Question from a new guy

Flyer

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm relatively new to biking (passed a DAS course in June) apart from owning a Triumph Tigress 250 scooter as a lad - a very long time ago.

Knowing very little about bikes, I had to decide what steed to buy as my first foray into 2-wheeled ownership. I didn't want an out-and-out sports bike (I'm to old, and not that shape any more (!), and I didn't want a tourer (not old enough yet for the pipe and slippers).

So I bought a Honda VFR; an immaculate 'R' reg one. A versatile all-rounder. It's fast, handles well, is comfortable, not expensive, looks good, and is very well made. But it's a bit, umm, 'uninvolving'. On a ride-out in the Peak on Sunday I met a guy with a GS. He used to own a VFR and had found the same as me - an excellent bike, but a bit bland and characterless. Not so his BM, he said.

So is the GS really that different? Does it have loads of character? Is it worth all that money (it would probably cost me at least 4K to trade up - to a bike that's technically inferior)?

Comments please!

Flyer

All I can suggest is get down to your local BMW shop, look interested and blag a nice long test ride.

Once you get the grin off your face, then you can make a decision!
:D :rolleyes: :D

Iain

Technically Inferior!!! People have been shot for saying less.

Seriously the GS are great bikes. On paper they look lame when compared to most Japanese bikes but on the road they will more than hold their own against virtually anything and on top of that you can tour, commute and if your very brave Chuck them through some mud.

If you look around the Board you will see a very broad spectrum of bike riders, many who ride Japanese sports machines as well, who hold the GS's in very high regard.

If you are thinking of trying a GS ask a local dealer for a test ride. You will not be dissapointed.

Cheers

Rob

Also new to the GS thing: I'm taking one out for a test ride next week. I have a Triumph Speed Triple at present, but have always hade a spoft spot for the Beemer. I'm really looking forward to it, and don't think that I will take much convincing.
:)

A test ride is the most important thing. A decent dealer will let you have the bike for at least 4 hours and will only ask you to sign a thing for £500 excess, leave a copy of your driving license and bring it back with some petrol in it. When you go for a test ride, forget all that knee down, rev the nuts off the thing sort of stuff you read in MCN, just ride it and take an take an occasional look at the speedo. You be surprised just how quick it is and how it just charges through traffic. Try to ignore the odd bits like the awful indicator system, ABS and slighty odd suspension movements. These take a bit of getting used to but everyone can manage them.

The GS is about real speed over real distances without hassle not overage kiddies in tight leather bragging about how their FZXQ can do 199 mph but gets through a back tyre before they hit Paris. In the real world the GS is probably faster over route in the UK than any other bike ridden by a sane person. This is real performance.

Andy

Any Beemer ,not just a GS is a aquired taste.You either like them or you dont.If you have just come from a VFR or a Hinkley Triumph you will notice a drop in power and different handling characteristics but once you get used to it,you will ask yourself"why didnt Iget one of these before now"
The main thing is to get a test ride on one before you buy as they dont suit everyone.

Flyer

The VFR is exactly that "Virtually Faultless & Reliable" you would have to try hard to beat it, but the GS has something about it that makes it a joy to ride, maybe the handling, it handles better than most sportsbikes, maybe the pure grunt out of the bends, maybe the riding position, high so you get a better view of the vanishing point or maybe all of these, we all make some changes to all our bikes, the GS just needs the cat thrown away.

Get a test ride and take it on roads you are familiar with on the VFR so you have a reference, you can have a GS as well as a VFR by the way.

Re: Flyer

Jimb said:
you can have a GS as well as a VFR by the way.

If only!

Although I don't really want two bikes. I'd just like a VFR wth some character!

It seems the advice (and I suppose I knew this) is to get a long test ride. Trouble is, if I do, and I like it, I have to find about 4 grand :~(

Flyer

Hello Flyer,

Try this...

Test ride GS.....Return to dealer.....try to talk to said dealer without grinning.....Go see bank manager.....Dealer revisited....Cock your leg over chosen GS....Enjoy!
It's that simple.

You won't regret it, I promise ;)

Beemer Bob

Just to give you some sort of indication...

I've had my GS one month

In that month, my Fireblade has done the sum total of 0 miles.

Some simple questions to Flyer -

How many times have you got the hero - blobs down while cornering on your VFR.
Or ridden 30 miles off-road down a stony,rocky fire-road through mountain forests in Europe,whilst carrying panniers and tailpack,before re-joining the Tarmac and cruising @ 80-90mph.

Probably never.

That's the difference with the GS1100/1150.

I've had a VFR750/800 and never got the pegs down.

But the GS is another story , my 2002 GS has got the footpegs ground off and scraped to the rubbers.

Now that gives you a real grin factor !!!

Hi JB

I'm not that botherred about getting the pegs down on any bike - though I do enjoy that endless surge of power from the VFR when I flick my wrist. And that V4 engine is soooo smooth.

The VFR is very competent - but 'uninvolving' and bland. That's what I'm looking to overcome.

Flyer

Flyer,
I was trying to portray the 'involving' factor that you say you're missing.
The VFR is a great bike , but certainly on the 800 , most of the usable power is above 6500 rpm and that equates to 100+mph , so is unusable in the UK , with the current anti-speed climate.
It's not merely about getting the 'pegs down' , but the sheer usability of the GS and being able to use 60-70% of the bike's ability and potential, whereas on the VFR I could only use 30-40% of the bike's potential ( I could only get about 10% of the potential of an R1).
I equate using the bike's potential to the Grin factor and enjoyment of this particular machine. For me the GS does it and I've 12,000 miles in 6 short months on my latest 2002 1150 - on 2 European tours , a couple of GS Club weekends and a 4 day trip to Scotland (the bike is only used for leisure and I use my car Mon-Fri).
Hope this helps you decide to take a test ride.

gs or not

Hi there have owned my GS sum total of ten days and havent stopped grinning wonderful bike ,have tried any jap bike you care to mention non has got the grin factor, once you realise travellin at mach1 is not the only thing to be gained from 2 wheels .Im a confirmed GS,AHOLIC
Cheers Wes:p

I borrowed an Adventure while my 650 was in for a service.
I hated it for the first 50 miles, stopped for a break and then continued.
I relaxed and let the bike do the work instead of forcing it. Result bliss!
Someone lend's £10,000....or 10 people lend me £1,000.....

Go on! Please!

Chris

PS I'm biased: I had 2 R100GSs in the past - fastest "all day bike".

Flyer said:
Hi JB

I'm not that botherred about getting the pegs down on any bike - though I do enjoy that endless surge of power from the VFR when I flick my wrist. And that V4 engine is soooo smooth.

The VFR is very competent - but 'uninvolving' and bland. That's what I'm looking to overcome.

Flyer

You said it. I took a VFR out for a test ride a couple of months ago. It was a fantastic bike, but I know that after a month or two I would have ben ready for a change: It has no "character".

The difference in performance is really not an issue for me as I live in Jersey! I think that I currently use about 20% of my Triumph's capability at the moment. If it was an option, I would keep the Triumph and buy a GS, but it isn't and I am really looking for something more "all round" with more comfort, useable performance and more practical for those weekends in France.

Flyer

One of the biggest differences between the GS and the VFR is the riding position. On the VFR, even with its 'sports tourer' tag, you are relatively head down so that looking ahead means cranking your neck backwards and your eye level is still quite low down.

On the GS you sit head up and level. This combined with the high riding position means that you observe much more of the road ahead, ultimately increasing your average speed.

Its great fun to breeze past groups of sport bikes that are queued up behind a row of cars just because they cannot see whats coming the other way; and then when they finally overtake you on a long straight, tag on the back of the group and watch them try really hard to lose you.

I have gone from a VFR 800 to the 650GS and in most situations find the 650 just as fast and loads more relaxing to ride. After I bought the GS I rode the VFR about twice in six months.

It is easy to get carried away with bhp figures. In the real world the VFR is almost as fast as most dedicated sport bikes and the GS is as fast as either.

Tim

Flyer

I'm just in the process of changing from a 2002 model VFR Vtec to a new GS.

I bought the VFR as i was getting too old for my 600 supersports, my wrists would ache after half an hour and after a day in the saddle I could hardly walk. Added to that 6 points in a year and 2 bikes stolen pushing my premiums to the limits.

So at the ripe old age of 32 I decided that enough was enough I had to find something which still gave me my thrills but was more likely to keep the licence in my wallet.

So the choice came down to the VFR or the 1150GS and price and availability pushed me to the VFR, although fully loaded with ABS and paniers it was close to £9k.

That was six months ago - I have barely covered 2000mls since then - I find the bike lethargic after my maniacal 600's, the Vtec comes in with a jolt, the low speed handling is compromised by a fuel injection system which snatches from the off position and leaves me using the clutch endlessly to ease away in traffic. AND the riding position is still forward enough to continue to punish my poor wrists and back. Added to that - to get any fun out of it you're still at double the legal limit.

So I'm now really feeling the punishment - you'll be looking at a 2nd hand GS if £4k is all you need to get you switched - I'm being offered a miserly £5,600 for my 6 month old 2000ml immaculate £9k new VFR. Which leaves me with another £3k+ to find to make the swap but I'm doing it anyway because I might as well not have a bike if I keep the VFR.

I took a GS out for a day from BMW Park Lane and was totally hooked. Most of the reasons have been laboured here endlessly but there is something about the bike which means it has you smiling without pushing your speed well into treble figures and something pleasing about knowing that you are riding a bike that could take you just about anywhere you want to go.

Sorry to bore you all to death with much the same flag waving as everyone else here but hell thought i'd put my 2 pennies in!

You won't look back

Flyer

I had the same problem as you - trading from a reliable Japanese bike to something a bit different. As everyone else says, get yourself a test ride. I got hooked from a 15 minute ride and bought one within a month. BMW dealers seem much happier to let you take one out for ride than others and a couple of hours will tell you what you need to know.

Key points are:

1 - the bike inspires a level of confidence I never felt on my previous bike you know what it will do and that it will go around the corner - I had brand new tyres on mine and I've been nearly to the edge after only a couple of hundred miles

2 - the view from up there is fantastic which means you can commit more easily than an R1 rider with his head a couple of feet lower

3 - its big and heavy to push around and you will drop it, but don't worry

4 - you can ride it to the max from day one - I was out last weekend and had no problem keeping up with GSXR750s because I could get to the power more often and for longer

5 - the indicators take some getting used to

6 - they draw more looks than a fleet of VFRs

7 - be prepared to sell your soal if necessary in order to buy one because you won't be able to resist!

Back
Top Bottom