I hate this 660 mounting cradle!

stabtherasher

Reaction score
Is it just me or does anybody else out there hate the 660 mounting cradle????

All those bloody cables.

When I had a 550 things were much simpler.

I used a short Powerlet cable to connect to my on second on-board socket at the side of my tank on my 1200 GSA and when I wanted to remove the thing all I had to do was release the ram mount, unplug from the socket and voila everything was safe and secure in my posesssion away from the bike.

Why was Garmin so concerned with all of those bloody cables and with hard wiring the thing into the main harness. Now I have a permanent mount that I live in fear of being damaged or stolen, lots of cable ties and lots of additional redundant cable.

The mount provided for car use comes closest to my 550 solution but cannot be mounted on a bike.

Does anybody know anybody who can come up with a decent removable mounting system for the 660 along the lines described?

I see that Touratech have come up with what may look like a partial solution but only by cannibalising the cables (see their UK webshop article number 01-065-114-0). I wonder could that be connected to a bmw type plug that would go into my on board power socket?

Or is just me????

:rob

Where is the problem. On my 550 I had mic and speaker cables on one side, power on the other plus a usb for my traffic add on. All had to be routed along the bars and under the tank.

Now I have a 660 which has ONE cable to route under the tank and then I have short cables going to Autocom, etc. The plug sockets now being where I can keep the damp away rather than being on the bars.

I can't see many people being bothered about nicking the the bike mount when to do so they would have to take the tank off and cut off loads of cable ties - or they could just cut the cable at the mount and get a useless mount. Life's to short to worry about thieves with tools being prepared to steal low value limited use kit. I have never bothered to remove the satnav mount for my 660 or other satnavs (2720, 550, GPSMAP60 and 2 X horrible Tomtom Riders).

Garmin zumo mount

Love mine, puts the headphone and mike socket exactly where i want it, without having to use extension leads.

Its also more waterproof.

Only pain is trying to thread through a small hole as its a bit bulky.

Back
Top Bottom