Old Reactors, Lava Flows and a Spotted Horse...

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
9th June

Today I’m going to ride over to Boise, Idaho, to visit Jay (Sasquatch) who I met at Lake Tahoe a few weeks ago. The weather is clear when I pack the bike although there’s the threat of rain later. Being the eternal optimist, I don’t put on my Gore-Tex trousers, but keep wearing my armoured jeans.

I intend to take in a couple of sights that Jay has recommended, so start towards Fort Hall, before turning left at Blackfoot towards Arco. I’ve been to Arco once before. Now there's a sentence most people don't want to write…

On the way, I’m intrigued by a sign advertising the ‘EBR-1’.

5032282-L.jpg

EBR 1 was, apparently, the first nuclear power plant. It’s now open to the public as an exhibit…

5032283-L.jpg

…and, along with a couple of Heat Transfer Experimental Reactors, is a National Monument. I took the pictures from outside. When it comes to containment of nuclear material, I have a guideline that newer is better. Actually, it’s more of a rule than a guideline. Actually it’s an absolute rule.

I carry on a couple of miles until I get to Craters of the Moon National Monument.

5032425-L.jpg

…which is a large area (75 sq miles) of lava flows – not from a single volcano, but rather from large rents in the earth…

5032426-L.jpg

…which leaves the landscape looking either like a recently dug-over garden…

5032424-L.jpg

…or like a sea of black sand – this dune had a light dusting of spring flowers.

To be honest – it’s all a bit underwhelming. Maybe I’ve been spoilt at Bryce, Zion and the Grand Canyon, but, frankly, when you’ve seen one lava flow, you’ve seen them all…

I ride on…

5032277-L.jpg

…past the Snake River at Hagerman, searching in vain for an area called 1000 springs. Eventually I give up and, passing a horse with probably the most striking markings I’ve ever seen…

5032278-L.jpg

...as the threatened rain appears on the horizon…

5032279-L.jpg

...I stop for one last time at Bruneau Dunes State Park…

5032280-L.jpg

…which has some very large, erm, dunes.

Unbeknown to me at the time, I accidentally return my sheepskin seat cover to the wild. It’s probably for the best, before it got completely domesticated. Can you see where it is yet?

I set towards Boise on the Freeway. I make best speed, running ahead of the storm, arriving at Jay & Kimberly’s beautiful house at about 1645. I like their front doormat…:D

5032281-L.jpg

Unfortunately (for them), I’m clean out of vintage wine. Jay supplies me with a brown ale, brewed in Montana, called Moose Drool :D We have some splendid steaks and, Jay’s invention, Cauliflower mash – apparently it’s part of the Atkin’s diet – he can’t eat spuds, so has this instead – it’s great!

We spend a calm, relaxed evening planning a route for me over the next couple of days, whilst my laundry gets done and I’m investigated by Portia and Mocha, the two, very friendly, house cats. I retire early (I’m in bed by 2200 and go straight to sleep). Tomorrow we have an early start…

5032284-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom