950 Adventure - mileage question

Gadge

Hi folks..

Am in the market for a 950 Adventure and have seen a 55 plate one for £5k that looks in great condition, but has what seems to be really high mileage... 42,000 to be precise...

Has full KTM service history and comes with goodies like H&B cases, bars, scotoiler etc.. but not having owned one before (just sold my F650GS) I was wondering if the mileage should be a major concern?

Obviously I understand it will come down to a certain extent to price but what's the collective thought on this sort of mileage? I am letting myself in for a world of expensive very soon, or with a full history etc, should I expect plenty of life yet?:nenau

I'd expect to do around 4K/year and will probably hang on to it for at least a couple of years..

any thoughts/comments appreciated!

To much

Thats to much money imho,my other halfs brother just got an 04 with 16000 up for £4900 and that was from a dealer,so id steer clear if it was my money.As far as high mileage goes there fantastic quality bikes so as long as the service history is spot on and the weak spots have been addressed shouldnt be a problem. HTH

Cheers.. you were right!

Binned the idea of it and instead, just got myself a spanking 2007 990 Adv with 17K miles and a ton of goodies on, for £5200..

:bounce1:bounce1

Gone back

Well iv just gone back to a GS,my 990 was a holigan tool and to be honest her indoors was'nt mega happy on the back,she said there was'nt as much room as my old 1150gsa,i spent much wonga sorting the jerky throttle,but although the build quality imho is better than the 1200GSA i have now,the katoom for me just isnt a big mile eater,i dont get to ride often enough but when i do i always do 200 odd miler days and the fuel range and comfort are issues for me,also as Chad pointed out,although not a major problem for me cause i dont use my bike everyday,the service intervals are close and they are for sure much more like a fit girlie,they are high maintainance.I know the BMs have issues but they still for me are a much more reliable option in the sense that there simple to work on relative to the KTM,i mean an oil change on the 990 takes an age and a fair bit of skill,come to think of it so does just checking the oil.Both great bikes if i was loaded id have both but for long days and the yearly raid into europe the GSA1200 is my weapon of choice.

So Cherokee - if you were to do it again, would you have gone for a 950 for the carbs rather than the 990 FI? have been looking at a 2009 990, but maybe I should look for a 950 instead - cheaper and better fuelling?

So Cherokee - if you were to do it again, would you have gone for a 950 for the carbs rather than the 990 FI? have been looking at a 2009 990, but maybe I should look for a 950 instead - cheaper and better fuelling?

The 950 is no doubt smoother,a real peach of an engine.I tested a 990 before buying my 950.
I was lucky enough to get a very good low mileage one.If however a good 950 wasn't available i would have no hesitation buying a 990 now.These bikes i think give you the best of both worlds,they are very comfortable once you change the seat,and are also as sporty and fun on the road as you want.

The 950 is no doubt smoother,a real peach of an engine.I tested a 990 before buying my 950.
I was lucky enough to get a very good low mileage one.If however a good 950 wasn't available i would have no hesitation buying a 990 now.These bikes i think give you the best of both worlds,they are very comfortable once you change the seat,and are also as sporty and fun on the road as you want.

I agree the 990 is my weapon of choice. Once you change the seat (I bought a Renaczo seat for mine) and the wife is very happy. The 09 bikes you can modifying the fuelling using the XC-1 diagnostic box. Sadly doesn't work on the 08 bikes but the with G2 400 cam and the 15 minute idle trick it works for me. I guess I have got used it as well

