 2 grubs screws with the allen key supplied.

Just measure the internal diameter of the pipe.

The insert i've got is the smallest one they supply, and will do pipes from 28mm to around 34mm IIRC. Actually, the insert i have is slightly different. It needs to be screwed/rivetted into the end of the can.

Yours for £20 if it's any use?? (it is as new and never been fitted)

Nathan

I should add i've got one of these on my TC610 husky, and it certainly makes the can more bearable....

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/394/187/Motorcycle-Article/dB-Dawg.aspx

This is what it looks like, basically it slides in the end of your can (no drilling rivets out or anything like that), and tightens up with 2 grubs screws with the allen key supplied.

Just measure the internal diameter of the pipe.

The insert i've got is the smallest one they supply, and will do pipes from 28mm to around 34mm IIRC. Actually, the insert i have is slightly different. It needs to be screwed/rivetted into the end of the can.

Yours for £20 if it's any use?? (it is as new and never been fitted)

Nathan

Thanks for the info all, I don't have the original exhaust so can't compare. How are the CRD exhausts marked? Although not stupid loud it is loud enough to hack off people in the countryside.

Nathan, I'll measure the internal diameter of the tail pipe? So if its between these measurements your bit will fit by the sounds of it.

Rob

this is what I have in my Akrapovic

http://www.dirtwerkz.com/Pages/products/exhaust/dB_Dawg.html

db-Dawg_Black_450.jpg

How did you get on Rob? Did the insert work?:nenau

I'd guess so :nenau

without my DB DAWG fitted my DRZ could wake the dead even on tick-over, yet with it fitted mine is quiet enough for the 06:20 ride through my village without disturbing anyone (the shepherds Quad is a lot louder)

so YES they really do make a lot of difference without having any effect on the power delivery

Just caught up with this thread......

My old DRZ came with a CRD (dunno which model) / power bomb combo and despite me re-packing it it was way too loud for green lanning.

Put a db killer in it and whilst better, still too loud..........

I actaully ended up getting an 'E' silencer and bunging the db killer in that - worked a treat and no loss of power over the CRD :thumb2

Great little things those db killers which remeinds me, I need to get one for my Husky as the standard can on that is just a wee bit loud for lanning :)

Andres

Sorry, missed the replies. The DB killer didn't work so well on the CRD I have. The inside narrow tube of the can goes way back befoe opening up and the opening is very shaped on the CRD so the killer didn't really fit well.

I'd have prefered to keep the exhaust on as its a solid bit of kit. Any other ideas?

Back
Top Bottom