Satmap GPS

redzed

Reaction score
Has anyone here tried the Satmap GPS. I was looking online at azcari.com and it seems to be good piece of kit for off road use.

Very expensive. TBM have an introductory discount of £299 for the device and £159 for the mapping (if memory serves) That's an awful lot of money for a gps. Too much i'd say.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem to do routing. The website says there are maps available which will do routing from their partner Snooper, but no mention on the Snooper website. If it doesn't do routing, as far as I'm concerned it's not much use on UK trails as you always need road work to get from one to the other. PLus, the routable maps will be extra cost.

The Garmin Oregon 400 series has OS dual layer maps and does on road and off road navigation. Also not cheap at £400 ish including whole of UK OS 1:50k routable maps.

Has anyone here tried the Satmap GPS. I was looking online at azcari.com and it seems to be good piece of kit for off road use.

Sort out the mounting of it first :tears ! if you're spending yer beer tokens on it.

I have a dummy case sample on my desk and have nothing 'universal' that suits the shape and OEM did not want to invest in one :augie

I've just bought a bike mount for my Satmap Active 10 and I'm a bit underwhelmed - the first time out on the trails the ratchet slackened off and after a couple of hours it was just flopping about on the handlebars.

However, I did notice the strange "Abus" logo on the mount - strange because Abus make locks and not GPSs. It turns out that Satmap seem to have saved a bit on the design by repurposing a type of mount that Abus use for their locks, no doubt to save on development costs. If you google for "abus under saddle klick fix" there is an alternative type of mount that may well fit to a generic RAM bracket - http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=10058.

Time for a little detective work.

I've just bought a bike mount for my Satmap Active 10 and I'm a bit underwhelmed - the first time out on the trails the ratchet slackened off and after a couple of hours it was just flopping about on the handlebars.

However, I did notice the strange "Abus" logo on the mount - strange because Abus make locks and not GPSs. It turns out that Satmap seem to have saved a bit on the design by repurposing a type of mount that Abus use for their locks, no doubt to save on development costs. If you google for "abus under saddle klick fix" there is an alternative type of mount that may well fit to a generic RAM bracket - http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=10058.

Time for a little detective work.

:augie If only .. :blast I have commented on this unit several times already. I have a dummy cased unit within arms reach and it needs a cradle , but Womble you is spot on :augie and as yet have found nothing to fit it, not even the UN4 universal holder, due to case shape.

Back
Top Bottom