Ive just gone in the opposite direction to cherokee, had a 1200GS SE and just bought a 950 Adventure. Whilst I agree with the majority of what has been said, what does fo rme is the pure grin factor of the Katoom compared to the BM. I realise that is something personal and suspect in my case is also a reaction to having spent the last 10 years on BM's, everything from R80GS Basic thru 1150GS, R1100S, R1150RT, F800GS and the 1200GS SE, but for me the 950adventure has rekindled the joy of motorcycling. It just feels so much lighter and more responsive and whilst the BM does everything in that usual efficient way we have come to expect , for me it has somehow detracted from the emotive enjoyment of riding a bike. The KTM feels as though it allows much more rider involvement, the brakes have much more feel and the weight and balance of the bike encourage what some might descibe as "hooning"! To be fair I havent done any long journeys yet on the KTM but have found it perfectly comfortable on a run of 120 miles. Obviously you do notice the difference in fuel range, my reserve light normally come on at around 150 miles, but the fabulous sound of that v twin more than makes up for that. As they say you pays your money..........

Ive just gone in the opposite direction to cherokee, had a 1200GS SE and just bought a 950 Adventure. Whilst I agree with the majority of what has been said, what does fo rme is the pure grin factor of the Katoom compared to the BM. I realise that is something personal and suspect in my case is also a reaction to having spent the last 10 years on BM's, everything from R80GS Basic thru 1150GS, R1100S, R1150RT, F800GS and the 1200GS SE, but for me the 950adventure has rekindled the joy of motorcycling. It just feels so much lighter and more responsive and whilst the BM does everything in that usual efficient way we have come to expect , for me it has somehow detracted from the emotive enjoyment of riding a bike. The KTM feels as though it allows much more rider involvement, the brakes have much more feel and the weight and balance of the bike encourage what some might descibe as "hooning"! To be fair I havent done any long journeys yet on the KTM but have found it perfectly comfortable on a run of 120 miles. Obviously you do notice the difference in fuel range, my reserve light normally come on at around 150 miles, but the fabulous sound of that v twin more than makes up for that. As they say you pays your money..........

:thumb Had my 2004, 950 Adventure as main bike for 5 years now. Best bike l have ever owned, brilliant bikers bike (would like a Renaczo seat though).

:thumb Had my 2004, 950 Adventure as main bike for 5 years now. Best bike l have ever owned, brilliant bikers bike (would like a Renaczo seat though).

am really temped to get one now coming form a 1200gsa, i think i might look for a 950 and have a nose around see whats out there

950,990?

I think if i was going KTM again id try and find a mint 950,or a 990 that has been sorted,they are both great bikes but having the advantage of doing miles on both(other halfs bruv has the 950) the fiddy is defo a smother ride.As Ped says though they are a massive gin maker and you do find yourself tooling around like a loon just to hear the Motor.Just for me though the BM wins it for mileage comfort and less fuel stops,but whicherver one you choose you wont be dissapointed..........

I think if i was going KTM again id try and find a mint 950,or a 990 that has been sorted,they are both great bikes but having the advantage of doing miles on both(other halfs bruv has the 950) the fiddy is defo a smother ride.As Ped says though they are a massive gin maker and you do find yourself tooling around like a loon just to hear the Motor.Just for me though the BM wins it for mileage comfort and less fuel stops,but whicherver one you choose you wont be dissapointed..........

well thats the think if you are touring and mile crunching the bm in my mind would win. but i rarely do 100 miles on average a trip (the longest ive been on is to wales :)) but i like to do b roads and the twisties with maybe some light lanes involved aswell....

but i would like to go somewhere out of the uk this year or next (most realistic) but to somewhere hot (dessert :):comfort:augie) but not alown obviously

abit off topic but whats the pros and cons of a ktm 950 or 990 adventure against say a bmw 1200gsa???? :augie:augie:thumb2:thumb2

Whilst I think there's probably truth in the above comments re: fueling, long distance comfort etc.. for me, there was one main 'pro' of the 990Adv over the GSA... cost!!!

I got fully kitted 2007 990Adv, on 17Kmiles for less than I could find a completely standard 1200GS of almost any age or mileage (save a few '04/05 50K+ miles examples..).. a 1200GSA was never even on the financial radar!

My first excursion in derbyshire last weekend (including stanage edge) has done nothing to make me regret the decision! :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom