London to Asia

jtw000

Reaction score
I've been made redundant and now given two months notice to quit on my flat so I figure it's time for an epic trip away from this awful country that is the only one in the world that manages to rot the front of 1200gs engines. I've wanted to see some of the world for a long time so I figure this is an ideal opportunity. I want to go to Asia, I've not decided on a route yet, dates or anything else and I've not even got my bike equipped yet.
Anyone up for a trip over to Asia? I don't want to over plan it and I'm trying to stick to simple countires that don't need too much in the way of visa restrictions. I'm aiming for around a month to get to SE Asia and then about 6 months of leisurely touring but it's very flexible. Anyone up for joining or advice then please jump in.
Please, no negative comments about how all this is impossible, just welcoming anything constructive.

Ahemm... Stiffling a chuckle I'll try and answer as constructively as i can...

If you want to avoid Visas I'm afraid you are in for a bit of a tough time...
- Heading East through Europe you come to a very big country called Russia - Visa needed.

- So let's go another way. Through to Turkey. So far so good... Then we come to Iran. Blast. Visa needed.

- Third time lucky eh ? Let's avoid Iran and chance our luck through Georgia. So far so good. Then where ? Azerbaijan ? Bugger. Visa needed.

And unfortunately for every country after each of those first countries requiring a visa there are a raft of other ones !!

After Russia you will find Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan and Mongolia all need visas... You could stay in Russia all the way to Vladivostok and take the ferry from Zarubinho to South Korea perhaps to limit the number of visas needed ?

So let's explore the Middle east route. After Azerbaijan you will find Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan again - oh and Afghanistan or China !!

The other option could be to go down through Africa and ship the bike and yourself to India or direct to Asia. But then you'd be into Visas and carnets...

So perhaps the Russia route looks favourite... But as for getting there in a month !! Who do you think you are ? Nick Sanders ?

Unless you are Nick Sanders it will probably take you a week to 10 days to get to Moscow or Volgograd... And across Russia, even though the trans Siberian Highway isn't as bad as it once was, it will take you a couple of weeks minimum to get to Irkutsk...

Then you have to deal with the stretch to Khabarovsk from Ulan Ude. and on to Vladivostok...

All of which are tough, grueling roads.

have a look at Timolgra's heavy metal around Mongolia thread to see what the thrash to Irkutsk looks like...

have a look at scottsvisas.co.uk to find out about visas...

And you will have to be canny and crafty to avoid a carnet... But it can be done...

All in all I'd get a map out and see where you think you want to go and by which route... And then understand it is going to be quite a rigorous exercise just planning it...

have a look at Horizons Unlimited and then you might grasp the enormity...

The planning is fun. The paper chase is a pain - but unavoidable... But as to doing it in a month i think you need to think again sadly...

Good luck...

Can I laugh now yet ? :augie

Ahemm... Stiffling a chuckle I'll try and answer as constructively as i can...

If you want to avoid Visas I'm afraid you are in for a bit of a tough time...
- Heading East through Europe you come to a very big country called Russia - Visa needed.

- So let's go another way. Through to Turkey. So far so good... Then we come to Iran. Blast. Visa needed.

- Third time lucky eh ? Let's avoid Iran and chance our luck through Georgia. So far so good. Then where ? Azerbaijan ? Bugger. Visa needed.

And unfortunately for every country after each of those first countries requiring a visa there are a raft of other ones !!

After Russia you will find Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan and Mongolia all need visas... You could stay in Russia all the way to Vladivostok and take the ferry from Zarubinho to South Korea perhaps to limit the number of visas needed ?

So let's explore the Middle east route. After Azerbaijan you will find Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan again - oh and Afghanistan or China !!

The other option could be to go down through Africa and ship the bike and yourself to India or direct to Asia. But then you'd be into Visas and carnets...

So perhaps the Russia route looks favourite... But as for getting there in a month !! Who do you think you are ? Nick Sanders ?

Unless you are Nick Sanders it will probably take you a week to 10 days to get to Moscow or Volgograd... And across Russia, even though the trans Siberian Highway isn't as bad as it once was, it will take you a couple of weeks minimum to get to Irkutsk...

Then you have to deal with the stretch to Khabarovsk from Ulan Ude. and on to Vladivostok...

All of which are tough, grueling roads.

have a look at Timolgra's heavy metal around Mongolia thread to see what the thrash to Irkutsk looks like...

have a look at scottsvisas.co.uk to find out about visas...

And you will have to be canny and crafty to avoid a carnet... But it can be done...

All in all I'd get a map out and see where you think you want to go and by which route... And then understand it is going to be quite a rigorous exercise just planning it...

have a look at Horizons Unlimited and then you might grasp the enormity...

The planning is fun. The paper chase is a pain - but unavoidable... But as to doing it in a month i think you need to think again sadly...

Good luck...

Can I laugh now yet ? :augie

ffs talk about pissing on a guys chips.....jtwooo go for it mate.look forward to reading of your adventure.

...I figure it's time for an epic trip away from this awful country...

Sounds fantastic, wish I could go too :D

I'm sure the plans will refine themselves, the Visas may be a hassle but will of course be necessary.

Good Luck and write a great RR :thumb2

ffs talk about pissing on a guys chips.....jtwooo go for it mate.look forward to reading of your adventure.

He asked for constructive advice - and i gave it - and you gave him...???

People need to get real...

If you are going to ride your bike to Tesco.. Just go for it...

If you are going to ride your bike to SE Asia you need to start with a clear view of what lies ahead and a plan...

Saying "just go for it" is real dream land... :blast

If you are going to ride your bike to SE Asia you need to start with a clear view of what lies ahead and a plan...

In all truth i think your post was constructive, but tinged with a bit of sarcasm that probably wasnt your intention, but it was how it read, good advice but could of been kinder put :thumb2

In all truth i think your post was constructive, but tinged with a bit of sarcasm that probably wasnt your intention, but it was how it read, good advice but could of been kinder put :thumb2

That's exactly how it was meant... FFS London to SE Asia in a month...!! :blast

Well he sounded like a guy thinking out loud and chearing himself up while having a shit time, does it matter if he goes or doesnt, i dont think so, sometimes a bit of escapism is good for the soul, and you never know he might pull it off, if he does then he has my best wishes if he desnt he also has my best wishes, not the sarcastic put down that who knows benefits from.

Well he sounded like a guy thinking out loud and chearing himself up while having a shit time, does it matter if he goes or doesnt, i dont think so, sometimes a bit of escapism is good for the soul, and you never know he might pull it off, if he does then he has my best wishes if he desnt he also has my best wishes, not the sarcastic put down that who knows benefits from.

I think it far better to be realistic...

There was lots of info in that post if he cared to read it..

Far more than anyone else... If he cares to follow the advice he could get a realistic picture of how to make a success of it...

If he follows everyone else's he won't have a snowball's chance of fulfilling the dream...

his choice - a lighthearted poke that nudges him in the right direction or everyone else's naive platitudes...

i know what i'd want - realistic and first hand experiences rather than cheery back slapping...

I'm sure the plans will refine themselves, the Visas may be a hassle but will of course be necessary.

Good Luck and write a great RR :thumb2

Yes, Of course the plans will refine themselves :blast Why didn't I think of that?
Self refining plans, much easier than sitting down and calculating fuel costs per country travelled through, viability of selected (pin tail on donkey type) border crossings, Visa and LOI costs (with handling fee could be around £1600) Freight costs (unless planning to ride back afterwards, and daily expenses....

Oh, and on top, a contingency fund, Insurance, and all the other bollox, that will, (as I've just found out) will refine itself.:thumb

I agree with srace, tell it like it is...

Mind you, maybe the OP is Ewan in disguise :flag

I think it far better to be realistic...

There was lots of info in that post if he cared to read it..

Far more than anyone else... If he cares to follow the advice he could get a realistic picture of how to make a success of it...

If he follows everyone else's he won't have a snowball's chance of fulfilling the dream...

his choice - a lighthearted poke that nudges him in the right direction or everyone else's naive platitudes...

i know what i'd want - realistic and first hand experiences rather than cheery back slapping...

There's some good advice in your post. Thank you srace7, that'll come in handy for anybody wanting information in the future.

No, I'm definately going and people like Srace7 are largely the reason.

Read his post again, that is some serious sound advice there :thumb2

I'll wish you luck all the same.

No, I'm definately going and people like Srace7 are largely the reason.

Good luck dude:clap:clap you have the dream...:thumb:thumb:thumb
Listen to srace he knows his stuff by all accounts .. Sounds a great trip with lots of:type involved but doable dude..
Best of luck every thing is DOABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!
:rob :beerjug:

Tiffany told me every bloke he met said something similar to her years back when she just passed her test and aimed for India. I doubt none of those people that told her she was going to fail had gone further than tescos.

She not only made India .. she eventually got to Australia.

To the fella asking the question .. ask someone like Tiffany Coates and just f**king do it.:thumb2

Tiffany told me every bloke he met said something similar to her years back when she just passed her test and aimed for India. I doubt none of those people that told her she was going to fail had gone further than tescos.

She not only made India .. she eventually got to Australia.

To the fella asking the question .. ask someone like Tiffany Coates and just f**king do it.:thumb2

That's a sound piece of advice Tom... Just do it and get a bloody great surprise when you find yourself at a border where you need a visa and you can't buy one at the border... :augie

Or that you haven't contemplated how you are gonna get the bike back once you have got to SE Asia... :blast

You'll find even Tiff had some semblance of plan and understanding of what lay ahead...

No matter how detailed you make it the old adage is true: "fail to plan...plan to fail"...

And if you read my post properly I didn't say he was going to fail... What the posts all say is that an understanding of what lay ahead would stand him in better stead than setting off unprepared...

That's a sound piece of advice Tom... Just do it and get a bloody great surprise when you find yourself at a border where you need a visa and you can't buy one at the border... :augie

Or that you haven't contemplated how you are gonna get the bike back once you have got to SE Asia... :blast

You'll find even Tiff had some semblance of plan and understanding of what lay ahead...

No matter how detailed you make it the old adage is true: "fail to plan...plan to fail"...

And if you read my post properly I didn't say he was going to fail... What the posts all say is that an understanding of what lay ahead would stand him in better stead than setting off unprepared...

Snoopy is still alive :rob

most border people are alright and will tell you where you can get a visa...:thumb2

get amongst it, who knows what can happen tomorrow....:augie

Back
Top Bottom